Why the majority of your CDs sound horrible.
Jan 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #31 of 217
I recently mp3gained (reduced obviously) my entire collection. The record was ministry at 103.4 db.
blink.gif

Not that anyone would do critical listening of ministry but well.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
more fatiguing than others.

Not sure if anything is as fatiguing as your avy of nikongod and his akg he has hostage there..that pic seems like it resurfaces more and more
blink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #34 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to reduce or eliminate the fatiguing symptoms of compression with a DSP or limiter or something, because I'm starting to actually notice it now in those 'hot' recordings the article has spoken of...

I always wondered why some stuff was more fatiguing than others.

on a side note - Warmen, you are using Nikongod's pic as your avvy? don't make me namefilter you out just so i can't see that thing everywhere!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #35 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When and where have you guys been actually annoyed by this compression? On what albums did you notice it to the point where it bothered you?

I have a bunch I've found...with the most recent being the Dropkick Murphy's album "The Warrior's Code".

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #36 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a side note - Warmen, you are using Nikongod's pic as your avvy? don't make me namefilter you out just so i can't see that thing everywhere!
evil_smiley.gif

X2

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoritomo79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently mp3gained (reduced obviously) my entire collection. The record was ministry at 103.4 db.
blink.gif

Not that anyone would do critical listening of ministry but well.

If the source for the mp3 was clipped or heavily compressed, there is nothing that mp3gain can do to restore the audio.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #38 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Dani California off the CD version of Stadium Arcadium. Check out the last 1/3 of the track... can't see ANY black.
blink.gif

w42480873.gif

*sigh* What I would give for somebody to do a needle-drop of the Steve Hoffman-engineered Vinyl master of Stadium Arcadium
frown.gif

That's what the beatport.wav files look like. Awful. I used to compress everything. I am not doing that anymore. These days my RNC is sitting in a dark room.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #39 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeagramSeven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CD format is significantly more powerful in what it can do than a vinyl release. There really is no argument there.

The problem arises from the fact that since so much more is possible, there are alot of new ways to cause problems that did not exist before. "

On the wall of every studio there should be the following quote from a very famous person.

"Homie, I didn't say you COULDN'T, I said YOU SHOULDN'T"

Deep frying t-shirts, mastering sessions, it's all the same stuff.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #41 of 217
Quote:

I guess I don't see why Bob Dylan can't get the type of mastering he want's. I think he wants to have his cake and eat it too, complain about over-compressed recordings but still do it to make money.

I don't feel that Dylan's new CD is overly compressed or overly engineered. I think his stuff sounds great, but I haven't critically listened to it. When you go back and listen to his early stuff, you can definately hear the difference in the quality of the instruments' (his voice?) sound. This isn't a compression issue, this is the advancement of the technology we used to record sound waves.

When you listen to Spector produced music, its a wall of music. But its not loudness, its just layers and layers of sounds. Piles of sound. Unheard of when introduced but its a totaly different animal than overly compressed walls of sound.

When I listen to Californication from the Peppers, its not thick and rich. its just loud, punked and an assault on my ears. Maybe, this is the sound they are after. I've never listened to vynil cuts of their stuff. I know that the sound of Fly's bass is clipped. The drums are distorted.

Its like Ok Go or Jet. Their CDs sound like recordings of Garage bands. Jet is overly compressed, at least for Get Born. I would like to think thats the sound they wanted. That raw, rocking, just plugged in sound thats loud enough to piss off the neighbors who are trying to sleep next door (or impress their 16 year old daughter).

In my perfect world I hope thats how they want me to hear them. If its too loud, maybe they want me to feel too old.

But honestly, Music is dynamic. Its the Crash of the waves on the rocks or the gentle ebbing of the tide from the sandy shore. Its the whisper of a sigh or gasp of breathing. It is the pounding of the drums or the screaming of an electric guitar. it is the breath of the fingers sliding over the strings of an accoustical guitar. (Chains, Fleetwoodmac's Rumors. Sounds like voices, but I believe its lindsey buckingham's fingers on the strings). Its hearing the sound of the piano's peddle coming up when the song is over. Its the smile that comes to your mind durning the pause between tracks.

Music is supposed to be made of segments that are Loud and parts are soft. The thorns on the stems and the velvet smoothness of the petals. I honestly feel it should be recorded that way and left to the listener to decide how loudly he or she wants to play it back.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #44 of 217
It's seems very simple. Crappy engineering = Crappy sound. The loudness war has contributed to this problem....the real blame is on the producers. I think the downfall started when musicians stopped playing real instruments and used the digital crutch. I'm an analog guy stuck in a digital world.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #45 of 217
I hava a cd by The Cure - Disintergration. it says, 'mastered to be played loud'. I have to turn it up louder than my more modern cd's. Does this mean it is mastered better?

BTW, this topic has made me depressed.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back