Why is the Ayre Codex not popular on Head-Fi?
Jan 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus
I was curious why the Ayre Codex headphone amp / DAC is mentioned much? I know there isa rather short thread but I never see it come up when people are deciding on amps and DAC's.
Ken

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm interested in it too. It might be about price and functionality. For people who are willing to pay the price, they may want separate DAC and amp units. As to functionality, it would help with more headphone use friendly features, like 4-pin XLR output, low-gain/high-gain switch, and so on.

I wish I would have an opportunity to have a listen to it. And I would like to see more options for an headphone amp between $500-1200.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 7
I was quite interested in it as a DAC/Pre, but then found out it doesn't support USB HID volume control...

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I was thinking the reason why the Ayre Codex was not so popular is because it was hard to find until now. But I think the Codex is widely available now. I purchased a Codex a few weeks ago and I think it sounds really great. It seems to get better sounding the longer it breaks in. Currently I have about 150 hours on it. My current system is MAC -> Roon -> Ayre Codex -> Audeze LCD-X. I am running the system in balanced mode. The biggest difference that I have noticed as the Codex breaks in is bass is much tighter and accurate sounding. At first, bass was a bit boomy. The mids and highs are sounding much better too as the Codex breaks in. Overall, the codex delivers an accurate and natural sound. But I am not a reviewer or anything like that. I am listening to the same songs over and over as the Codex breaks in and this has helped form my opinion. Overall, I am very happy with the Ayre Codex. BTW, Roon is a super killer app!

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Here's a good thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/750809/ayre-acoustics-codex-dac-headphone-amp

A fair amount of people seem to be pretty put off about the up to 600 hours of break in time recommended.  There's also been some connectivity issues I think.  Check out that thread though.  I've been following it because I'm pretty interest in this unit, that or the Yggdra-thing.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 7

Coolmilo,

I saw your post and wanted to say I bought the Ayre Codex because I liked the Pono. I'm listenig to LCD-3s in balanced mode using the stock balanced Audeze cord and a Surf Cables 4-pin adaptor. I use a Mac with Audioquest Diamond USB connector also. Yet I feel I'm only scratching the surface of what the headphones can do as far as well-defined dimensionalty and texture. I generally leave the Codex on all the time. Even if the power cord is the only wire going to it, it runs pretty darn warm.

I'm going to the Los Angeles Can Jam to see what the LCD-3s can be made to sound like given the very best input. I don't know any other  way to substantially improve the sound right now. I use an Audioquest NGR-1000 power cord, so the only improvement to that would be the Audioquest WEL power cord. I could get a balanced Cardas Clear/Audeze cord, but before I spend the $600-700, I want to go to the Jam and see what I learn.

If you have any suggestions or observations you think might be helpful, I welcome them

LAcruisin

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 7
The Ayre Codex sounds significantly better in balanced mode, so if you get a hold of a balanced cable with pono adaptors, you will be in for a treat.  Give the Codex a good source, good USB cable and good power and it will sound fantastic.  Honestly, in balanced mode, I haven't heard anything come close under $5k range.  Single-ended is a different story.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back