why does the sansa clip sound so warm?
Feb 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen a lot of measurements for the Sansa clip (not sure if I'm allowed to say where) and it seems to measure very well. So why does it impart such a warm sound signature? Shouldn't it be more neutral? Is it possible that this warmth is actually the result of a low quality dac that is too "fuzzy "?

Because it seems to me that the Sansa clip is very warm and has no detail but has a powerful amp. I have come to really hate the sound signature of this player. I prefer listening to my iPod despite the higher output impedance.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Original Clip? Never heard it, but Clip+ vs iPod Nano 4G, the former is better. In direct comparison the Clip+ had better extension, airier mids and revealed detail that was masked by the Nano. Clip+ can also handle fast electronica music better, where the Nano appeared to struggle. Of course ignorance is bliss they say. Nano 4G is a very competent device and definitely better all-rounder than the Clip+, but in terms of audio the Clip+ has superior output which I only found when a/b'ing against the Clip+

If you do a forum search a past thread determines that Rockbox is true flat, whereas stock firmware on Clip+ is bumped up a few notches across the spectrum, so that probably influences the "warm sound". But then again it is meant to be a cheap no-frills player, which happens to do some extras like fm. For straight headphone out use, leaning on warm is perfectly understandable

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, I've installed rockbox (VERY impressed, to say the least) but I can't shake that "fuzzy" sound signature.  

And to clarify, I am referring to the Clip+.  

Anyway, that's my whole problem.  Measurements aside, I just don't think it sounds as, I don't know, "clean?" as my ipod touch 3rd gen, which is a much better player than the nano 4g, based off of subjective listening experiences.  

If i had to guess I would says it's the dac, but I'm really no expert.

As a side note, my Nexus S 4g rooted and kernaled with Voodoo Control sounds better than both of the above players, though the headphone out does have a high output impedance

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 5
yes, it was nwavguys measurements I was referring too.  I'm baffled.  But rockbox is really cool, I would like to get an iPod classic with its huge harddrive and rockbox that.  Going through a portable amp that would be excellent. . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back