why bother with all this $$$ equipment?
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #61 of 90
Thanks for posting that, brings back a lot of nice memories, the first digital system I've ever used, with Betamax tapes. I'm sure I still have a few of those master tapes in storage somewhere. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Then again: a famous blind test report from 1984; http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #62 of 90

Quote:
Was there not a high res release of these on a USB key?  Why bother with that when the CDs sound as good as it gets?

Because if everyone believes "hi-rez" is audibly better, then SACD can become a viable format and everyone will go and buy their collections in a new format, just like they did with vinyl to CDs. The music industry cash in, the manufacturers of audio gear cash in, I hear even iTunes is going to be marketing "hi-rez" as a way of re-selling the same digital files again. Of course if the people originally bought the tracks form itunes at 160kbps they will hear a night and day difference, exactly as they would have if they upgraded to plain old FLAC or 320kbps LAME. What a perfect scam.

Type "the myth exploded" into the search engine here and read why it is not even a matter of opinion that there is no audible difference - it is scientific fact.

People often say "but I heard a hi-rez album and it sounded much better than my CDs". Yeah well I have many CDs that sound much better than my other CDs - they have been masterfully produced and mastered - they are better recordings than the others and that has nothing to do with the medium it is carried on.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #64 of 90

Quote:

you still have left a major logical flaw - there really are no records cut with exactly the same signal as recorded in the digital source distribution

if there were the cutting/stamping/turntable/tonearm/cart/preamp signal chain has plenty of "clearly audible" errors/differences which give your amp a way different electrical signal input than playing the digital distribution through a DAC

the most practical "fair" test is to take the analog output of the "audibly superior" vinyl rig from the RIAA preamp and then insert a SOTA  ADC/DAC digital path to compare with in bypass mode

when hi rez formats have been similarly compared with a inserted CD resolution path the difference hasn't been heard with music signals

"the numbers" for the latest, SOTA studio quality ADC/DACs leave so little technical room for errors in converting/reproducing audio analog signals that ascribing preference for "vinyl sound" to "something bad digital does to the sound" is moving into anti-scientific "vitalism" theories
this wasn't true at the beginning of CD audio - DACs, ADCs have benefited from hugely accelerated technical development riding on other multi Billion $ markets, the technical demands of some markets like Medical Ultrasound Imaging are now driving ADC performance beyond Audio demands - until ~ the beginning of the last decade Audio ADC/DAC was one of the most demanding combinations of sample rate, relative bandwidth, S/N and linearity requirements with enough $ to spur new chip development

vinyl may be the more reliable source of good "musical" sound studio recording/production/mastering practices - but that's not due to limitations and faults of the best digital Audio is capable of

Well you are right of course that at the end of the day, vinyl and CD can't effectively sound the same EXACTLY, and that is my point from my previous post I suppose.  Those that enjoy vinyl and have found vinyl to sound different or better or what have you, at least those in this thread, what they don't want likely (in the realm of offering input/advice) is for someone to sell vinyl short and not even give it a chance, given some notion that CD or other digital formats are de facto better.  

The original post posed the question: why spend big bucks on gear?  An answer is: big bucks CAN provide one with a different experience from cheaper gear, particularly in the analogue realm, and many interpret these differences as superior to the experiences offered up by cheaper gear.  This is not a universal truth; it isn't absolute for all humans, nor for all gear.  However, it does seem, all things being equal, as one moves up the ladder of price points, certain achievements are made.  This could be due to tolerances, or over building (particularly with power supplies) etc.  With digital, many feel that major dollar differences don't really offer enormous improvements to justify massive price hikes (except usually when really robust power supplies are used).  In this case, it may be truer than for instance with vinyl.  With analogue, it seems climbing the ladder does offer up more audible differences and therefore is a good answer to "why bother with all this $$$ equipment."

Quote:
Because if everyone believes "hi-rez" is audibly better, then SACD can become a viable format and everyone will go and buy their collections in a new format, just like they did with vinyl to CDs. The music industry cash in, the manufacturers of audio gear cash in, I hear even iTunes is going to be marketing "hi-rez" as a way of re-selling the same digital files again. Of course if the people originally bought the tracks form itunes at 160kbps they will hear a night and day difference, exactly as they would have if they upgraded to plain old FLAC or 320kbps LAME. What a perfect scam.

Type "the myth exploded" into the search engine here and read why it is not even a matter of opinion that there is no audible difference - it is scientific fact.

People often say "but I heard a hi-rez album and it sounded much better than my CDs". Yeah well I have many CDs that sound much better than my other CDs - they have been masterfully produced and mastered - they are better recordings than the others and that has nothing to do with the medium it is carried on.

Cash grabs are sadly a major issue in the music and audio industry, perhaps more than in many other industries.  High resolution software is likely not going to come our way in droves any time soon, but it will happen if only because labels will hope to cash in again and again on selling someone yet another copy of DSOTM :)

That said, SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray Audio, high res files...  they offer, or are said to offer better sound than CDs. Is this possible?  Sure.  Is is possible that this is not absolutely true?  Absolutely :wink:  In fact, early in the SACD production, many users were finding that the SACD layer sounded exactly like a CD of the same album (with same mix and master).  Why was this?  Some companies were just throwing on the 16/44 music on the SACD and calling it high res.  Cash grab 101.  Some excellent threads at sa-cd.net and stevehoffman.tv go into great detail focusing on various releases that did have this happen and the outcry from the customers who felt they had been had.  

Other threads concentrate on sonic differences (with various DBT testing) between various formats and all things being as about equal as possible, the high res seemed to get more votes on sounding better.

Other tests where vinyl and reel to reel were thrown into the loop found that vinyl was getting more votes.  Why?  There are threads discussing it.  If vinyl can offer something novel, be it better or simply different, is it not worth recommending to someone interested in this hobby of ours?  Certainly.  If someone were to be a vinyl zealot (condemning all things digital), and there are such people, then I could understand a backlash against posts of "vinyl is better."  But if/when a music lover, who owns multiple rigs to play multiple formats and they continually declare, on average, they prefer vinyl, that is something worth noting and not scoffing at.  

There are some interesting threads that focus on needle drops of vinyl recording on CD which sound better, more music, more natural, than the retail CD.  Why is this?  What is it about the needle drop that sounds better?  Plenty of threads on various forums discuss this phenomenon.  Again, this is something worth investigating and again, something that if one found themselves agreeing, perhaps may also feel that spending $$$ on a rig that provides MORE of that good stuff, well then, it becomes money well spent.

Quote:
I'd love to know if the people advocating vinyls subjective qualities can verify that they are in fact listening to pressings of the exact same master. There's many out there, and I'm sure a quick google will result in something. There's even vinyl (modern metal for example) that are pressed directly from CD (Boris comes to mind). I dont think anyone is going to sit down and say a better mastering job (which, as I already said was due to physical limitations) is going to sound worse than a bad mastering job between these two formats, but when advocates say "Analog is king" or "Vinyl is the best", they're making fundamental errors about the actual media. More correct would be to say "<X> is better on vinyl".

What you're assuming here is that people are looking for subjective qualities in sources like you would in say, a headphone (eg, the HD650). The ultimate source component is 1:1, and that's not even close to being debatable.

A CD gets closer to 1:1 than vinyl does, if we're pushing the absolute limits of the media

On the subject of pet peeves, one of mine is the people who talk about quantisation noise without the understanding of how small each quantisation point is, and indeed that we do not receive "blocks" of sound when listening to digital sources - because that would require an infinite velocity from a speaker.

This is a good point.  Take Icky Thump by The White Stripes.  The CD was horribly mastered, brickwalled to death. The vinyl was very well mastered and has dynamics unlike most any rock album pressed in 30 years. Why?  Time, care and passion went into the mastering of the LP.  Marketting decisions dictated the mastering of the CD. Too bad because folks who have only heard the CD are missing out!

So then, how can one experiment without knowing about hte mix and mastering?  They simply can't and I'd side with anyone saying it is impossible to come to any meaningful conclusions based on ignorance of the chain.  A well mastered CD will sound better than a poorly mastered LP of the same album no matter what the playback system.  Garbage in, garbage out reigns supreme.  BUT!  There have been tests conducted by folks who have the means of comparing directly to the master tape, cut or pressed to all formats.  The end result?  The collective opinion of this group was that vinyl sounded best.  Again, no one there had any reason to indicate anything other than their honest opinion, so why lie?  If they aren't lying, again we are presented with something interesting: why do many people enjoy vinyl more?  Is it worth investigating and spending some money to discover this?  That is a personal choice but something that anyone who is really into this hobby shouldn't be denied and/or lead to believe that those that have come to that conclusion are somehow delusional.

I make no money from anything in the music or audio world.  I would actually prefer saving money on music and not throwing down bigger bucks on LP releases of the same album, but time and time again I've enjoyed vinyl of the same albums pressed to even SACD.  A perfect example are many of the Analogue Productions Jazz remasters.  I own plenty of the LPs, but of some of my favourite albums, I picked up the SACD too.  Same music, same chain all the way down to the end point.  My SACD rig is quite good and capable, but I prefer the vinyl.  My analogue rig, by pure numbers, is pricier and higher end than my CD or SACD rig, so that could be it, but I've also listened to these albums in a system where the SACD player cost 3 times my vinyl rig.  Still, I preferred the vinyl.  Is this always the case?  No, but all things being equal as far as possible I do prefer the vinyl. 

As for quantization, I won't argue your point but one interesting point is that we as humans effectively hear not as a pure continuous wave but rather as a flow of signals pushed down a line in a quantum fashion.  
Quote:
I do not have an agenda either, but to say vinyl surpasses digital is insane and very misleading. Like I said before, the sound quality of pressed vinyl is always going to be inferior to that of a reel to reel tape recorder : a vinyl record made from a tape master will always sound worse than the original. And if the vinyl record was mastered from a digital master, be it 24 bit or 16 bit, it can never be as good as the original. Before the lacquer get cut, the master tape has to go through an EQ (which get counter EQed by the phono amp during playback) to boost the high frequencies and lower the low frequencies, without the EQing process, a 33.3 rpm 12' vinyl record would probably only have a playtime of 10 minutes per side and have so much background noise that one could hardly hear the music. Depending on the length of the recording, the sound level of the original master gets attenuated (or compressed during post-production) to limit the dynamic range since the signal to noise ratio of vinyl records is only 60dB at best (70dB with a virgin direct cut), compare to 1/2" tape at 70dB (80dB with Dolby A) or digital at 96dB (or 144dB with 24 bit). If you prefer the sound of vinyl, it probably means that you like the added distortions during the transferring process, from digital to analogue, and all the post production that needed to be made in order to cut the lacquer master, and not because the sound quality is better. 
wink.gif

One can't throw words around like always, never etc etc.  You are using absolutes which is clearly impossible when subjective appreciation is thrown into the mix.  If one wanted to analytically example wave forms, we might be able to mathematically plot out similarities and differences but in the end one can't definitively say: A is better than B.  One could say: A is closer to X than B is based on these criteria and the analyzes conducted.  

That's it that's all.  

Quote:
SACD has long since passed it's opportunity to become a widely available product.

Agreed.  I know many hope Blu-ray will go where SACD failed to go.  It won't happen.  At best, if Apple is serious about releasing high res files (as indicated last week), then there is a chance for high res files at a premium price.  Perhaps we will see 24/96 or 24/192 downloads of mainstream music before the end of this decade.  For now we must either needle drop from vinyl or get our true digital files from HDTracks, Reference Recordings, Linn etc.  

I'm of the opinion that whatever can sound best to me is what I want to buy into.  For now all music is not available in all formats, so I pick and choose as best I can so that I can maximize my enjoyment of recorded music. 

Consistently, the music I find on vinyl has had more care put into the entire chain, particularly the mastering, than CDs I am interested.  A win then for sonics in the vinyl camp.  The problem with vinyl (as has always been the case)?  Poor pressings.  Warps, scratches, clicks and pops.  I have plenty of super quiet vinyl, so quiet one would be hard pressed to declare it anything other than digital, but I also have plenty of vinyl that has been awful straight out of the shrink wrap.  

For the subject of this thread, such quality control issues may be enough to turn someone away from spending $$$ on vinyl.  For others, the crap shoot is worth the payoff when the payoff is grand.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #65 of 90
I don't like the various format superiority fights.

The truth is that you don't have to be exclusive to any format.

Can vinyl sound very good? Yes.
Can SACD sound very good? Yes.
Can CD sound very good? Yes.
Can reel to reel sound very good? Yes.
Can a FLAC file sound very good? Yes.

So if all these formats have the potential to sound very good, why not use them all?

The best argument for vinyl is that there are lots of recordings that were never digitized. That's a great reason to have a turntable. You can get lots of music you wouldn't hear otherwise, often inexpensively. A good turntable setup will make them sound great.

You can fight over the particulars, but you're better off maximizing the amount of music you can listen to. Enjoying music is the goal, not fighting over small technical details.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #66 of 90
Quote:
I don't like the various format superiority fights.

The truth is that you don't have to be exclusive to any format.

Can vinyl sound very good? Yes.
Can SACD sound very good? Yes.
Can CD sound very good? Yes.
Can reel to reel sound very good? Yes.
Can a FLAC file sound very good? Yes.

So if all these formats have the potential to sound very good, why not use them all?

The best argument for vinyl is that there are lots of recordings that were never digitized. That's a great reason to have a turntable. You can get lots of music you wouldn't hear otherwise, often inexpensively. A good turntable setup will make them sound great.

You can fight over the particulars, but you're better off maximizing the amount of music you can listen to. Enjoying music is the goal, not fighting over small technical details.

AMEN to that truthful statement,Uncle Erik, But you still have the "Fighters" as you call them!  They'd tell Jesus Christ "You didn't walk on water"!

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #67 of 90
Why not? Since you obviously have no idea how a record is mastered or what is involved in producing a vinyl record or the technical differences between analogue and digital and then claim that the SQ of vinyl record is more superior, I was merely trying to enlighten you with the facts. Why can't people understand the difference between a digital master of a piece of classical recording and a vinyl record of it is just distortions and nothing else, and if they really think the vinyl version is better it's because they like the distortions. Why is it so hard to admit it? Anything that is added to the original signal of the master is distortion. Vintage tube sound is basically distortion, I like it myself, but I wouldn't say it sounds more superior.

Both CD and vinyl mixes are usually identical, if the non-classical CD mix sound different to the vinyl version, it's because it has been heavily compressed and limited during post production. Most non-classical CDs nowadays have dynamic range of less than 10dB, but that's not the problem of the CD format, it's just because the vinyl master was not compressed like the CD master. So if you really want to compare sound quality, you should use a classical CD, otherwise you are merely comparing apples to oranges.

SACD has great potential technically but it is still only as good as the master, if the master was heavily compressed like most CDs nowadays, it will not sound any better. However, I think most remastered recordings on SACD recently are quite well made, especially the surround mixes, makes me not want to listen in stereo ever again. Listening to an SACD surround mix on a decent 5.1 system is better than the best stereo system I've ever heard. That's probably the reason why they are getting more popular recently. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Well you are right of course that at the end of the day, vinyl and CD can't effectively sound the same EXACTLY, and that is my point from my previous post I suppose.  Those that enjoy vinyl and have found vinyl to sound different or better or what have you, at least those in this thread, what they don't want likely (in the realm of offering input/advice) is for someone to sell vinyl short and not even give it a chance, given some notion that CD or other digital formats are de facto better. 

One can't throw words around like always, never etc etc.  You are using absolutes which is clearly impossible when subjective appreciation is thrown into the mix.  If one wanted to analytically example wave forms, we might be able to mathematically plot out similarities and differences but in the end one can't definitively say: A is better than B.  One could say: A is closer to X than B is based on these criteria and the analyzes conducted.  

That's it that's all.  

This is a good point.  Take Icky Thump by The White Stripes.  The CD was horribly mastered, brickwalled to death. The vinyl was very well mastered and has dynamics unlike most any rock album pressed in 30 years. Why?  Time, care and passion went into the mastering of the LP.  Marketting decisions dictated the mastering of the CD. Too bad because folks who have only heard the CD are missing out!

So then, how can one experiment without knowing about hte mix and mastering?  They simply can't and I'd side with anyone saying it is impossible to come to any meaningful conclusions based on ignorance of the chain.  A well mastered CD will sound better than a poorly mastered LP of the same album no matter what the playback system.  Garbage in, garbage out reigns supreme.  BUT!  There have been tests conducted by folks who have the means of comparing directly to the master tape, cut or pressed to all formats.  The end result?  The collective opinion of this group was that vinyl sounded best.  Again, no one there had any reason to indicate anything other than their honest opinion, so why lie?  If they aren't lying, again we are presented with something interesting: why do many people enjoy vinyl more?  Is it worth investigating and spending some money to discover this?  That is a personal choice but something that anyone who is really into this hobby shouldn't be denied and/or lead to believe that those that have come to that conclusion are somehow delusional.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #68 of 90
I think the point is that, all things being equal, SACD is huge improvement. At least this is true with my collection.
Just last night, I listened to my Doobie bros. SACDs, and it is wonderous how the digital glare annoying punchiness is just gone, but all the
resolution remains, so I can turn it up to concert level on my Ed. 8s with no problem, and everything is as natural as heck.
And this is compared to my old DCC Gold redbook versions, which I thought were fine, but they can't hold a candle to the SACDs.

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #69 of 90

Quote:
I think the point is that, all things being equal, SACD is huge improvement. At least this is true with my collection.
Just last night, I listened to my Doobie bros. SACDs, and it is wonderous how the digital glare annoying punchiness is just gone, but all the
resolution remains, so I can turn it up to concert level on my Ed. 8s with no problem, and everything is as natural as heck.
And this is compared to my old DCC Gold redbook versions, which I thought were fine, but they can't hold a candle to the SACDs.

I have  over 200 SACD and most are good. But some are also bad. If the recording was done DSD they are better than CD. But many CD are now just as good IMO and some may be better than my best sacd. The biggest differences I have heard are blacker background with the SACD. Classical recordings are really pretty special on SACD. It still all about the mastering being done. IMO the best recorded CD are no on par with vinyl.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #70 of 90

Quote:
[size=medium]
The only difference between 16bit and 24bit is 48dB of dynamic range (8bits x 6dB = 48dB) and nothing else. This is not a question for interpretation or opinion, it is the provable, undisputed logical mathematics which underpins the very existence of digital audio.

So, can you actually hear any benefits of the larger (48dB) dynamic range offered by 24bit? Unfortunately, no you can't. The entire dynamic range of some types of music is sometimes less than 12dB. The recordings with the largest dynamic range tend to be symphony orchestra recordings but even these virtually never have a dynamic range greater than about 60dB. All of these are well inside the 96dB range of the humble CD.

[/size]

Source

From the same post:

Quote:
So if the average noise floor for a sitting room is say 50dB (or 30dB for cans) then the dynamic range of the CD starts at this point and is capable of 96dB (at least) above the room noise floor. If the full dynamic range of a CD was actually used (on top of the noise floor), the home listener (if they had the equipment) would almost certainly cause themselves severe pain and permanent hearing damage. If this is the case with CD, what about 24bit Hi-Rez. If we were to use the full dynamic range of 24bit and a listener had the equipment to reproduce it all, there is a fair chance, depending on age and general health, that the listener would die instantly.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #71 of 90

Quote:
Why not? Since you obviously have no idea how a record is mastered or what is involved in producing a vinyl record or the technical differences between analogue and digital and then claim that the SQ of vinyl record is more superior, I was merely trying to enlighten you with the facts. Why can't people understand the difference between a digital master of a piece of classical recording and a vinyl record of it is just distortions and nothing else, and if they really think the vinyl version is better it's because they like the distortions. Why is it so hard to admit it? Anything that is added to the original signal of the master is distortion. Vintage tube sound is basically distortion, I like it myself, but I wouldn't say it sounds more superior.

Wow, you are a rude one aren't you?  There is no need to educate me.  You know nothing about me.  You don't know my background, my profession nor my education.  If you reread my post, what did I specifically indicate?  EVEN IF!!!! CD is closer to the master or closer to the live performance than Vinyl, regardless of this fact, IF!!! vinyl sounds better to someone, then the words absolutely or always better etc., is simply not true.  It can't be true in an absolute sense if even one person does indeed enjoy vinyl over CD and in fact if even the option of such a preference exists. 

I did not argue against your points of the purity chain, nor of recording, mixing and mastering techniques or technology.  There is no need to be rude and indicate I'm some ignorant n00b who needs to be taught what is what.

The point of this thread is simply: why throw down money on all this stuff.  There are many people in the CD world (just check out hydrodenaudio for instance) who believe that V0 mp3 through any modern DAC will sound the same and all amps sound the same, the only major differences in sonics derives from the transducers.  To such people, spending anything other than a $100 or so on this stuff is obscenely incompetent and naive.  

Is this the case? V0 is as good as it gets?  Push out to some cheap DAC and some discreet amp and we are good to go?  Hardly.  But, if one believes this without testing themselves, then the answer to the topic question is simple: SAVE YOUR MONEY.

For those that truly want to answer that question for themselves they have to do something, they have to act, they have to put some effort into it.  

This I believe is the problem many people have when stating one format is superior than the other, thus ignoring all others.  My two posts above simply address the fact that plenty of people feel vinyl sounds better.  If it is indeed distortion, or some other anomalous injection or detraction, yet somehow provides a superior listening experience, then those distortions and/or anomalies are GOOD! for the music and therefore could be investigated and ideally invested in if one wants to maximize one's pleasure.  You ask why is it so hard to admit it?  Admit the superiority of a format?  This simply can't be done at this point because the variables are different.  What I can admit to is that if a digital recording has a set of 0's and 1's and they exactly match the 0's and 1's of the final digital product, then yes, digital files stored however, will indeed be closest to the recording. 

That said, the second we drop down the resolution of the files, we are now into the world of approximations and at that point, numbers alone won't tell the story.

Indeed I now ask you the same question:  Why is it so hard to admit it?  More to the point, why is it so hard to admit that people can prefer vinyl and if many many people do, and they have top shelf CD rigs, then perhaps in fact, vinyl is better, at least in some, as of yet, unquantifiable way (though this is not the case, there are plenty of reasons for why one might enjoy the sonics over CD).  Or, if not better absolutely (which I never claimed, go reread my posts if you disagree), then in enough cases as to merit investing in not only a vinyl rig, but a good one.  Better stylii get into the grooves, better tolerances reduce mechanical errors, better isolation removes or reduces vibration and so on and so on.  

Why spend $$$?  Because time and time again, people have come away with a better appreciation or a more involving experience while listening to music through well designed and well built audio.  The money isn't the key here the design and parts and build quality are key!  If the best in all those areas can be had for $100, why blow $100000000000000000 on something that may have a higher bling factor but not sound as good?  Some people like bling, so the money is well spent for them.  That's not my idea of the hobby overall (though I like nice looking gear) but to some looks over sonics is money well spent.  YMMV.

Quote:

Both CD and vinyl mixes are usually identical, if the non-classical CD mix sound different to the vinyl version, it's because it has been heavily compressed and limited during post production. Most non-classical CDs nowadays have dynamic range of less than 10dB, but that's not the problem of the CD format, it's just because the vinyl master was not compressed like the CD master. So if you really want to compare sound quality, you should use a classical CD, otherwise you are merely comparing apples to oranges.

SACD has great potential technically but it is still only as good as the master, if the master was heavily compressed like most CDs nowadays, it will not sound any better. However, I think most remastered recordings on SACD recently are quite well made, especially the surround mixes, makes me not want to listen in stereo ever again. Listening to an SACD surround mix on a decent 5.1 system is better than the best stereo system I've ever heard. That's probably the reason why they are getting more popular recently. 
wink.gif

I can't claim CD and vinyl mixes are usually identical because I don't have any data to verify this.  It would make sense to me that in many cases the mixes are the same, particularly if the vinyl is limited release after thought.  What is usually different is the mastering, if there is a difference at all.  Again, I have always claimed (and you are free to go through my post history) that garbage in garbage out is the most important or second most important aspect of good sound.  Some prefer a poor sounding disc (whatever the format) through an awesome setup vs. an excellent sounding disc through a clock radio unit.  For me, I usually pull in favour of the latter, particularly since most are listening through at least semi-capable rigs and so the mastering will provide the greater revelations to me, than listening to someone's perfectly setup 250k system but the discs are brickwalled to death.  

Again, addressing the topic of the thread, I spend my money in this order for this hobby:

1) Music  
  1.     Best Sounding format 
  2.     Best packaged format

2) Front-end  
  1.     Vinyl rig
  2.     Digital

3) Transducers
4) Amps
5) Power
6) Tubes
7) Cables
8) Tweaks

I spend most of my money on music because I feel that's the point of the hobby.  It may surprise you to know that I almost exclusively buy classical music on SACD.  Classical music makes up nearly 50% of my music collection and my music collection is massive.  Not Mossback massive :) but in the thousands of units total.

I buy jazz almost exclusively on vinyl, as well as rock when available.  My other preferred genres I buy what I can find and I buy according to sonics first and what looks the best.  Liner notes and big artwork is important to me.  Vinyl wins usually.

The only reason the front-ends get more attention is because I don't have speakers yet.  Once I do, speakers will swap places with the front-ends.  I feel that speakers and headphones offer the most dramatic flavouring and tailoring of the sound.  I would prefer to have more music to listen to than an incredible rig to listen on (though that is close).  The other points simply flow down the line where I feel logically the improvements are the greatest.  All in all, if one were to concentrate on digital only, one could save a lot of money, download exclusively, drop on some DAP, and grab some decent headphones and that would be the end of it.  Total cash output for the rig could be less than $200.  Will $200 spent compete with more expensive and well thought out systems?  For some maybe, but I'd wager that in almost every case of comparing between two such systems, the pricier one will win out in sonic goodness.  No one needs to break the bank in this hobby, but spending money does reap major improvements.  At least I think so and I know I'm not alone.  

That's it for me in this thread.  I don't have anything further to contribute.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #72 of 90
Nice post Zanth. I sometimes listen to my digital rig (with recent recordings) and wonder how a vinyl rig could possibly sound better. Yet, I am curious and have done a lot of reading of people who prefer vinyl, and sometimes by no small amount. Thus, I am going to put together a vinyl rig. I have already been buying the Analogue Productions and Music Matters 45 rpm jazz records. Personally, I will let my ears decide. I have a lot of cds of 1950s and 1960s jazz and often they sound poor, with recessed and thin-sounding pianos. I am hoping the analogue sounds much better. In any regard, I am curious as to why you usually buy SACD when it comes to classical. Is this because you are buying new recordings, and SACD is the best available (since new classical albums rarely come out on vinyl)? 

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #73 of 90

Quote:
wink.gif

a few pages back in this thread, Post 39, you responded to my comments with a list of your experience in audio....to somehow justify your take on vinyl. nowhere did you describe a high end vinyl set-up. pro audio guys have no idea how a high end vinyl set-up sounds. you won't find one in a studio. i decided at the time to not challenge you on that and just exit the thread.

but your above comment is just wrong and indicates a lack of personal experience with high end vinyl. and readers might actually believe that dreck.

so i'll now ask you to describe the specific high end vinyl system where you determined those conclusions.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #74 of 90

Quote:
Nice post Zanth. I sometimes listen to my digital rig (with recent recordings) and wonder how a vinyl rig could possibly sound better. Yet, I am curious and have done a lot of reading of people who prefer vinyl, and sometimes by no small amount. Thus, I am going to put together a vinyl rig. I have already been buying the Analogue Productions and Music Matters 45 rpm jazz records. Personally, I will let my ears decide. I have a lot of cds of 1950s and 1960s jazz and often they sound poor, with recessed and thin-sounding pianos. I am hoping the analogue sounds much better. In any regard, I am curious as to why you usually buy SACD when it comes to classical. Is this because you are buying new recordings, and SACD is the best available (since new classical albums rarely come out on vinyl)? 

Like you, I was curious when I continually read on many audio forums, the merit of vinyl.  What really sold me was when a friend of mine, a well seasoned audiophile and music lover, not prone to hyperbole, told me that given my tastes in music, I would absolutely love vinyl.  He set me up with a rig and told me, that if I didn't like it, I could give it back to him.  Within a day I bought it.  Within a month I upgraded to what I have now.  I was able to get, from even a modest rig, sonics I hadn't heard from any digital rig, and up to that point I have even heard the mighty dCS stack.  Now I've heard much better in my opinion on both fronts, and again, vinyl seems to get it right more often than not for me.  

Buying the MM and APO releases is it!  You will never look back :)  I have been buying those up as well (darn the prices!) and they are without a doubt, consistently the best sounding releases I own.  That said, comparing with the SACD versions (particularly the absolutely incredible Love Is The Thing by Nat King Cole) demonstrated that passion, time and care upstream will result in sonic bliss regardless of the format.  That said, those 45 rpms sound better than the SACD counter parts (in my system at least).

Why do I buy more classical on SACD?  You are right in assuming that it is because of newer recordings, though, I also bought all the Living Stereo and Mercury releases of older, timeless greats.  One reason I like SACD or even CD in many cases is that I can listen to an entire work without getting up to flip a disc.  With jazz or rock, I don't seem to mind the 10 - 20 minutes between flips.  With classical works, I like to sit and enjoy uninterrupted.  

Another reason is that I can source out quality classical for very cheap and with consistent quality.  I've had great fortune in buying incredible box sets of mighty classical works from yesteryear on the original vinyl where each slab was pristine.  More often than not though, the used classical vinyl I have purchased hasn't been as well cared for.  I've pretty much stopped buying used vinyl because I've been burned a lot.  I know many many people have had wonderful luck.  And I have too, but not as often as I would like.  That said, new vinyl isn't a guaranteed win either, but with the APO, MM or ORG releases (which I buy mostly) are always perfect, or at least mine have been.

Although I have a preference for the tone and timbre coming from vinyl, over any digital format I've heard (though SACD gets closest - DSD over PCM???) I have a preference for near silent mediums for ensemble and solo works, which I buy most often.  For symphonies, vinyl is fine, because any noise from less-than-mint discs can be drowned out.  That said, if I am listening to reed instruments, my speciality, then I buy vinyl exclusively when available. It simply sounds right.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #75 of 90
The only media that's dead for sure is the Sony Elcaset.  Mediums  like vinyl, CD, and  SACD,  because they  have  persuaded us with  some sort of enduring  appeal, are all likely to be around until something new is clearly seen as better by all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back