Will I lose sound quality if I use an optical line splitter?
Feb 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gatecrasher

Head-Fier
So I just bought a headphone amp that I have connected to my PC, I needed to connect it via optical because for some reason I could NOT get it to work via USB.  Now the problem is my speakers also connect optical, so right now Im switching what the optical cable is connect to depending if I want to use my speakers or headphones, obviously that’s not a good solution.  So I was looking at getting an optical line splitter, so I can have two optical lines running from my computer, one to the speakers and the other to the headphone amp. 
Just wondering though, I heard a long time ago that optical line splitters reduce sound quality, anyone know if that is true?  

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 2
Some users report that the signal becomes problematic with SPDIF splitters and they experience drop outs and static. If it is keeping the signal strength from input to both the outputs equal you should be good to go, but if it is splitting the input into two equally strong signals that are 1/2 the original signal I can see where problem might develop.

What amp / DAC are you using and what operating system? Maybe we can help you get the USB up and working at which point you can purchase a USB splitter which could be self-powered and have fewer issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back