Why not much discussion of the Sony MDR-SA1000 - 5000?
Jun 22, 2009 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Donald North

Member of the Trade: Donald North Audio and Riva Audio
I used to own a set of their MDR-SA3000 and thought they were good - natural sounding and detailed. Headband is a bit strange though.

Does anyone else have experience with the MDR-SA1000, SA-3000, SA-5000?

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 20
I listened to a balanced SA5000 at Canjam on the RSA Apache and it wasn't a pleasant experience as the tonality is WAY off IMO as everything took on a literal plasticky tone.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 20
I owned a pair of SA3000 for one month and I wont regret to let them go. Yes, they got too many details and make me tired when I listen to. As well as I feel their treble is quite harsh (I think my amp didnt drive them well, not the phones fault). Oh and I have to say they are not that comfortable. The ear pads are too rigid. Comfort is always my first thing. ^^

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 20
There have been lots of articles on the SA5000 as well as the CD3000 if you do a search.
The sony sound grows on you,and after a few months of listening everything else seems lacking.
I am at this moment listening on a pair of CD3000's and loving every moment of it.
If I want a bit more speed and detail then its the SA5000's that go on.
And if I feel the need for utter comfort then its the F1's.

You could say I like the Sony sound,as do many others.
If you are using portable gear with crap amps then forget them.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to a balanced SA5000 at Canjam on the RSA Apache and it wasn't a pleasant experience as the tonality is WAY off IMO as everything took on a literal plasticky tone.

what would be better? wood? metal? maybe nylon? Thanks for laugh.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 20
SA1000~5000 and Q10's tonality are just plain wrong (for many people)

They indeed bring a lot of details (but I still K701 deliever even more), but they don't bring these details in listenable way.

Listen some of very detailed phones like HP-1000, K701, DT880 and HD800. They also bring a lot of details but they bring them in much better, balanced, pleasent way.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA1000~5000 and Q10's tonality are just plain wrong (for many people)

Although they were released at the same time, the SA5000 has no relation sonically to the Qualia at all.

The essential problem was that the SA-5000 was a major sonic downgrade from the CD3000. I had SA-5000's, sold them, and have listened to them sporadically over the years. My reaction to them remains the same: Sony had a great product at that price point. Now they don't.

Beautiful example of what happens when you fix something that isn't broken.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although they were released at the same time, the SA5000 has no relation sonically to the Qualia at all.

The essential problem was that the SA-5000 was a major sonic downgrade from the CD3000. I had SA-5000's, sold them, and have listened to them sporadically over the years. My reaction to them remains the same: Sony had a great product at that price point. Now they don't.

The differences between Qualia and 5000 are that Q are handmade, have leather pads, color and cable.

Drivers and relative housing are same for Qualia, SA5000 and SA3000.

Funny thing is that the drivers used on SA1000 are more expensive than those used on other three cans.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 20
Because of their bit odd and cold tonality, they do not get much love amongst the crowd listening music with natural and acoustic instruments, (or atleast I have seen very few of them) unless perhaps they have a dedicated rig built around it to make it sound more natural. But on electronic and amplified music, where the tonality is less issue and that lets the good sides of the headphone shine, they have their own fanbase including me. This and upcoming HF2 (probaply, depending how good it is) will be my last headphones and I'll build my rig around them to make them shine.

I also did the mod to SA5000 where you are a thin slice of foam on the hard plastic inside of the cup. Eliminates the slight "echo" in the sound.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences between Qualia and 5000 are that Q are handmade, have leather pads, color and cable.

Drivers and relative housing are same for Qualia, SA5000 and SA3000.

Funny thing is that the drivers used on SA1000 are more expensive than those used on other three cans.

It's been confirmed that the Qualia driver and SA5000 driver are not the same. Unless you have info I don't know about. The SA5000 are great headphones, but became expendable since my DT48 betters their strengths with less flaws.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Don't you mean the K-701 setup?
biggrin.gif

I've owned the SA5000 for some time and have always enjoyed it. Maybe I've been conditioned to the Sony sound from years of MDR-V6 listening. I especially enjoy its transparent sound - something I've only found on the HP-2, K-1000, DT48, and HD-800 so far. Each has a way of disappearing and leaving me with nothing but music. I don't know why those seem well tuned for me, but the SA5000 does that. It is a shame more people haven't tried them, especially now that they're discontinued.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't you mean the K-701 setup?
biggrin.gif

I've owned the SA5000 for some time and have always enjoyed it. Maybe I've been conditionedto the Sony sound from years of MDR-V6 listening. I especially enoy its transparent sound - something I've only found on the HP-2, K-1000, DT48, and HD-800 so far. I don't know why those seem well tuned for me, but they are.

I only auditioned the K701 through Mike's DNA Sonett and I really didn't think it sounded plasticky although admittedly I didn't listen for very long. When I auditioned the balanced SA5000, I had it on for about 30 seconds before I decided that I couldn't stand the tonality anymore.
tongue.gif

Sometimes it's really interesting reading on head-fi as we all hear so differently from time to time.
icon10.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

I only auditioned the K701 through Mike's DNA Sonett and I really didn't think it sounded plasticky although admittedly I didn't listen for very long. When I auditioned the balanced SA5000, I had it on for about 30 seconds before I decided that I couldn't stand the tonality anymore.
tongue.gif

Sometimes it's really interesting reading on head-fi as we all hear so differently from time to time.
icon10.gif

A mod gave the worst SA5000 first impressions I ever read... I mean, it was really ugly. Search for SA5000 threads.. More then 4 pages long. Sounded like a rant. Personally, I think the SA5000 are right up there or better then the 701/DT880/DT990 etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back