why is choosing headphones so damn hard ****
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoobAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BB?

Best Buy probably. Most prominent electronics retail chain in the United States, probably the biggest now that Circuit City is gone.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #49 of 67
It's not just with choosing headphones. When it comes to any product category that consists of too many items to choose from, you encounter what is called the paradox of choice.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best Buy probably. Most prominent electronics retail chain in the United States, probably the biggest now that Circuit City is gone.

I was in one the other day while visiting in Miami and I must say that it, except for a few exceptions, it does a great job of skimming the surface with any category of equipment or electronics. It will stock only the basics since that's what the average consumer will be looking for or be interested in.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoobAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your replies and opinions, in my area we don't have any 'meets' i live in the UK so i don't think i will be able to try that.

My previous headphones were IEM's, these included Sennheiser IE8, Ultimate ears triple fi 10 they were fitment issues so i though full size headphones would give me a better fit.

I have taken the plunge to buying the Ultrasone 2500 hows that for difference lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Being different is one thing; getting advice before you jump is also another. It's also pointless trying to pick a phone for a given style of music, when you're not familiar with phones and don't know how any of them will sound.

And Freq range specs are completely meaningless. So the widest possible range means nothing in terms of SQ. Some phones advertise FR limits that aren't even audible to the human ear.

Given the cost of those, you're going to need something better than a laptop or PC onboard sound to get the best from them; spending more on headphones means they're less likely to be plug n play, the better they are the less they can do it all by themselves and will need quality back up gear to reach their potential. They may even need amping, as while the ohms are low enough to suggest they don't, I can't find the sensitivity specs.

Which is why so many were suggesting Grados or other phones that are known to be easy to drive, and less demanding on lesser quality sources like PCs.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not just with choosing headphones. When it comes to any product category that consists of too many items to choose from, you encounter what is called the paradox of choice.

A great talk and a great book.

Strangely enough, with headphones I find that I'm extremely happy with all of the headphones I've bought but I still want more. I don't know what Schwartz would say about that. Maybe I'm a maxisatisficer... or something...

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great talk and a great book.

Strangely enough, with headphones I find that I'm extremely happy with all of the headphones I've bought but I still want more. I don't know what Schwartz would say about that. Maybe I'm a maxisatisficer... or something...

Ooooooooooh! Time for you to register a trademark for that term!
biggrin.gif

And yes, it is indeed a great talk. Haven't read the book, though.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #54 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being different is one thing; getting advice before you jump is also another. It's also pointless trying to pick a phone for a given style of music, when you're not familiar with phones and don't know how any of them will sound.

And Freq range specs are completely meaningless. So the widest possible range means nothing in terms of SQ. Some phones advertise FR limits that aren't even audible to the human ear.

Given the cost of those, you're going to need something better than a laptop or PC onboard sound to get the best from them; spending more on headphones means they're less likely to be plug n play, the better they are the less they can do it all by themselves and will need quality back up gear to reach their potential. They may even need amping, as while the ohms are low enough to suggest they don't, I can't find the sensitivity specs.

Which is why so many were suggesting Grados or other phones that are known to be easy to drive, and less demanding on lesser quality sources like PCs.

Suggest me an amp?

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nice video, thanks for sharing
wink_face.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #56 of 67
Headphone amplifier for what purpose and for what headphone/earphone, impedance, brand characteristics, sound signature of the headphone amplifier etcetera...

Sometimes a gamble pays off, sometimes really dig deep for that gem of a piece of audio gear. I gambled three times and I was quite satisfied. The next headphone amplifier won't be a gamble.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone amplifier for what purpose and for what headphone/earphone, impedance, brand characteristics, sound signature of the headphone amplifier etcetera...

Sometimes a gamble pays off, sometimes really dig deep for that gem of a piece of audio gear. I gambled three times and I was quite satisfied. The next headphone amplifier won't be a gamble.

Ultrasone 2500 and the purpose well people say i need one to get the most out of it, any type portable not portable. I wouldn't say the 2500pro are portable lol. I don't want to spend anymore than £50

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #58 of 67
imo it must be worse if you want the best & have the money for it already. 'cos first you gotta do your own homework, THEN consider everyones opinion on why they're best. 'cos everyones got an idea on which is best
biggrin.gif

if you're a n00b then aim for say, middle, as that's a good place to upgrade from & guage what you like - you just roll the dice & be happy in the improvement you got & improvements to come.

i'm glad i'm not rich, i can't be doing with 20 pairs of headphones, just like some people collect cats!

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #59 of 67
I worked at best buy and have seen their purchasing charts. You'd never believe the % they make on their items. If something is sold in the store for 100$, they bought it for about 8-12$

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #60 of 67
NoobAudio, I advise you to find a good reliable headphone amplifier for the Ultrasone and if your budget is limited go for a big CD-player, an older high end model which can be found quite cheap with certain brands and delivers really good sound. A Fiio E5 can work too though, if I'm correct.

Save up for a good headphone amplifier because your Ultrasone deserves it. In the coming time I'll try to get a Graham Slee Voyager or Lake People G100 for the long term, it might take six months or longer but then I'll have some proper gear for the ages
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back