Why do I find cheaper cans more "fun" to listen to?
Mar 16, 2007 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
Well, as you may or may not have read. I've recently sold my HD595's, not because they're bad cans, but because they don't mate well with metal music. (at least to my ears)

So, I went back to my old cans which are a pair of Philips SBC HP200 and the sound comes off a bit distorted and sounds terrible with classical music, but when listening to metal and rock they make you crank up the volume and headbang. It's the first time in a long while where I've had fun listening to my music.

Why am I having so much fun with these cans? Is it because my HD595's were too laid back for metal music? or does that compressed sound make it more fun to listen to music? I'm on the verge of buying a pair of DT990 '05 and a Corda Arietta so I hope I can have as much fun with those headphones, but what happens if I still don't find them as much fun? Stick to the £16 Philips for when it comes to Metal and Rock?
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as you may or may not have read. I've recently sold my HD595's, not because they're bad cans, but because they don't mate well with metal music. (at least to my ears)

So, I went back to my old cans which are a pair of Philips SBC HP200 and the sound comes off a bit distorted and sounds terrible with classical music, but when listening to metal and rock they make you crank up the volume and headbang. It's the first time in a long while where I've had fun listening to my music.

Why am I having so much fun with these cans? Is it because my HD595's were too laid back for metal music? or does that compressed sound make it more fun to listen to music? I'm on the verge of buying a pair of DT990 '05 and a Corda Arietta so I hope I can have as much fun with those headphones, but what happens if I still don't find them as much fun? Stick to the £16 Philips for when it comes to Metal and Rock?
blink.gif

No point worrying. I can safely say that they are totally different beast compared to HD595. Its another story if you like them, but that is what only you can decide after hearing them.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 10
Carl wrote: HD595s sound boring.

I have to agree to a certain extent. I loved the comfort, and I feel that they deliver a smooth sound. However, I prefer my HD 25-1's against the 595's.

I still love my PX200's, I've just order a pair of Koss porta pro's even though I've just brought a pair of ultrasone proline 750.

Even though I scream from the roof tops over how good the ultrasone's are, I do believe that there is no "one" pair of headphones that are a perfect match for every sound or occasion. For example, I don't think my ultrasone 750's were design for portable use.

I think that's the beauty of having a range of headphones that fit every eventuality.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No point worrying. I can safely say that they are totally different beast compared to HD595. Its another story if you like them, but that is what only you can decide after hearing them.

Indeed. From what I've been reading they're a lot more aggressive, which really attracted me to them. It's quite a lot of money to spend, especially with the amp rolling in at around the same price of the phones, but obviously very important. We'll see when I get them.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Listening to metal and moving from the HP200 to the DT990s will be a pleasant surprise i can assure u.

i also listen to metal and i myself moved from HP250 direct to the DT990 '05 and im loving every minute of it. the 990s are definitely fun cans. they make me tap my feet ALOT. also makes me headbang here in the office (where my main headphone rig is at). and to top that... they ALOT more comfotable than the Philips.

heck, they even made me dig up my old metallica collection which i havent heard in years
biggrin.gif

as for WHY the HP200 are more fun than the 595s for metal....simply because IMHO Senns just arent capable of delivering something as energetic as metal.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm actually going through the same feelings you are about high end audio. I've spent good money finding speakers/headphones/sources that are flat and precise. But now that I listen to all of my music through high end speakers/headphones, everything sounds the same regardless of which headphone or speaker I listen through. That's just what happens when you're listening through flat speakers or headphones that reproduce music faithfully and accurately.

I think this is more of a problem with headphones because you don't get quite the same kind of imaging as you do from speakers.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on the verge of buying a pair of DT990 '05 and a Corda Arietta so I hope I can have as much fun with those headphones, but what happens if I still don't find them as much fun? Stick to the £16 Philips for when it comes to Metal and Rock?
blink.gif

The hardest thing about headphones is finding the brand that you like. All headphones at given price structures are well made and technically quite good. That still doesn't mean that they'll be your cup of tea. I personally get that feeling with AKGs....doesn't matter if it's a $200 AKG or the k1000: they all seem to have an unnaturally colored upper midrange for my temperment. So I've settled on Senns and Grados as my house sounds.

For metal, I think it will still be worth it for you to keep your eyes out for a good used Grado (SR225 would be ideal). Until you find that steal (which I take it is hard in the UK), you may find you like Beyers as your general can and your cheapy Philips as your metal can. Owning multiple sets of headphones seems like a norm here
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Because HD595s don't do those genres of music any justice (IMHO).

You need 50cc of Grado SR-225s, STAT! Add TTVJ flat pads if it turns out that you aren't a fan of bowls.

I listen to the same music genres you do, and I started out with a pair of HD595s. They made my music sound so boring, that I sold them, went back to my KOSS Portapros, and nearly gave up on Head-Fi. But then I gave Grados a shot, and the rest is history.

Good luck.

Edit: For what it may be worth, I didn't like the DT990s either with rock and metal.

But as mentioned earlier, only you will know for sure. We can make suggestions all day, but the quest to find the house sound you prefer best is ultimately up to you.

Based on what you have said here in this thread so far, a pair of Grado SR-225s are most likely a very safe bet. If you go that route, I predict that in the not-so-distant future, you will end up with a pair of RS-1s.

rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 10
I guess it takes some time to get used to HiFi stuff, if you are used to lisen to cheap colored gear, most things that produces acurate sound is going to be boring, this was how it was for me, first time I listened to HD650 I thought they sounded bad, flat, lifeless, I thought my PortaPro and HD-485 just was more fun. When I bought my 595 I thought they sounded crap when listening to metal, but now I think they are great. The thing that I appreciate more now is the timing and speed, portapro is making a fat bassy sound that is slow and can't catch up with the speed of metal, this is the place where the 595 is great. Maybe grado is even better, but I can't stand the harsh trebble, haven't listened to 225 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back