Why much more 'love' for the Arcam FMJ CD23 over the Diva CD92?
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

m8o

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a good condition FMJ DV139 a few years ago. It is indeed filled with goodness. And I've continued to watch eBay sales of Arcam source players since. 

I've come to see a big divide I can't readily explain. Equating number of bidders with interest, the FMJ CD23 seems to garner a lot of bidders and interest. And a Diva CD92, having what I think to be the superior PMD200 HDCD filter usually far fewer bidders or interest.

The latest comparison. A CD23 just sold for about $100 more with 41 bids; remote, orig box but no manual. The CD92 just sold [to me] with just one other bidder with one bid; with remote manual but no orig box. Both are in excellent condition. While I'm happy not to have to fight and pay more for the item to win it. I just can't explain the large discrepancy in interest between the two. 

I know the difference in the MSRP of the two was $200 or $300. By most reports there's little to discern between the sound of both units. What do you think is the reason for the bigger interest in the CD23? 

I thought the CD23 had the PMD200 chip, but I found it to have the PMD100 chip; and I have had players with those and wanted to hear a player with the PMD200. So that's why I was eager to get it.

Thoughts and opinions?

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 2
Interesting OP!  I can only assume it is because people are prioritizing the Full Metal Jacket enclosure over the internal components.  

I still love the sound of my humble dv78, but the laser is starting to go.  Trying to decide whether I have the time and inclination to attempt the repair myself or whether I should be shopping for a new (used) arcam player for my living room system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back