Why extraterrestrial life likely exists, but I still kinda doubt about God
Feb 13, 2003 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 171

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, that's an inflamatory thread title, but I used to work in advertising....

My grandfather was Chang Kai Shek's surgeon, my father did medical research as a Phd/MD, so I'm kind of from a science family. Hence, I look to empirical, quantifiable, tangible evidence for proof of existence. God, by all accounts, fails that test.

But extraterrestrial life, by God?

(I may not believe, but I do still incur the name with respect for those who do. I mean no disrespect.)

I spent a long time as a writer researching the paranormal, psychic phenomenon, the afterlife and all that highly NON-scientific stuff. I mean, it's the material for great movies, afterall
wink.gif
But I never was convinced by any of the reams of accounts or so-called evidence I scoured through.

But it struck me the other day that I had seen a great deal of tangile evidence concerning one highly speculative subject -- that of UFOs. Yes, although I'd also seen even more discounted/faked photos and dodgy reports, I'd certainly seen a vast number of unexplained and remarkable photographs, videos and reports from credible sources. Hence, from a strictly scientific and pragmatic viewpoint, the ONE unworldly phenomenon which I now believe I have seen proof of is that of extraterrestrial life.

I have no idea why I posted this thread (since flame/trolling wars weary me), except that I finally realised I have been seeing hard evidence of one "unworldly" phenomenon for some time and never took it seriously. And it was a bit of a shock to me since I am the ultimate cynic about these things.

Odd...

Feb 13, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I have no idea why I posted this thread (since flame/trolling wars weary me),

Mr. bang...

I have no idea why you posted this thread, either. I don't foresee anything positive materializing from this, however, we can watch for a while. Besides, there are a myriad of other forums in which to post a thread like this. Something tells me this thing won't last very long!

Hmmm,

We'll see...

wink.gif

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Hence, from a strictly scientific and pragmatic viewpoint, the ONE unworldly phenomenon which I now believe I have seen proof of is that of extraterrestrial life.

What, in particular, are you talking about?

I'm a firm believer in extraterrestrial life. I don't think they're friendly, either. "Signs" basically paralyzed me... God, I've never been that scared...

I'll admit my belief in aliens isn't exactly the most rational thing around, though...

- Chris

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by minya

I'm a firm believer in extraterrestrial life. I don't think they're friendly, either. "Signs" basically paralyzed me... God, I've never been that scared...

I'll admit my belief in aliens isn't exactly the most rational thing around, though...

- Chris

Strange that you mention that movie since Signs was really a movie about a man who regains his faith in God.

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 171
Chadbang,

What evidence(s) for God's existence/non-existence did you look at?? Ontological, cosmological, teleological, argument from moral law, argument from religious need, argument from joy, etc.? I am curious myself as to how you arrived at this conclusion "empirically" since as far back as Plato they have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there has to be a God.

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Strange that you mention that movie since Signs was really a movie about a man who regains his faith in God.

To me, it was really about aliens. Worst nightmare come true and all that. But yeah, the God-thing was definitely in there...

- Chris

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 171
BAH .. Signs was a HORRIBLE movie.. Didnt scare me one bit... Made me laugh though!

God is real my friend. No doubt in my mind.

Heres a little personal story of some hard to explain coincidence's:

About 4 years ago my dad had been suffering from ulzers (sp?) for a long time (years). Docters told him it was from stress and he was on some kind of medication for it. He was visiting family in the same state that Benny Hinn ( a preacher/healer guy) resides and has church. During this trip his ulzer had been the worst it had ever been. He actually was going to go to the emergency room to double check that everything was ok. He instead decided to go to church first with Benny Hinn. As soon as he walked in the door, woosh ... The horrible feeling in his stomach left him immediately. A lot of times Benny Hinn will walk out to the croud and touch people, knocking them unconsious. He chooses people based on his subconsious logic that they are the ones needing help. He happened to walk out to my dad and touched him ... What happened to my dad in his words is "The best high anything on this earth can give you" ... He woke up after being touched in the hands of an usher and at that point he felt different than he had ever felt before. His ulzer pain was 100% gone at this point. Binny Hinn stated he was healed... My dad went home later that day and happen to look in his pill bottle (the pills perscribed for him for the ulzer) the whole inside of the bottle was covered in green fungus... As if god was confirming the pills were indeed useless at this point.

If just anyone told me this story i probably wouldnt beileve it. This was one of the first experiences that locked my beilief in God.

The second one was when my soul was completely filled with the holy ghost (such as my dads was in benny hinn's church). As soon as the pastor laid his hands on me my knees went weak and i started smiling. After 2 - 3 seconds i couldnt stop laughing. It was a feeling as if i had heard the funniest joke in the world and jsut couldnt stop laughing... I was filled with some kind of unknown extriodinary excitement. There is no way i could state that it could have possibly been "not real" .. Cause there is just no way.

It has been outlined to me that there is indeed surely a God out there. But i have always beleieved such. I truly doubt anyone who has no faith in beileving will have these kind of experiences... I have seen it.. I have seen people who have no faith fail horribly at attempts to seek such experiences... again and again. Thats why people who dont beileve cant continue to grasp that concept. Its a shame, i feel sorry for such people.

Thats just my take on that issue.. You may think its all ******** but I dont.. Please dont take it as such.

I strongly beileve ive found all the proof i need. Although really I need none. No offense, but i beileve my own logic is strong enough to tell me i need no proof. He's there, i dont have to see him to know that. Those of you with disbelief may never find your proof. For it is your disbelief that hinders you from doing so.

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 171
I disagree. I think it was mainly about that there aren't any coincidences and the priest guy regaining his faith. The alien thing was just the premise of the movie, not the purpose.

I mean, let's say you're an alien with enough technology/intelligence to travel to another planet. Coming into contact with water kills your species, and you decide to land on a planet that's 70% water?! Did I miss something there? And why exactly do the aliens walk around getting trapped in pantries with no visible technology/weapons to speak of? It doesn't add up IMO...

Having said that, It definitely isn't the best sci-fi movie out there. The whole alien part of it wasn't particularly believable, but since I don't think that was the movie's main focus I still give it some credit.

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 171
"the camera man zooming up on some guy's ass for two hours"
laughabove.gif

Ahahahaha!!! That's the funniest thing I've read in weeks...hee hee...

Feb 13, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 171
Hmmm... I was never really brought up to believe in God. I don't actually, not specifically anyway.

I believe in a higher being who created our world, but I don't know if I believe in the Christian model of God.

Feb 13, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by minya

- Chris

then you need to go rent "communion" and "fire in the sky". those'll scare you more than your taste in art scares me.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
then you need to go rent "communion" and "fire in the sky". those'll scare you more than your taste in art scares me.
wink.gif

Fire in the Sky scared the living **** out of me. Communion (the film) not so, but the books traumatized me as a child. I read them when I was about ten. I couldn't sleep for weeks. I can't still look at the cover of Communion.

- Chris

Feb 14, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 171
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
Thats just my take on that issue.. You may think its all ******** but I dont.. Please dont take it as such.

I don't think it's ********, but i think a lot of ailments are man-made (stomach ailments caused by stress, headaches caused by stress, etc etc), meaning that i think stress is all mental and when you seek something to comfort you, like religion, it will free you of that stress because that person views religion as his/her salvation (or headphones!). Again, it's all mental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back