Why all HDMI cables are the same... from cnet news
Apr 27, 2011 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

upstateguy

Headphoneus Supremus
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1.html?tag=nl.e702

From the article:  (it does, however, mention that it's possible that PCM data could be influenced by the different amounts of jitter inherent in all different cables.) 

Why all HDMI cables are the same

There's lots of money in cables. Your money.

Dozens of reputable and disreputable companies market HDMI cables, and many outright lie to consumers about the "advantages" of their product.

Worse, the profit potential of cables is so great, every retailer pushes high-end HDMI cables in the hopes of duping the buyer into spending tens, if not hundreds, of dollars more than necessary.

Here's the deal: expensive HDMI cables offer no difference in picture quality over cheap HDMI cables.

<snip>

So when the salesman tries to up-sell you on $300 HDMI cables that are the "only way to make your new 240 Hz TV work," politely tell him he is incorrect and to move on with the sale.

Or let me put it another way, if you're paying more than $5 for a two-meter HDMI cable, you're overpaying.

​

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 25
I somewhat have to disagree. A price of a cable is determined with labor, and material cost. Some people like to charge $60 an hour, while others will charge $.30 an hour for a cable. Last time i checked most things nowadays are not made in the U.S. I do understand that the people who charge $600+ for a cable are very unreal, and promise things that are almost impossible. People like me that are sick of there crappy "brand-name" products breaking, will understand to have a reputation and a company that will stand behind there product is quite hard to find nowadays. With that said i think its not hard to say that me as well as several others will pay a bit extra for a nice quality cable, which does what it should do, and will have a good ma and pa customer service that will help you out.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 25
Eh, labor costs may differ, but the end result is the same.

I (finally) bought a new TV earlier this year after not having one for 11 years. I shopped HDMI cables locally, but nothing was less than $30. So I bought some purple ones (they were on special) from Monoprice for something like $1.67 each. They work great and I see no signal degradation.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 25
Knowing people that have bought into the whole monster cable being worth it. I see or hear no difference between there $100 cable vs my $2 cable from amazon.

The only differences that could be found would stem more from the placebo effect than actual observations. Since I spent 50x the price is going to sound better. Its a digital signal its ether going to work or its not.

Sure spending extra will get you extra quality but as with everything its a curve of diminishing return, which peaks at about $20.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 25
The only time you'd ever need more expensive cables is either if you have a really long (10 meters or more) cable, or if you're gonna be sending 4K over the cable, which won't be happening any time soon.  If you can see the picture and it isn't obviously distorted/messed up, the quality isn't gonna get any better by replacing the cable.  Spending any more than $20 for a 2-4 meter cable is absolutely a ripoff.  Even $20 is pushing it, but you really can't find them any cheaper anywhere but online.  (though a local dollar store where I live sells them. :p)

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 25
I thought I could see the difference............must be placebo

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551308/1650-99-hdmi-cable-review

lol, i dont know if i should believe that
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 25
With digital signal, it's either on or off. There is no 0.8 or 0.2; just 0 or 1. Sure, there maybe difference in quality, but not in the form of subtlety like better color or contrast. Yes, I shop at Monoprice, and very happy with their cables at $2.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 25
I did buy a cheep HDMI which fell apart once

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 25
More evidence that HDMI cables are the same, when they work. Some stop working at different lengths from others, but the minimum lengths are way longer than you would need for most domestic applications.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/533703/hdmi-cables-either-work-or-they-do-not-work-otherwise-they-are-all-the-same

May 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 25
The article is wrong. I replaced my cheap $10.00 HDMI cable with a $300.00 Parabrum Exoticom MKIV and went back and watched some of my old DVDs and suddenly all my favorite actresses were naked in some scenes in which they hadn't been naked before. I'm never going back to cheap cables.

May 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 25
Does it come with a pair of x-ray glasses?

Quote:
The article is wrong. I replaced my cheap $10.00 HDMI cable with a $300.00 Parabrum Exoticom MKIV and went back and watched some of my old DVDs and suddenly all my favorite actresses were naked in some scenes in which they hadn't been naked before. I'm never going back to cheap cables.

May 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:

I did the same and turned on the TV. Martha Stewart was on.  Now I wish I hadn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back