will amazon lower the price of the beyers again?
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
as may know ill be getiing several cans in the next few months. but what really bothers me is my wrong timing for buying cans. if i decided to start this a couple months ago i could have gotten the top 3 beyers(770,880,990) for around 400. the problem is amazon just jacked them back up to normal price if not higher than normal. so do you think they will do it again. i already bought the 990 but still want to try out its cousins.
before buying anymore beyers ill be getting hd650 or k702 or hfi 780
im not in a rush, ill probably get them 3-4 months form now, if the prices fall that is.

btw i didnt put any of my source or musical preference........ ill just want to know your ideas about amazon's pricing scheme

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 20
oh is that too much.
smily_headphones1.gif
it just really bothers me that i miss out on that opportunity.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 20
You will never know. Who knows if they will sell them for half price during Christmas season? Even if that happens, I wouldn't wait to get them.
But it doesn't mean that I will buy them at whatever price they throw at me. I would check many places for best price + used on FS section.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 20
In my opinion, when waiting for a pair of headphones to drop in price, you have to set a target price that isn't too ridiculous and just wait for that price to be met. If they go down the week after you buy them by $10, you can't complain because you got them at the price you were willing to pay.

On topic, though, I'd like to think Amazon will reduce the price, if they do I might happen to get another set. However, I don't think they will until newer models come out in the same price bracket...

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 20
I see Amazon is using a different supplier for beyerdynamic headphones now and that is probably partly why they cost more now. Their last supplier were dickheads. I should know because I bought DT990pro through them and made a complaint to Amazon about the companies poor treatment over a screw up they made in my order.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 20
Amazon changes prices very fluidly depending on stock and other factors. It is actually incredible that they can run that kind of business efficiently on such a huge scale. The upshot of that is that, yes, the beyers will drop in price eventually. You won't be able to tell how much etc, but they will drop.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 20
I've heard that the only difference between the 880 and the 990 is a piece of felt, does anyone know how to do this? It would be a lot cheaper that buying the 880 as well.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 20
Try eBay, instead. New DT770 Pros (80 ohm) are $150 with free priority shipping from a seller with extremely good feedback. I just ordered Thursday night and the headphones were shipped early Friday.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try eBay, instead. New DT770 Pros (80 ohm) are $150 with free priority shipping from a seller with extremely good feedback. I just ordered Thursday night and the headphones were shipped early Friday.

These are not new 2005 Premium line, sound very different with a lot of bass and recessed mids.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are not new 2005 Premium line, sound very different with a lot of bass and recessed mids.

x2
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the 600Ω from moonaudio, they're far better than the 250Ω and well worth the price

for rightnow i will only be pairing them with the cantate. so i really dont want a power hungry cans.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for rightnow i will only be pairing them with the cantate. so i really dont want a power hungry cans.

this? Meier Audio

it looks very capable of running 600Ω, the beyer's have a low 86dB sensitivity...they're very easy to drive, and a major leap forward from the 250's, ask Skylab
atsmile.gif

I'm listening to some lossless 24/96 atm, these things just sound astonishing
happy_face1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard that the only difference between the 880 and the 990 is a piece of felt, does anyone know how to do this? It would be a lot cheaper that buying the 880 as well.

TBH, it goes further than that. You can find a thread that pretty much confirmed that DT770, DT880 and DT990 all used the same drivers. It's just the construction, materials and design that is different. All those factors make a huge difference in the sound though.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TBH, it goes further than that. You can find a thread that pretty much confirmed that DT770, DT880 and DT990 all used the same drivers. It's just the construction, materials and design that is different. All those factors make a huge difference in the sound though.

I just remember reading that if you put a piece of felt in the right place in a pair of DT990s then you get the same sound as with the DT880, and vice versa, so I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Unfortunately I don't know where or how to attach the felt, so I'm kind of stuck for now.
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back