Whoa! What in the world happened to lala.com?
Jun 11, 2007 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Lala.com just went from a cd trading website to a one-stop-shop fill your ipod and listen to uploaded music from anywhere superstore. I wasn't terribly familiar with the old lala, but this new one seems promising. Any opinions?

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I just signed up to check it out - A little warning *when you download the player it will start uploading you're music library information to the LaLa servers which could take a long time if you have a large library or a slow internet connection. Whatever songs you have that aren't already on the servers get uploaded to their servers.*

It seems like a convenient service, plus it's free. It basically just allows you to listen to whatever music you have stored on you're computer from anywhere you can log on to the site. I guess it would be really helpful if you travel a lot or if you work in an office where you can listen to music.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know what to make of the new focus, but if it works out it could be interesting. Thankfully, at least for now all the old trading functions have not changed, they're just not on the top tap of the page.

I wonder if they are really storing individual copies of everyone's duplicate songs?

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 7
How are the limits ?(some of us have.....truly huge music collections)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it uploading the song, or just the metadata? I don't want my songs uploaded, but a list of what I've got wouldn't be so bad.

I'm not exactly sure, I think the player uploads the metadata for all the songs in your library that they have on their servers and whatever they don't have gets uploaded from you're computer. When I signed up it showed that I had 1,800 songs and it took about 45 minutes to upload the first part which I think was the metadata. Then, it sort of restarted from about song #700 and started going slow as if it were actually uploading the songs. At that point I decided to go to bed and leave my computer on overnight because I knew it would take a long time.

I think you do have the ability to stop it from doing so or at least choose from where it finds the files. You might not have all your library available online then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the limits ?(some of us have.....truly huge music collections)
smily_headphones1.gif

The LaLa.com site says you can upload up to 5,000 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back