Why so little about SONY EX-700 ?
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lorafenik

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I was wondering why there's so little info about them here on head-fi. They seem to be quite popular choice, yet there are no reviews about them and few comparisons to otheres.

Besides curiosity, I'm asking because a friend has them and I would like to know how do they compare to Monster Turbines, RE0, Etmotic ER4 or other IEMs, as I'm willing to buy some of the further.

pzdr
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Unfortunately the EX700 are not very good in the grand scheme of things which is why there isn't much attention for them here...

I haven't used my pair in a while now
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately the EX700 are not very good in the grand scheme of things which is why there isn't much attention for them here...

I haven't used my pair in a while now
frown.gif

why are they not very good duncan? i was intrested in these the other week when i saw them on iheadphones, sony made them sound quite impressive(marketing i know)
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 10
It's shows up on polish version of ebay quite often. Way more than eg Senn IE8. There are loads of fakes of it. Just that.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pavoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony is common brand, so thats why many people don't buy it....if you know what I mean, btw I'm using ex300 tho

er....no I don't know what you mean.

Panasonic is also a very common brand and their top of the line IEMs are highly regarded here.

For 35 dollar IEM, the ex300 aren't so bad.

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 10
For a few months I had the EX700's and the RE0's at the same time to compare. I could very easily say that the RE0 was the better IEM. The EX700's main problem is with its terrible harshness - a really sibilant sounding IEM that was difficult for me to listen to for more than an hour. This harshness in the treble didn't translate into extra detail though - the RE0's were easily more transparent. The EX700's bass extended quite far and was very fast, but there was actually very little of it - compared to other Sony IEMs like the EX-85's (which I've owned) and the EX-500's (I'm guessing from the descriptions I've read) the EX700 really lacked warmth and any sense of engaging timbre. The only genre that they seemed to do well with was fast electronic music, or pop music with lots of synthesizers. Even then the RE0's were superior.

The nicest thing I can say about the EX700's is that the build quality is great and they look fantastic. They don't even isolate fantastically. Don't get me wrong, I loved my EX-82s and in general I love Sony products, but the EX700 was a big disappointment.

Considering that at the time I compared them the EX700 only cost twice as much as the RE0 (in Australia) I thought the EX700's were laughably bad value. Now that the RE0 is available at its current fantastic price, and with so many good options around the EX700 price range, I would stay well away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back