Why do people like Dark side of the Moon so much on headphones?
May 8, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #31 of 127
The music is exceptional, the recording is just good. Not superb. Few recordings are truely superb, and the ones that are, the music tends not to be in the DSOTM aceness area.

Good music comes before insane quality, id rather listen to a cassette of DSOTM than a DVD-Audio disc of David Hasselhoffs greatest hits.

May 8, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #32 of 127
Well, the other question about the recording being "good" is how you measure that. I think the recording is fantastic because it perfectly captures the mood and sound the band is trying to create, and the ever so slightly fuzzy sound gives it a dreamy quality.

It's a bit like saying the production on Daydream Nation is bad... well, technically yes, but for the music it's perfect and crisp production would only serve to hinder it. DSOTM's production is serving the music, not your audio equipment, so although I wouldn't call it a good reference album I think it's a bit short-sighted to say the production is just "okay."

May 8, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #34 of 127
This album sounds totally amazing on Sony SA5000.
I don't like SA5000 at all, but DSOTM blows me away with SA5000.

May 8, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #35 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
The most amazing thing about the album to me is that it was recorded before anyone but NASA had a computer. There was some phenomenal creativity that went into creating that album.

Have you seen the "Dark Side of the Moon" DVD? Essentially, a "how they did it" video with interviews with the band members, Alan Parsons, et al. Talk about creativity! Just the part on the home made endless loop recording for the intro to "Money" is fascinating. Gives some insight into the (odd for Rock) 7/8 time signature and a confession from Gilmore on his relief that the break goes into 4/4. When I first got the DVD, I watched it twice in one sitting.

May 8, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #36 of 127
People like DSOTM so much on headphones because it's a damn good album, that's why.

May 8, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #37 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
In my home town, a large area that has since grown much larger, the one "real" rock AM station went off the air at sundown!

not to go off-topic, but that could be because of their licence, AM propegates differently at different times of day and they might have been to close to another AM station who was licenced before them

anyhow, i love DSOTM, especially via my K1k's... its what music should be, just enjoyable...

May 8, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #38 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
I have two friends that approved me Dark side of the Moon if i want to be impress with headphones...Can somebody explain to me whats so good about this album? is it the beats?

Nah, listen to what you enjoy and nothing else.
wink.gif

Artistically and even sonically, I was left totally uninspired by that album, to the point that I gave it away. There's much, much better music around.

May 8, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #39 of 127
Yeow! I have never heard it, didn't even hear "of" it til here just reciently on a speaker forum. I may have heard parts of it in the past but didn't know where it came from.

Interestingly, since I've bought my MS-1s I've gone totally to the rock side and have pretty well given my pre 1899 stuff over to the speaker CD rack and rock only to my headphone CD rack.

.....not everything, some classical sounds fab on my cans!

But now I'm curious,....gotta get DSOTM and find out what I've missed. and "missed" IS the correct word!

I'm just a kid,.......of sixty-one and a half!

May 8, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Dark Side of the Moon is an album. It's not about one song or the other. Find a quiet 45 minutes, sit down, put your headphones on, close your eyes and listen to it start to finish. If you get it, you get it. If not, there is absolutely nothing that anyone can say about it that will make you understand.

...down in the basement of my parents house listening to it in my brand new stereo system. The media back then was vinyl and most of us were under the influence
eggosmile.gif
. The album sounds so amazing then and fast forward 33 years later and listening to the mp3 without the influence of drugs or alcohol and the album still sounded amazing. It has to be the moment and what a moment it was. Now, if you are the same age as my oldest son (19 years old)- you just wouldn't understand. I guess it was like Woodstock where my parents generation were in. I just wouldn't understand!
icon10.gif

May 8, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
How can anyone explain why you like a piece of music. I know I can't.

Neither can I. But it looks like the people at Pandora have a pretty good handle on it.

I just read about this in the latest PCMag. In short, you submit a song you like, and they play others that they think you should like according to 40 or so characteristics of the song that match.

Sorta like computer dating for music.
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #43 of 127
OP: How old are you?

May 8, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 127
DSOTM is one of the best albums ever, but NOT BECAUSE OF THE SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!!! The special effects are only short intros to certain songs (chimes on Time, cash registers on Money...) Sit in a dark room, listen to Dark Side of the Moon on a good pair of headphones, and most importantly PUT DOWN THE LYRICS BOOK! Just close your eyes and think about the music. You'll see why everyone loves it.... hopefully....

May 8, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #45 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Nah, listen to what you enjoy and nothing else.
wink.gif

Artistically and even sonically, I was left totally uninspired by that album, to the point that I gave it away. There's much, much better music around.

that's a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back