Why are buying new but ancient technology gears? And pay a premium for them.
Jun 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dvw

500+ Head-Fier
A lot of high end gears are expensive and are composed of antiquated technology.

For example; watches. All the high end watches are mechanical watches. They can be 100 times more expensive than a simple quartz watch. And yet the best of the best mechanical watch are far inferior to a simple quartz watch in performance. Now that I am semi-retired, I don't have enough activities to keep my watch wound. A G-shock is more convenient for me than a Rolex right now. Meanwhile, the mechanical watch guys are still designing new movement. NOT? New Old Technology.

Example 2, fountain pen. They're messy, They give you inky finger.They smear. And they are no smoother than a rollerball or gel. Yet they are the high end of pens. The vintage pens have some flexibility in their nibs. So the writing can be very expressive. And yet they're sold at a significant discount compared to the modern fountain pen. I enjoyed using a fountain pen because I simply don't like how the ballpoint pen. But with the new hybrid ink like Jetstream(Uniball) and Inkyjoy, I am starting to change my mind.

We, of course also have to talk about turntable. The non-stopped cleaning, tweaking just burned me out on turntable. After I converted most of my LP collection to digital, I retired my turntable years ago. There is however an analog revival. I saw a USB turntable in Fry's the other day. Amazing.

Is there anyone here that prefers NOT than modern technology. Perhaps an incandescent flashlight over LED ones.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Many things NOT are often held in high esteem...deemed more sophisticated....especially amongst the few with limitless resources. Old art....maybe a Picasso, old cars, horse racing?, the fox hunt, over under shotguns, tube amplifiers, fly fishing, ivory from endangered species, the list goes on. Old school is good, rare is better, unobtanium is to die for. If you can't have it and I can it makes it even better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back