Why can't I download album art?
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iriverdude

Banned
This piece of software has been the best at batch downloading my album art but it no longer retrieves covert art.
frown.gif
Anyone had the same problem with this software recently (and album art aggregator which looks identical)

I've tried AlbumArtDownloaderXUI-0.30.exe but you have to select each album to confirm, pretty long winded. Rather leave it going overnight.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 8
Is it trying to get art from Amazon? Amazon recently began requiring a secret key to use the web services API. That can be a problem for some free apps and open source apps. AlbumArtDownloaderXUI now has to scrape Amazon pages instead of going through the web services API. Maybe Album Art Downloader is running into the same problem.

Otherwise, maybe something broke in Python?

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Is there no way of getting album art downloader xui to automatically do a batch download with no user intervention? Clicking on every single album will take all day! :-/

What other applications can do batch download without altering the files/tags? I prefer coverart in file rather than embedded.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 8
I've never done a batch album art update. I search for album art one album at a time when I rip the CD. If I can't find good album art online I'll scan and edit the art myself. Very slow process if I tried to do that in batch mode.

J. River Media Jukebox and Media Center can search for album art. It's not completely batch mode friendly but it should involve fewer clicks. I always use manual select mode on album at a time, I haven't tried the batch or bulk mode in any kind of real test. J. River has their own database of user submitted album art. The quality is as good and consistent as what gets submitted. The problem is that they consider "The Wall" "The Wall (disc 1)" "The Wall [Disc 1]" all as different albums with different album art. So the album art it finds will depend on how you've named your albums and if anyone else with good album art has named them the same way. I think Media Center 14 has improved on that, but I'm still on 13 and haven't switched to 14 yet. Media Jukebox is based on version 12.

Media Jukebox is free. Media Center is not but has a trial period.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there no way of getting album art downloader xui to automatically do a batch download with no user intervention? Clicking on every single album will take all day! :-/

How many albums are missing artwork? It might be a project to do at an hour a night if you ask me.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 8
I just did mine manually, because many of the batch ones don't pull up correct art for my albums. I just did it through iTunes because it conveniently put all the albums in groups.

But if you want it in a file, you may just want to drag and drop, and save the pictures through a folder. If you're using FireFox, I'd find the Save Image In Folder program to make saving pictures much easier.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Try MediaMonkey + Download... (Batch Art Finder script) it works extremely well for me, and doesn't rely on Amazon. Edit: It should have options to Embed in tag/Save to folder/Do both, if not I guess you could work around that and set all your music files to Read Only so it won't be able to embed the artwork, only save to folder.

Another thing you can do if you don't want it embedded, is to allow the script to embed and/or save the images, then run http://trixmoto.net/mm/go.php?f=AlbumArtTagger43.mmip and extract embedded image, and check "delete from tag."

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Huh. That looks interesting. I'm going to try it out just to see.

Be back in a flash.

EDIT: From first glance, this is very impressive. However, I already imported the art from itunes, so I'm going to try it without importing the settings and see what I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back