why are most stuff sold here domestic sales?
Sep 28, 2006 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

camille

1000+ Head-Fier
a lot of FS threads either mention for an item going for $xxx shipped CONUS or UK/EU, etc. is there any reason why sellers wont include any buyers outside their designated country? i just find it odd is all.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 29
international shipping sucks.

tracking theves across boarders even with better shipping (which costs too much) is an excersize in futility.

hmm, what else. there ws more in the last thread about this.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 29
i ship international for most sales, but i'm exception.

infact for usps there is no tracking for international beside EMS. for fed ex and ups, its $50 to $300. even though i do ship international i'm not fond of it, unless the buyer willing to pay for the express.

interesting to note that these two big names do not ship to cuba and north korea. while dhl and usps do.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 29
I'm pretty sure that most people that don't live in the US are quite unhappy about how this works around here, but I guess there's not enough of us for people to care.

I know that to ship here to Canada, the price is approximately the same for the person doing the shipping and it's not any different than shipping to the US other than filling out a simple customs form. And obviously the buyers are willing to pay for any extra shipping costs involved. People really need to rethink about selling only to the US. For most people, it's just a matter of not caring and knowing about what's involved. I've seen a sale or two go by that no one ended up biting for that I was interested in, yet the seller wouldn't ship to Canada.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 29
I sell only to domestic (relative to where I am at the time) residents because:

Dont have to deal with foreign customs
less frequent scams (this is subjective though, and is just my impression). If there is a scam, my impression is that it might be easier to get it resolved.

**edit**
Just see the Storm digital and Ken Law threads.... NO WAY am I doing any non-domestic business.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 29
Shipping can be extremely expensive especially if you want/need to get insurance, online tracking (and online signature confirmation).

And Paypal's seller's protection policy requires sellers to ship to a confirmed address and if it's under $250 with online tracking and over that online tracking and online signature confirmation. Last I checked Paypal (American) only confirms addresses in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. And shipping to an unconfirmed address is a risk.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 29
Whether you ship to Wisconsin or Patagonia you still have to make the trip to your shipper of choice. To ship to Patagonia there is one extra form to fill in for customs.
As a seller your job is to pack the article properly and get it to the shipper, you need not track it, that’s the buyers problem. As a buyer I have found the best way to track is just to phone the shipper, most online facilities just plain suck.
So what has the shipping price got to do with it? International buyers are well aware that it would cost them more in shipping just as you are aware that shipping will cost you more from Pricejapan than from TTVJ.
Since when does a seller have to deal with foreign customs? You fill in a form with the description and value of the goods that is all. Customs, taxes, and duties are a buyer’s problem not a seller’s problem.
Scams? Verify that the money has been paid into your account and then ship. Not too difficult is it?
For us international buyers Caveat Emptor applies as usual.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane
Whether you ship to Wisconsin or Patagonia you still have to make the trip to your shipper of choice. To ship to Patagonia there is one extra form to fill in for customs.
As a seller your job is to pack the article properly and get it to the shipper, you need not track it, that’s the buyers problem. As a buyer I have found the best way to track is just to phone the shipper, most online facilities just plain suck.
So what has the shipping price got to do with it? International buyers are well aware that it would cost them more in shipping just as you are aware that shipping will cost you more from Pricejapan than from TTVJ.
Since when does a seller have to deal with foreign customs? You fill in a form with the description and value of the goods that is all. Customs, taxes, and duties are a buyer’s problem not a seller’s problem.
Scams? Verify that the money has been paid into your account and then ship. Not too difficult is it?
For us international buyers Caveat Emptor applies as usual.

I agree with you, but only if the buyer paid in cash or his or her check cleared before shipment.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 29
It's because filling out that little blue customs form is too difficult to understand.
evil_smiley.gif

Paypal's protection policies aren't much protection as it is, so using that as an excuse in a forum where you can easily search someone's history, no matter where in the world they reside, is a bit thin as an excuse IMO. I think it's mostly mild xenophobia, and they use horror stories to rationalize it.

Let's face it, they just don't want to sell their previous FOTM's badly enough.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 29
Well I've only really dealt domestically and to New Zealand to some extent, but that's like canada as to america, so I don't really classifiy it as international. I haven't really had anything that anyone internationally has wanted and it's really difficult for me to accept payment with a non premier paypal account that I use that's actually a family members
rolleyes.gif
. Domestically people can just DD straight into my bank account or even send me some cash that takes only a few days.

I ended up sending some capacitors free to greece as it a hassle to get the small amount of money for them and really in hindsight for anything that small it's not worth it and I'll just be generous every now and then.
biggrin.gif

I do give a pat on the back to those that send stuff internationally as I definitely do buy a bit of stuff off you US guys.

I personally have no problems with any extra effort involved, if any. Just like I said I'm not easily able to receive payment and a lot of things I have sold or could sell are more expensive than US prices.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 29
If it was under $50 I might seriously consider it. Otherwise, I'd rather play it safe rather than being sorry. Paypal policies are geared towards protecting buyers and the sellers assume the risk. And Paypal protection is better than no protection at all.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 29
Although this hasn't happened to me yet, I'm reading a lot about fraudulent buyers that do a chargeback through their credit cards.

Paypal will always side with the credit company and boot the seller from what I'm reading. Makes it scary for selling and shipping high price items out of your native country.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #14 of 29
I have no probs selling outside Australia (main reason: to gain more potential buyers) and IME it is just as easy as posting to domestic addresses.

I have a problem, however, with convincing people out there to send their sales stuff across the sea to me. On average, 2 out of 3 sellers I contacted in the past refused to sell to me just because I am 'outside' (and despite my offer of extra $$$ for shipping). One recent example is when I contacted a person selling a GS Solo amp (on a different forum and where he is a moderator). After 2 days of um-ah, he told me he sold the amp locally. He promptly deleted the thread. Guess what? A few days later, he created a new thread advertising the same amp (buyer supposedly backed out). When I asked (publicly) why he would not sell to me in the first place, he said he would consider and later on quoted a ridiculous shipping fee (definitely to discourage me). When I said I had gotten it from elsewhere, he quickly deleted the thread and reopened a new one soon. Talk about abuse of moderator's power. Why he could not just reject my offers in the first place and not play around with his moderator's power is beyond me.

Regards anyway.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON
Although this hasn't happened to me yet, I'm reading a lot about fraudulent buyers that do a chargeback through their credit cards.

Paypal will always side with the credit company and boot the seller from what I'm reading. Makes it scary for selling and shipping high price items out of your native country.

You might be right but most threads I have read here on Head-Fi that are about being scammed are from buyers who pay over hard cash for goods that are never delivered. I think local or international; the risk of being scammed is much greater for a buyer than a seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back