Why I love being a noob
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
 The only thing keeping myself tied to this site is the community. The people here are the nicest people I've known on the internet. I can't even tell you how much help I've received here from other users.

Head-Fi's community is truly one of a kind, except maybe Gizmodo. I felt so welcome when I first joined. No pretentiousness or anything.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Quote:
 The only thing keeping myself tied to this site is the community. The people here are the nicest people I've known on the internet. I can't even tell you how much help I've received here from other users.

Head-Fi's community is truly one of a kind, except maybe Gizmodo. I felt so welcome when I first joined. No pretentiousness or anything.

I agree with you both. One thing that struck me about this place is how much closer in age many of the people around here are to me than at, say, AudioKarma, where I've posted quite a bit. It's a great forum, no doubt, but the folks there were often my age or younger when names like Marantz and Sansui were the shiznit (Marantz is still a high end brand but has slipped from the common brand pool). Headphones were considered teh suxx0rs back then (with exceptions, of course--the Sextetts were around by the mid 70s), and many AK'ers still don't bother with them. I've never quite felt like I belonged at AK--those folks are far more experienced and far older than me, and I kind of feel like the towel boy listening in while the coaches have very interesting conversations.

Head-Fi, on the other hand, is quite different. It never occurred to me at first that headphones have made a quantum leap only in the past 20 year or so, so I've actually joined the trend on the updraft, not long after the fact. Headphones are the equivalent of hi-fi stereo in the 70s, at least by my reckoning. Twenty years from now I'll be a member of a headphone forum (maybe even this one! Long live Head-Fi!) and the young whippersnappers will wander in and read in awe of the "old days" when things like the HD800, LCD-2, O2, T1, etc. were at the top of the heap. They'll make posts about their dad's old headphones, asking what they are and if they're worth anything. And I'll have lived to witness these (and headphones yet to come) when they debuted, not as ancient history.

A weird tangent, I know, but I wonder how many people have looked at it this way.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
Twenty years from now I'll be a member of a headphone forum (maybe even this one! Long live Head-Fi!) and the young whippersnappers will wander in and read in awe of the "old days" when things like the HD800, LCD-2, O2, T1, etc. were at the top of the heap. They'll make posts about their dad's old headphones, asking what they are and if they're worth anything. And I'll have lived to witness these (and headphones yet to come) when they debuted, not as ancient history.

A weird tangent, I know, but I wonder how many people have looked at it this way.

Dude. I can't think 2 years into the future, and here you are twenty years away. I can't wait until today's high end headphones become tomorrow's $200 headphones.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #34 of 38
When I first came here I was looking for a $50 headphone with bass... little did I know what I actually wanted was to spend over $2,000 on an entire audiophile system. 
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #35 of 38
woah saskatoon!
I lived in saskatchewan for three years going to boarding school there.
Do you know of a place called caronport?

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #36 of 38

Quote:
woah saskatoon!
I lived in saskatchewan for three years going to boarding school there.
Do you know of a place called caronport?

I do know Caronport (Briarcrest Bible College). I got in some trouble in high-school and nearly got sent there.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #37 of 38
hahaha yea there were ton of kids who came to caronport because they were troubled teens.
I was there to play hockey so I've been to saskatoon several times to play provincial games.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #38 of 38

yea, at some point you just bite the bullet.
Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't referring to that 1000 post spam thread Bob. I was insinuating the daily influx of the same buying advice threads that ask the same damn questions.

I think what I find more annoying than the threads themselves, are the crap responses and the blatant disregard of what the OP was looking for. Like people looking for huge bass, and people come in with responses for headphones with notoriously weak bass. 

Quote:
I remember when I was a noob too. I remember spending all my time here for like 9 weeks reading up on all the different DIY amps, trying to convince myself to spend money on an object I couldn't hear beforehand. I'd read through many threads trying to decide what I wanted. I'm not sure I made the right decision, so I'm still digging around the forums. I really love the DIY forums here.

But now that I am relatively well versed in the DIY community, I find myself spending less and less time here. The only thing keeping myself tied to this site is the community. The people here are the nicest people I've known on the internet. I can't even tell you how much help I've received here from other users.

But I guess the "newness" of this site has worn off, as I've read through most of the threads here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back