Why is [insert celebrity here] trying to sell me headphones? And the nature of consumerism and celebrities...
Jan 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jgray91

Headphoneus Supremus

"[T]he consumer," he says, meaning me (and you), "is filled with religious fervor for the sovereign liberty of the commodities. Waves of enthusiasm for a given product, supported and spread by all the media of communication, are thus propagated with lightning speed. A style of dress emerges from a film; a magazine promotes night spots which launch various clothing fads. Just when the mass of commodities slides toward puerility, the puerile itself becomes a special commodity; this is epitomized by the gadget."

I found a great article on The Verge, talking about consumerism and how celebrities affect the sales of a product. I think. Well that particular quote I taken is quite interesting IMO because that's how I pretty much see in this hobby.

Do take a read, and it's not a short read too; I myself still haven't finished digesting it (as of time of writing). Just thought to share something interesting.

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 3
why is he talking in riddles?

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 3
The number one goal of advertising is name and product recognition.  So, how better to get your product recognized than having someone everyone knows talk about it?  There's not really much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back