Will an SSD last longer than an HDD (in laptops)?
Sep 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
is there any evidence that an SSD will last longer than an HDD ?

I've heard that the SSD has no moving parts, less heat, so it should last longer.  Given that I take my laptop with me often, would I get more years out of a laptop solely with an SSD ?

even if SSDs last longer, would it be worth the investment or would I have to worry about some other part going out before

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 6
On average I would say an SSD should last longer than an HDD, but like any product it is possible to get a lemon. But it will probably increase the battery life of your Laptop and make it less prone to losing data by dropping it or something.

If you get a reliable company's SSD then all you would have to worry about is the writes of the SSD wearing out. And even under heavy use I've seen some SSDs could last multiple years over. It just depends if you want to spend that money on a smaller hard drive even with it's benefits.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
On average I would say an SSD should last longer than an HDD, but like any product it is possible to get a lemon. But it will probably increase the battery life of your Laptop and make it less prone to losing data by dropping it or something.

If you get a reliable company's SSD then all you would have to worry about is the writes of the SSD wearing out. And even under heavy use I've seen some SSDs could last multiple years over. It just depends if you want to spend that money on a smaller hard drive even with it's benefits.

+1 also make sure you look for the newest, fastest, most durable SSD when purchasing. When it comes to SSD you really get what you pay for. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 6
SSD has no mechanical moving parts whatsoever. It will be faster and will last longer. However, I suggest you keep using your HDD for a while longer while SSD prices drop :)

And laptops last forever unless you break them physically. Why would it break down for no reason? If your HDD breaks, you just get a new one or invest in an SSD.

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm sure you've read it before if you've done some research on SSD, my desktop boots up in 15 seconds with my Kingston SSD.  It's beautiful.  I've also re-imaged it with Win 7 in 15 minutes.

IMHO, SSD prices have dropped sufficiently to buy one to upgrade from a standard HDD.  Assuming you're in the USA, check Newegg for those sexy Samsung SSD's.  I keep seeing price drops on SSD's on Newegg every weekend.  120GB drives down to $60-80 every weekend for the last three.  Jump on one if you can!  

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I'm sure you've read it before if you've done some research on SSD, my desktop boots up in 15 seconds with my Kingston SSD.  It's beautiful.  I've also re-imaged it with Win 7 in 15 minutes.

IMHO, SSD prices have dropped sufficiently to buy one to upgrade from a standard HDD.  Assuming you're in the USA, check Newegg for those sexy Samsung SSD's.  I keep seeing price drops on SSD's on Newegg every weekend.  120GB drives down to $60-80 every weekend for the last three.  Jump on one if you can!  

samsung, intel, crucial.

those are my pics. but again all three companies sell different versions so it would be good to be the best one you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back