Oct 5, 2005 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

plyr

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder if anyone can give me a logic explanation about this,
witch one is best on foobar?

16bits?
24bits?
or even 24bits padded to 32bits?

My card is an audigy2zs, and i realize that the sound is more vivid on 16bits, but lacks the detail of 24bits padded to 32bits, i dont know if this is a placebo or not, can anyone give some thoughts?

Oct 5, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by plyr

16bits?
24bits?

My card is an audigy2zs, and i realize that the sound is more vivid on 16bits, but lacks the detail of 24bits padded to 32bits, i dont know if this is a placebo or not, can anyone give some thoughts?

I followed the following guide when I was setting up Foobar/Winamp for my Audigy 2. (The webpage is no longer a valid link, but Google's cache worked fine so I toke a screenshot of it)
http://www.photodump.com/viewer/parrot5/audiosetup.html

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by plyr

16bits?
24bits?

The best is 24bits padded to 32bits since your card supports 24bit playback and your cpu is a 32bit processor. However, this sometimes isn't supported by certain playback outputs, i.e. i don't think it works with Kernel Streaming (but 24bit does and thats your second best choice). I use 24 padded to 32 and use ASIO output.

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5
I followed the following guide when I was setting up Foobar/Winamp for my Audigy 2. (The webpage is no longer a valid link, but Google's cache worked fine so I toke a screenshot of it)
http://www.photodump.com/viewer/parrot5/audiosetup.html

Thanks, that looong image helped...
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishtankfish
The best is 24bits padded to 32bits since your card supports 24bit playback and your cpu is a 32bit processor. However, this sometimes isn't supported by certain playback outputs, i.e. i don't think it works with Kernel Streaming (but 24bit does and thats your second best choice). I use 24 padded to 32 and use ASIO output.

It works with kernel streaming too, but is not clear to me why should i use padded to 32bits since my card does only 24...

Oct 6, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 6
You do it to allow more headroom in using things like your volume control without losing fidelity, since you're working at a higher level of precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back