Why Grado is for rock?
Mar 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 62
It depends, some Rock or Metal sub-genres can sound better in some way through other brands. I like Grados for recordings where the percussion really, really matters, to the point that it's the same depth as the guitar. Then if its a highly-layered/textured albums like EPICA's "The Phantom Agony" it's best through K701s (although that doesn't stop me from enjoying that on SR225/325. If it's Joe Satriani I liked the guitars best on HD555/595/580/600.

But generally, the best compromise for generally all Rock and Metal is Grado, specially 225. It could have been the 325 but some bad recordings really sound bad with that; the 225's smoother top end is, to my ears, enough to close the gap on the Senns playing Satriani.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock doesn't really need soundstage depth, which Grado just plain doesn't do at the low end of their lineup. Also, a lot of classic rock is kind of "muddy" sounding in the mix, and thus grados with their upper mids presence boost kind of counteract that. Finally they're very "quick" in that they can produce a lot of hard transients very fast without running into trouble, which is obviously important for rock.

That being said, I actually prefer Sennheiser for rock. And everything else for that matter.

Depends on what kind of rock you're talking about when you say it doesn't need soundstage depth! A lot of modern rock lacks fundamental composition as that and I find even more strange that you note classic rock "is kind of 'muddy' sounding in the mix"... I think you're lopping too many sub-genres into one!

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by prozach1576 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a serious rock fan, you will understand the Grado reputation the first time you listen to the Rolling Stones or The Clash with them. Best headphones ever for guitars.

Amen.
biggrin.gif

I would also add Zeppelin, Sabbath, Rush, Metallica, The Who!

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what kind of rock you're talking about when you say it doesn't need soundstage depth! A lot of modern rock lacks fundamental composition as that and I find even more strange that you note classic rock "is kind of 'muddy' sounding in the mix"... I think you're lopping too many sub-genres into one!

well, the thread is asking about rock in general.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 62
Don't worry - you'll enjoy the Stax, even for rock. I've been listening to a ton of rock on my 404s and loving every moment. Whether it's The Clash, Talking Heads (listening to Stop Making Sense as I write this and I've never heard the album sound so good), Pixies, Loretta Lynn and Jack White, or Sleater Kinney, the 404s are keeping up quite nicely. And when I heard the 202s in comparison to the 404s, I thought the 202s had even more punch, especially with the 252 amp.

The base isn't as strong compared to my speakers, but it's a lot more controlled and balanced.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen.
biggrin.gif

eh, some of those bands are as much about the bassist to me as they are the guitarist. Especially Zepp. I'd almost rather listen to JPJ than Jimmy.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen.
biggrin.gif

Can I get a Pink Floyd, Nirvana, and Sex Pistols?
smily_headphones1.gif
Old Chicago also sounds great with Grados. The first two albums more specifically.

I just had the SR-80i again and remembered just how much of a bargin they are. It's worth having a Grado even if your Stax end up being better than you hope.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I get a Pink Floyd, Nirvana, and Sex Pistols?
smily_headphones1.gif
Old Chicago also sounds great with Grados.

Absolutely!
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #26 of 62
Well well decision decision...

I figured out the best option:

- Order a RS225i from headphone.com now. It should be arrived at the same time with the STAX.

- Let's the battle begin. If RS225i really can bring out something that STAX seriously can't, she's the keeper, along side w/ SR-202.

- If the SR-202 is more than enough, well it's time for 30 days return policy of headphone.com

It's not a fair battle for Grado tho since STAX has the first priority
biggrin.gif

Edit: Wow, quite some bands you guys listed are my all time favourite or have the same music genre/style. I used to play guitar in a rock band (very noob tho) and I really love rock. I listen to various kind of music but only rock, especially old classic rock and Blues are able to make me feel like me sitting on top of a tree
biggrin.gif
Hopefully Lynyrd Skynyrd will rock out on Grado.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock doesn't really need soundstage depth, which Grado just plain doesn't do at the low end of their lineup. Also, a lot of classic rock is kind of "muddy" sounding in the mix, and thus grados with their upper mids presence boost kind of counteract that. Finally they're very "quick" in that they can produce a lot of hard transients very fast without running into trouble, which is obviously important for rock.

That being said, I actually prefer Sennheiser for rock. And everything else for that matter.

This.

Although personally, I find rock much more enjoyable with my DT 880s than my old SR-80s. The SR-80's have practically no soundstage at all, but they have very nice bass and that midrange bump. My DT 880's, OTOH, have less bass (the only thing I don't like about them, but the SR-80's could simply be coloring the sound while the DT-880's are more neutral), but about 13,345,333x better soundstage and instrumental separation. Recordings that sounded like a mess on my Grado's are much less so on the Beyers.

Of course, I'm comparing $300 headphones to $80 headphones. But, personally, I'm never buying another Grado. I really don't think they offer much past the sub-$150 models that makes them real competitors unless you really, really want that sound. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think if you want to spend less than $150, Grado's are very easy to recommend. Under $100, it's practically a no brainer.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread made me put my Grado on.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL...AC/DC Black Ice and RS1i's right now.
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #30 of 62
13,345,333x better?

Where did you get that number
biggrin.gif

Beside wanting a "rock" headphone, I also want it to be a nice complement of my STAX. And AFAIK, DT880 is not a good choice for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back