Wicked Cushions and other gel earpads
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zuiner2

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm interested to try gel earpads. I hope they will help me to wear full size headphones in warm weather.
I found out that the most popular brand making them is Wicked Cushions.
But strangely I can't find a single photo of what is actually inside of Wicked Cushions gel earpads.

I found some other brand's earpads. Like Dekoni and Misodiko. And there is a thin layer of gel on top of the foam.

But what is inside Wicked Cushions? Only gel and no foam? Can somebody tell me?

And are gel pads even good for hot or warm weather?

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
They don't breathe at all because the foam is so dense. Do you have the headphones picked out yet? There's some like the Hifiman HE5xx and Ananda that have a cloth pad material and open back design to handle ventilation better. Velour is the best with regular foam, the gel coating locks out any chance of circulation. I'm in Florida and would really recommend at a low budget the Phillips SHP9500 which is really well ventilated and affordable, or Hifiman HE5xx or Ananda to keep cool. IEMs are something to consider too. The 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 I use are affordable and really convenient for travel or heat waves.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 4
They don't breathe at all because the foam is so dense. Do you have the headphones picked out yet? There's some like the Hifiman HE5xx and Ananda that have a cloth pad material and open back design to handle ventilation better. Velour is the best with regular foam, the gel coating locks out any chance of circulation. I'm in Florida and would really recommend at a low budget the Phillips SHP9500 which is really well ventilated and affordable, or Hifiman HE5xx or Ananda to keep cool. IEMs are something to consider too. The 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 I use are affordable and really convenient for travel or heat waves.
I actually have a lot of headphones and IEMs. And I've tried a lot of different earpads but not gel ones. So I'm just curious about them specifically.
I'm particularly interested in using gel earpads outdoors in warm weather. Headphones I usually use outdoors: MrSreakers Ether Closed, Oppo PM-3 and Audeze Sine. All of them are closed planars. And in warm weather my ears and regions around them are getting hot and sweaty. So if gel can help to reduce it that would be very nice.

I believe for PM-3 I can try Wicked Cushions for Audio-Technica. Maybe something can fit Ether.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back