Why Cables Make A Difference !!
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for sharing!!! Seems a nice website
smily_headphones1.gif

Till now i used to ask cables or custom cables to BJC, and i'm very happy with them. But this seems too a good alternative, which is always nice to have.

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 7
What i notice about Maxwell's site is the fact that although he uses the same high quality material that we would look for ourselves to make DIY stuff, the prices are extrmemly reasonable. i got a "Tech Flex" OFC 25" headphone extention cable with Neutriks plugs for 90.00
I'm going to send him my K702 and Ultrasone pro 9 cables to a custom build job.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to get some nice custom build yourself cables and found this site with a great "Layman's" explanation of Cables and what makes them tick.

Premium Quality Custom Audio Cable Assembly - Milian Acoustics

Comment
---------

1. Why specify DC resistance in ohms/1000ft - does anyone have a 1000ft run of cable ? Why not just divide it by 1000, so the worst has .025ohms/ft so 0.075ohms for a 3ft run. Copuld it be so that the dfferences appear more impressive.

2. The tech stuff is fine while it keeps to the facts but then the speculation comes in

Quote:

but as the wire's size increases, other issues with inductance and capacitance become prevalent—which certainly can effect frequency response

True, however they do not quantify the loss due to capacitance or the length of cable required before audio frequencies are affected.

For a real tech analysis of cables start here.....

Coaxial cable and 'skin effect'

or here

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...rt6/page1.html

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking for a Layman's answer to the question. If I have to go any farther than that, It would involve math and Math is evil and I loose interest past that point.

Sigh, I wish I could lose interest in Maths (and statistics), I dislike them enormously however they are a bit crucial to me at the moment, if my Maths and stats are crappy I do not get to finish my schooling...

Sometimes though only maths and/or stats and a critical evaluation of them will tell you that an argument is flawed or daft. If someone tells you that such an such a cable has a high frequency roll off but omits to tell you that that roll off is 0.003db at 25khz then they are only giving you half the picture. Similarly I discovered that a cable that purports to be directional really does measure differently when incorrectly inserted, but I need to also tell you that the average difference is 0.002db.

You do not need to read the formulae in those pages just skip to the graphs which explain stuff more simply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back