Why do some people not list their location?
Mar 14, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Uh, and "Location: Right next to T-REX" is exactly where?
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

And "cage" is where?

Maybe a hemisphere location would be close enough
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #17 of 39
some people value their privacy, regarding the burglary thing, I would hope many members have homeowners or renters insurance covered for replacement costs.
I never knew if you're in a picture in a meet, it's up to you if you want to be identified, meaning you have more say than the person taking the picture. I like that bout this place.
It's sounds more respectful than if the poster asked your permission to post and identify.
Me? I wish someone would take my identity and my problems.

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Let's start a thread on how fast the Internet access is in our prison/jail/penitentiary.

We could ask Martha...

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Well, we don't want to encourage burglars ....

Actually, I've been discussing this issue with a forum member who has an impressive array of toys and lives in a singularly unique location (...some of you probably know who I'm talking about, but please don't post your guesses here. Thanks...). Divulging this member's exact location could be an invitation for an "unexpected visitation", assuming that there are Head-Fiers who have the will and the means (and the absolute gall) to burglarize another Head-Fi member.

Therefore, in some cases, keeping one's location vague (or unknown) is just good sense.

D.

Mar 14, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 39
People posting their location as BAY AREA kinda pisses me off.

Which bay? Baffin Bay? Bridlington Bay? Herne Bay? Somebody Bet On the Bay?

I know it's in California as i've been on the net a few years now but it still pisses me off to see it.

Also just using the state prefix is a waste of time. Why post ...,MA or ...,FL Not everybody that uses this board is in America.

It's almost the same as me posting that my location is HU13AU. It makes no sense at all.

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 39
LOL, Trawlerman!

No worries, my sister complains the same way. Her main story is about another girl she was with while visiting Germany. "Hi, my name's Jennifer. I'm from the Bay Area." I wonder if this will continue after colonizing other planets.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 39
Go onto google, and type in "Bay Area." Guess what -- everything on the page is about the San Francisco bay area.

I'm surprised you don't get upset about people using "America" to refer to the US, when, after all, it is the name of two continents. But when it is used to refer to a country, people can generally figure out which country one means.

Mar 15, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
heh privacy.

Hi neighbor!
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Go onto google, and type in "Bay Area." Guess what -- everything on the page is about the San Francisco bay area.

I'm surprised you don't get upset about people using "America" to refer to the US, when, after all, it is the name of two continents. But when it is used to refer to a country, people can generally figure out which country one means.

Have you stopped time travelling?

No more 5 minute buffer in your life?
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #27 of 39
Privacy and safety concerns are valid, but if someone's going to post a "what's a good place to buy xxx?" thread, you'd think that they could at least mention what state or country they live in.
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Have you stopped time travelling?

No more 5 minute buffer in your life?
biggrin.gif

With the aid of this board, I am now living 5 minutes and 15 seconds in the future. Onward!

Mar 16, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
People posting their location as BAY AREA kinda pisses me off.

Which bay? Baffin Bay? Bridlington Bay? Herne Bay? Somebody Bet On the Bay?

I know it's in California as i've been on the net a few years now but it still pisses me off to see it.

Also just using the state prefix is a waste of time. Why post ...,MA or ...,FL Not everybody that uses this board is in America.

It's almost the same as me posting that my location is HU13AU. It makes no sense at all.

And you think we know where Yorkshire is?
600smile.gif

Some state codes are a waste of time. But who would read "NY" and not be able to guess which state? In my location there is a "NJ". Did anyone seriously not know I meant New Jersey?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back