why do people highly rate the shure srh840?
Apr 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
OK here is the deal. i bought these because they were on sale for $129.99 and the reviews on the web page were ridiculously good. so i get home and put them on. for the first 10 hours i thought they were amazing but that slowly died. the more i listened to them the more i hated them. harsh vocals, sibilant, muddy, you name the problem and there is a high chance these have it. so i look on here at all the threads on the srh840 and everyone is praising them but they sound like trash. i let other people listen to them and they all said they were good but made screechy noises, and I've had some people with ibuds straight out say they suck. i just don't understand how these are as highly rated as they are. the reviewers were saying things like "i will never need another pair of headphones again". but the difference between these and other headphones i have tried is that no matter what volume these are at they just sound bad. i don't want to come off as a hater but i would love to like these i just can't. now lets get to the point. what headphones are actually good for the $200 price because obviously these are no good.

i want fast accurate headphones that are good for rock and metal

any suggestions?

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 76
They rate them so high becasue they area  great headphone. They are just not for you, If I may suggest the Gradosr325is, screw any grado below that IMO. The RS-2 are god tire and the RS-1's were just a hint brighter.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 76

Quote:
They rate them so high becasue they area  great headphone. They are just not for you,

Exactly. As so many other people have already told you in the other thread you created pretty much on the same subject.

I think the 225i's are pretty good for someone on a budget as well. BUT, considering that he thinks the 840s are harsh, I can't imagine what the grado sound would do to him.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 76
don't you already have another thread for bashing the 840s? do we really need another?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547151/shure-srh-840-final-impressions-after-1-month-average-imo

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 76
i love my SRH440s. i imagine the 840s are even better. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 76

Quote:
don't you already have another thread for bashing the 840s? do we really need another?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/547151/shure-srh-840-final-impressions-after-1-month-average-imo

that one was an impressions thread. this one was mainly to ask about recommendations.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 76
Because they are truly good for closed headphones.  Believe it or not, all closed headphones under $400 I've heard sound worse than SRH840.  That being said, most open headphones I've heard sound better.

A related issue might be the way people discuss headphones on this site.  There is a tendency for people to praise headphones, and people who read these reviews expect audio nirvana.  But almost all positive comments are relative, and they are making implicit or explicit comparisons to flaws found in other headphones.  If you want closed headphones that simply don't have obvious flaws, you're going to have to pay over $1000.  If you want nirvana, you'll have to buy speakers or go to a live show.

p.s. if you listen to metal, you should look into Grado, Alessandro or Ultrasone, not Shures.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 76

Quote:

The OP is not very happy with the Shure 840. I do not know he is trying to bashing the Shure 840 to vent his frustration or not but he is wasting his time.

They are not for YOU, sir. Please have them returned ifyou could or put them up for sale and cut your lost to move on with your search. Nothing is wrong with the Shure 840 and nothing is wrong with your hearing. Either your source is bad or the Shure is not your cup of tea.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 76

Quote:
OK here is the deal. i bought these because they were on sale for $129.99 and the reviews on the web page were ridiculously good. so i get home and put them on. for the first 10 hours i thought they were amazing but that slowly died. the more i listened to them the more i hated them. harsh vocals, sibilant, muddy, you name the problem and there is a high chance these have it. so i look on here at all the threads on the srh840 and everyone is praising them but they sound like trash. i let other people listen to them and they all said they were good but made screechy noises, and I've had some people with ibuds straight out say they suck. i just don't understand how these are as highly rated as they are. the reviewers were saying things like "i will never need another pair of headphones again". but the difference between these and other headphones i have tried is that no matter what volume these are at they just sound bad. i don't want to come off as a hater but i would love to like these i just can't. now lets get to the point. what headphones are actually good for the $200 price because obviously these are no good.

Uhh..what? Isn't this you below in another post. I understand impressions can change, but do you have a clone?

"alright after listening thoroughly i have come to the conclusion i was way to harsh on these headphones. they sound amazing to me the more i listen to them. and i am finding the harsh highs have disappeared. perhaps this is burn in. as they have definitely been used for 100 hours now"

OK, so you don't like them after all. We get it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 76
Didn't you have this issue with the 750DJs? Either you're incredibly unfortunate in receiving two different cans with the same "issues", or (more than likely) the problem lies elsewhere (ie quality of files, eq applied, volume, software or hardware etc). What have you done to isolate the problem?

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 76
People like the Shure SRH840s because they are excellent all-rounders for the price, but apparently your ears don't like them. That's fine. I thought you said that you'd warmed up to them in the other thread. Guess not.

Stop making pointless threads expressing your internal headphone conflict, sell the 840s and get a better pair that suit you. In fact, I'll buy them.

If this is a thread for recommendations, make the thread title read like you're looking for recommendations, not asking rhetorical questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back