Will music from itunes sound bad in the hd600?
Aug 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
Im planning on buying the hd600 soon, but all of my songs are from itunes which are recorded poorly. Is the hd600 not worth getting if I only have songs from itunes (the only headphone I currently have is the m50). The problem is a lot of the music I listen to is modern so there isn't a version which isn't compressed, but I also listen to older bands. The older bands which I currently listen to are metallica, nirvana, and AC/DC (I'll probably listen to more older bands in the future), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to properly recorded versions of them. In case you know where I can buy good versions of the albums of those bands I listen to, PLEASE pm me. (I prefer downloads, but cd's are fine)

Albums I listen to:

Metallica:
black album
master of puppets
...and justice for all
ride the lightning

Nirvana:
nevermind

AC/DC:
the greatest salute to AC/DC

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
Im planning on buying the hd600 soon, but all of my songs are from itunes which are recorded poorly. Is the hd600 not worth getting if I only have songs from itunes (the only headphone I currently have is the m50). The problem is a lot of the music I listen to is modern so there isn't a version which isn't compressed, but I also listen to older bands. The older bands which I currently listen to are metallica, nirvana, and AC/DC (I'll probably listen to more older bands in the future), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to properly recorded versions of them. In case you know where I can buy good versions of the albums of those bands I listen to, PLEASE pm me. (I prefer downloads, but cd's are fine)

Albums I listen to:

Metallica:
black album
master of puppets
...and justice for all
ride the lightning

Nirvana:
nevermind

AC/DC:

Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality. Itunes sell music at 256 kbps, which is really close to lossless format. What I don't like about AC/DC is that you have to buy their albums... and I don't find all their songs to be great (I rarely do with other bands as well). Wish I could just buy one song at a time but I know they're opposed to that. Amazon sells their CDs for quite a low price. Metals in general aren't recorded as well as other genres though. Just sayin' 

Mm to be honest I don't find any of the Sennheisers to be suitable for metal, although something more on the energetic side like the HD598 is okay. But then it really depends on the person. Hopefully you listen to genres other than metal to take full advantage of the HD600. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 20
You should be fine with Itunes downloads.  Some people say they can't hear a difference between them and the Cds. 

As for your favorites.  There is a MFSL CD of Nevermind that I prefer to the regular issue, but it isn't a night and day difference.  IMO it's not worth the extra money it commands. Stay away from the recent remaster.

There are DCC CDs of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" that are supposed to be better than the regular CDs, but I've never heard them. Both of them were mastered without compression. Good luck finding those for less than $50.  Here are links to them on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Puppets-Metallica/dp/B00000JCRH/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937215&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Lightning-Metallica/dp/B000044U4B/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937137&sr=8-1

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality. Itunes sell music at 256 kbps, which is really close to lossless format. What I don't like about AC/DC is that you have to buy their albums... and I don't find all their songs to be great (I rarely do with other bands as well). Wish I could just buy one song at a time but I know they're opposed to that. Amazon sells their CDs for quite a low price. Metals in general aren't recorded as well as other genres though. Just sayin' 

Mm to be honest I don't find any of the Sennheisers to be suitable for metal, although something more on the energetic side like the HD598 is okay. But then it really depends on the person. Hopefully you listen to genres other than metal to take full advantage of the HD600. 

Metal, rock, pop rock, and electronic music are the genres I most listen to. I'm considering grado's but I want smooth high and forward mids, and the hd598 lacks some bass, although its a vable option for me considering it's soundstage. As for the CDs, do you think they will be a night and day difference over itunes songs or do you think I will e fine with them like Radioking59 said? Also, in case I were to buy a used cd on amazon, how would I know if it's recorded properly?

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
You should be fine with Itunes downloads.  Some people say they can't hear a difference between them and the Cds. 

As for your favorites.  There is a MFSL CD of Nevermind that I prefer to the regular issue, but it isn't a night and day difference.  IMO it's not worth the extra money it commands. Stay away from the recent remaster.

There are DCC CDs of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" that are supposed to be better than the regular CDs, but I've never heard them. Both of them were mastered without compression. Good luck finding those for less than $50.  Here are links to them on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Puppets-Metallica/dp/B00000JCRH/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937215&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Lightning-Metallica/dp/B000044U4B/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937137&sr=8-1

These are really expensive... I might stick with itunes. Does hdtracks.com offer some good quality albums or will I notice almost no difference over the itunes songs?

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Albums I listen to:

Metallica:
black album
master of puppets
...and justice for all
ride the lightning

Nirvana:
nevermind

AC/DC:

Besides the bit-perfect thing, don't let iTunes hold you back from enjoying your Hifimans. Also, as long as you have preferablely lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps mp3's you should be fine. 

I understand your concern for listening to high compression mastered music, but I wouldn't let that ruin it for you honestly (at least if there isn't a choice).

Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality.

This X100. This well make an arguably much larger difference than worrying about mastering compression and buying off of itunes.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
These are really expensive... I might stick with itunes. Does hdtracks.com offer some good quality albums or will I notice almost no difference over the itunes songs?

You can't make a general statement on HDtracks quality.  It is on an album to album basis.  Most albums on HDtracks are 24 bit. Do you have a 24 bit DAC?  I do know the 24bit "Nevermind" on HDtracks is compressed to hell.  The original CD is all you need for that title.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Besides the bit-perfect thing, don't let iTunes hold you back from enjoying your Hifimans. Also, as long as you have preferablely lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps mp3's you should be fine. 

I understand your concern for listening to high compression mastered music, but I wouldn't let that ruin it for you honestly (at least if there isn't a choice).

This X100. This well make an arguably much larger difference than worrying about mastering compression and buying off of itunes.

I don't understand what lossless means ("as long as you have preferably lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps and mp3s" and "its best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality" I dont understand what you and nimbleturtle meant...) and if I were to buy CD and convert it lossless, would there be a big dofference between what CD to buy?

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
I don't understand what lossless means ("as long as you have preferably lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps and mp3s" and "its best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality" I dont understand what you and nimbleturtle meant...) and if I were to buy CD and convert it lossless, would there be a big dofference between what CD to buy?

I think this covers lossless vs lossy pretty well.

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

Please note that there are two different types of compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression

When I say an album is compressed, I'm talking about dynamic range compression.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
I think this covers lossless vs lossy pretty well.

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

Please note that there are two different types of compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression

When I say an album is compressed, I'm talking about dynamic range compression.

thanks. You said it was best not to let the quality of the music ruin my experience, but I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
 I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
thanks. You said it was best not to let the quality of the music ruin my experience, but I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

That is pretty much false, high-end headphones won't sound outright worse than lower-end ones unless something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along time line (improper amping or something), but some higher-end ones are better at picking out the flaws in poorly compressed/recorded music.

256kbps AAC is pretty good though, and you probably won't have any problems with it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
That is pretty much false, high-end headphones won't sound outright worse than lower-end ones unless something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along time line (improper amping or something), but some higher-end ones are better at picking out the flaws in poorly compressed/recorded music.

256kbps AAC is pretty good though, and you probably won't have any problems with it.

thats a relief :)
256kbps AAC is an itunes song?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back