Why are audiophiles such an addiction?
May 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 97
I think one of the major things about this hobby that addicts and attracts so many is the difference in all of our hearing. Each one of us hears something a little bit differently and as a result can lead to us having vastly different opinions about particular headphones *I'm looking at you AKG K701*. This is something that in other hobbies is present but to a different degree or level. If your hobby is performance computing or overclocking or something like that there is not a personal interpretation to it. There are defined performance level's that regardless of your individual traits you can't argue with. Yes the same could be said about headphones however there is a much greater subjective aspect to our hobby.

May 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 97
Music is life...Audiophile headphones is full of life...
My Grado SR60 is audiophile...My AKG K701 is more audiophile...
SR60 excels rock...K701 excels classical & instrumental & soundstage...
I'm very satisfied with 2 excellent audiophile headphones...
I'm an audiophile now...Music is part of my life.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Headphone addiction is better than gambling/cigarrette/wine/XBOX/PS3 addiction.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 97
Because why shouldn't it be an addiction? Music is a gift from God to human and you owe your parents a good pair of ears so show some respects by buying new equipments :p

I have pretty many addictions and I always try to hook into new things and not quit the old ones. Until I got burnt.

May 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 97

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why audiophiles are such an addiction?

I get it, there is a lot of cool looking headphones, and even retro looking ones...ones with sound that blow one away, and ones with sound that eats at one's soul.

But really, when you have the best, then it can only take you so far...But there really isn't such thing as "the best." I believe the best way to define the best is what usually sounds good to you...what you use the most and love to use for listening all the time...the to go to headphones at all times...I mean from there, to get the full experience one should go to a live performance or a studio performance eh? Face to face with the real thing!

So tell me, why are audiophiles such an addiction? Can't you guys with like 10 pairs be happy with one pair that balances out everything you want? I know that there are headphones that compliment others, but come on now!

normal_smile .gif

I believe that the main reason for addiction to audiophilia is because it is great fun.
audiophiles like a good sound and looking for perfection (each decides for himself when he/her gets to sound heaven).     but the main idea is not to necesseraly have the "Best" in general but what is best for you,it just takes some time (and a lot of money) experimenting until one finds his optimal sound/rig.

but the point i am trying to say is that even after you find your "perfect" system you still keep enjoying the sound and listening to music,movies whatever.  finding the right gear doesn't mean that we have to stop this hobby,the contrary...it only means that we eat the fruits that we grew so paitiently.

May 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 97
I just buy headphones to get girls and street cred. I am not addicted at all.

May 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #25 of 97
indeed, i just discovered that you can live on half of one kidney, provided you drink tons of water - orpheus, here I come! 

Quote:
You need them like before HeadFi you thought you needed two kidneys...

May 24, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 97
My friends make fun of me because I'm trying to build a personal museum for headphones, but I really do like how different headphones bring out different aspects of the same song.  I'm particularly happy if my latest purchase makes the same music I have loved feel shiny and new.  Then I sit there like a gleeful child with a huge ear to ear grin.

Every new component adds something and every new headphone adds something.  I have a lot of other hobbies and though none have actually ever turned me a profit short of computers, this addiction to audio equipment is improving me.  I am learning so much more about electronics and taking a greater appreciation for music.  When you work hard all day just to live, you need something to live for.

And music is something that's always important.  It can be the star of the show or it can be play a great support role.

There also is something nice about the fact that when you have a pair of cans on, people know not to harass you since you're in your own world.

May 24, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #28 of 97
obsessive-compulsive......plus this damn website.....I was happy with my HD600's I bought ten years ago before I was a freakin "audiophile"- now 10 headphones and $2000 later I really don't think I am  any happier - just more stressed out that I have the best I can afford

May 24, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #30 of 97
I'm addicted to music. Headphones and equipment just come with the territory. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back