Why Vinyl sounds better than CD/DVD? here's why
Dec 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #31 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As do I, although my experience is that even an immaculately cleaned record is still going to have a considerable amount of pops and ticks.

I'm sorry but that has not been my experience at all. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:

Moreover, none of this has anything to do with one's equipment, regardless of how much you'd like to point out how much better your rig is than everybody else's.

I am pretty sure I have not mentioned one bit of info in this thread about my rig(s) other than my strong preference for suspended turntables.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #32 of 129
My theory is that CD is far less distorted then Vinyl, it comes closer to 'the real thing' in ways like dynamics and tonal balance; however, the small distortion there is in CD is unpleasant to listen too (I hear it as unpleasant treble and a lack of real warmth), the technically larger distortions of vinyl are neutral or slightly euphonic.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #33 of 129
unless somebody invents a vinyl plaer that fits into my pocket, i think i'll have to stick with my portable music player, for now.

... unless there's a kit that lets me make my own vinyls for home - yeah, that'd be awesome. true digital to analogue, would recording a digital source onto an analogue medium bring back the warmth (and the love)? there are so many tunes i simply cannot get on vinyl... *sweet dreams are made of this*

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are so many tunes i simply cannot get on vinyl... *sweet dreams are made of this*

Well you can get that tune on vinyl .... released in 83' RCA AFL1-4681.
Good record...
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless somebody invents a vinyl plaer that fits into my pocket, i think i'll have to stick with my portable music player, for now.

... unless there's a kit that lets me make my own vinyls for home - yeah, that'd be awesome. true digital to analogue, would recording a digital source onto an analogue medium bring back the warmth (and the love)? there are so many tunes i simply cannot get on vinyl... *sweet dreams are made of this*

With enough money, you can do just about anything:
Vestax Corporation

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #36 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My theory is that CD is far less distorted then Vinyl, it comes closer to 'the real thing' in ways like dynamics and tonal balance; however, the small distortion there is in CD is unpleasant to listen too (I hear it as unpleasant treble and a lack of real warmth), the technically larger distortions of vinyl are neutral or slightly euphonic.

Just like the Tubes versus SS argument.

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 129
In most cases vinyl sounds better. But a well recorded CD can be enjoyable too even if it has a thinner sound. It's all about the balance of the recording.
I love SACD too. Awesome!

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #39 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious now. Which DAC would be more accurate, Non-oversampling or oversampling?

Accurate to the cd would be the NOS. Accurate to the recording is hard to say, it depends on the algorithm used to OS the signal. I would argue that both can have good results when done right and simply add another flavor to the head-fi world.

Dave

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 129
Quote:

A decent and well setup vinyl rig playing properly cleaned, mint records will still have numerous pops and ticks.

Whether the listener is patient and exacting enough to notice them, and if the music has a sufficient dynamic range to illustrate them, is a different matter entirely.

Actually this is not true.

I designed a record cleaning machine that has played albums over 250 times without any additional noise added to the record. The lead in groove is silent.

I suppose I could make a few more of the machines.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #41 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I designed a record cleaning machine that has played albums over 250 times without any additional noise added to the record. The lead in groove is silent.

I suppose I could make a few more of the machines.

Very interesting Golden Ears, would love to hear more about it. I would gladly try it out.

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #42 of 129
Yeah, sign me up for that review, golden ears. I may do a little more dumpster diving if I could get the things clean.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #44 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you hit the nail on the head here sort of. CD and vinyl are both distorted in everyday use it's just that the distortions of clean well kept vinyl are less intrusive to enjoyment of music than CD for many people.

While CD may have far better measurements if you apply the metrics traditionally used to measure analogue playback devices, ie things like wow and flutter arn't present, it has different kinds of less obvious distortion which are more insidious.

While it's possible no doubt to have theoretically perfect smooth sine waves in real world usage imperfect ADCs and DACs only allow flawed facsimilies or error corrected simulations which is what the article the OP quotes alludes to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back