Why Senn, Grado, AKG don't demo in Apple store?
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
So we all know that Bose is phenomenal in their marketing and not so much in the sound quality of their headphones. BUT, these are the only headphones that are on the demo table with ipods in the apple store and I wondered why Senn, Grado, AKG, and Beyer don't demo there. It seems that if the types of people who go into the Apple store are already to plop down bose prices and buy the millions of ipod accessories, why are the headphone companies not showcasing their products more to consumers? Puzzles me, that's all.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 22
Because they cant.

This is how it works:

Bose pays Apple a lot of money to have only Bose headphones for demo at these places. Bose spends tons of money on marketing, much more than any other headphone company I know of. Therefore no other company can compete with Bose with this marketing war.

Apple just doesnt care about quality, they are a company that does style. Bose is the same. Pea's in a pod and both making money.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Why Senn, Grado, AKG don't demo in Apple store?

Because they're too good for the like of the fashionist Apple
wink.gif

However, some here have seen Senn 650 at a few Apple stores lately
blink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 22
I was at the Apple Store in the Galleria, in Houston briefly a month ago. They had the Shure IEM line there, the Bang and Olefson earclip, and another B & O headphone I think. Although I did not see the 650, I did see some Sennheiser there. All these headphones package in the plastic boxes that hang on the straight rod display cases. Was only slightly different than what hangs on the wall at Circuit City here at home. Don't remember looking, they might have had the Koss EarPlugs too.
wink.gif

Only the Ipod ear buds and some Triports were actually available to try out.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Apple just doesnt care about quality, they are a company that does style. Bose is the same. Pea's in a pod and both making money.

I wouldnt be so harsh on Apple but yes, I agree Bose probably has an exclusive contract for rights to demo their cans in apple stores. crappy situation....

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying

stupid statement, considering they both make good quality (i.e., well built) stuff
rolleyes.gif

you might not like using macs or you might not like the way bose sounds but to say they don't care about quality is stupid.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 22
^

Bose cares about build-quality?

That's the first time I've heard someone say that. Bose headphones probably have the worst build quality of any decent headphone. Look at the Triport, cable's thin as hell, the headband cracks so easily, etc. Same thing with the QuietComfort.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 22
Grado can't supply every Apple store with headphones. They don't have the output. It's a small company.

Sennheiser now has HD650s in many Apple Stores.

I don't know what's up with AKG.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
stupid statement, considering they both make good quality (i.e., well built) stuff
rolleyes.gif

you might not like using macs or you might not like the way bose sounds but to say they don't care about quality is stupid.

no offense but apple is not reknowned for quality, innovation yes but not quality,

the new powerbooks have overheating problems, the shells have colour distortions and most laptop batteries are being recalled,

dell had similar problems a while back, so apple is not at the forefront regarding quality,

considering macs cost more than wintels, i would say they are bad value for money

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 22
Don't go turning this into a Win Vs. Mac thing...

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 22
one reason you don't see those high-end headphones at apple stores is probably because they don't sound good unamped out of an ipod. also, those big, full-sized headphones aren't exactly portable, while the ipods are marketed as portable audio devices.

regarding bose build quality, it seems that bose has addressed the headband issue on the triports. the current triports on display seem to have a slightly different design at the faulty spot.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
Probably not pretty enough for apple. But they really should have those AKG K701s!

I can't wait...Nano + K701 w/o an amp...that should make people go nuts even more when they see the price tag of the K701!

"Well...even if I don't like the sound...look how expensive it is! It has to be good!"

You don't want to know HOW many times I heard that phrase used at the Apple store.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
no offense but apple is not reknowned for quality, innovation yes but not quality,

no offense taken. and you're probably right about this...quality probably wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions apple.

Quote:

the new powerbooks have overheating problems, the shells have colour distortions and most laptop batteries are being recalled,

dell had similar problems a while back, so apple is not at the forefront regarding quality,

yes, macs have their share of problems like any other computer company...but most of the recent polls/studies/data i've seen have apple at the top or near the top of quality-related statistics. name some computer companies that do better than apple. now, it's most certainly a case of all companies being rather poor in terms of quality and apple just the best of the worst...

Quote:

considering macs cost more than wintels, i would say they are bad value for money

not true for all macs and not true if you do a real comparison including length of ownership and software costs. you simply look at the lowest sticker price on an ad and come up with blanket statements.

i do not like the way bose products sound. and i am a mac user who has had his fair share of defective mac products. i am only saying that generalized statements such as "they don't care about quality" is stupid. it doesn't add to anything and doesn't answer the OPs observation about the lack of certain products on apple's displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back