Who would you say is the "Pink Floyd" of today?
May 4, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #76 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd is not my favorite band, but I will go on record and say they are the best group of musicians to ever play as a band ever.

I would opine that as a group, Dream Theater has better musicians than Pink Floyd. You can't beat 3 of the 4 members being trained classically at Juillard.

As a group, I enjoy them equally, but for different reasons.

May 4, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #77 of 141
That "best group of musicians ever to play as a band ever" line is completely and utterly ridiculous and I imagine even Waters and Gilmour themselves would laugh it out of the room.

May 4, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #80 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. Um, the point of this thread is discuss bands of today that are similar.

In my opinion, this is exactly the direction that a thread such as this should never take. Looking for bands that sound just like a band that was in its prime three decades ago and declaring them the "modern version" of that band seems very wrong and backwards to me.

I mean, take a band like Collapsar. From a strictly musical standpoint, they're probably the closest thing the contemporary world has to King Crimson. However, the kind of line that this thread is attempting to draw is never just about crafting a direct replica - is it? There's so much more to consider, and the bands who simply duplicate formulas tend to lack those crucial elements.

To be honest, I find it a tad disheartening (though highly predictable) that the majority of votes have gone to Radiohead and Tool. I've always looked at the former as a horrendously vapid band, and the latter somewhat underdeveloped and meandering. Also, neither are exactly prolific.

The Opeth recommendations? Come on... they're a good band, but they keep fooling themselves and their audience with every album that they release. They alienate metal fans while making the prog rockers say, "Damn those growls... this album could have been perfect!" So, write the progressive rock album you've obviously always wanted to write, Mikael. You stopped playing metal a long time ago.

Anyway... after reading all the comments in this thread thus far, I still stand by my original suggestion of Neurosis. Everything including the transformation of the band from birth to present, the incredibly consistent track record over the last ~20 years, the commendable stability, the sweeping atmospheres and dark intensity of the music (even if the music itself is vastly dissimilar), the impact of the songcraft on display, the absolutely soul-crushing live shows, or just the simultaneously triumphant and melancholy soundscapes that are woven around your ears... that "listen and be swept away" feeling is undeniable.

It's a silly comparison one way or the other, but to these ears, the mood fits.

May 4, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #81 of 141
TOOL???!???! I'm a fan of the band myself but they haven't reached that level of greatness PF have achieved - not to mention that stylistically they are miles apart. I would put Tool closer to King Crimson as others have said - and it could be why KC toured with them a few years ago.

PF had a very original sound and the only band that has ever reminded me of them was Radiohead. I wouldn't say I'm a HUGE fan, they're not one of my favorite bands (neither is Floyd actually) but their albums, most notably OK Computer have this airy, ethereal, atmospheric yet natural quality that just reminds me of PF, even though they're not stylistically too similar (PF's music being more grounded in blues and RH's in electronica).

But Tool? Lol. Tool fans need some grounding, methinks.
Next comparison: Which is better for humanity, Tool or World Peace?
k1000smile.gif

May 4, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #82 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That "best group of musicians ever to play as a band ever" line is completely and utterly ridiculous and I imagine even Waters and Gilmour themselves would laugh it out of the room.

I agree. Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, Rush, those PF contemporaries could play circles around Pink Floyd. And I'm not talking about individually - any of these bands could easily be contenders for "best group of musicians..."

What was PF's saving grace? They wrote excellent songs and had a great guitar soloist in Gilmore. In fact, they outdid those other bands I mentioned (which I love far more than PF) in that they wrote very interesting music which was ALSO extremely catchy and very accessible - something those other bands couldn't do too consistently.

They wrote great songs too but they didn't have the general appeal Pink Floyd's songs had (well Yes and Genesis did later in their careers but then they arguably lost their greatness
biggrin.gif
).

Still, you don't need to be virtuosos to write good music. Originality and good song writing goes a long way - U2 has proven that.

May 4, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #83 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They wrote excellent songs and had a great guitar soloist in Gilmore. In fact, they outdid those other bands I mentioned (which I love far more than PF) in that they wrote very interesting music which was ALSO extremely catchy and very accessible - something those other bands couldn't do too consistently.

They wrote great songs too but they didn't have the general appeal Pink Floyd's songs had (well Yes and Genesis did later in their careers but then they arguably lost their greatness
biggrin.gif
)..

well put. Rolling Stones comes to mind here too..where PF seems to have outdone different album concepts and creative sets more accessible and downright interesting than the technically superior Rolling Stones, or some other better sound in rock n roll.

I think the Beatles were able to accomplish both the technical merits over the years, utilizing an array of instruments, and have succeeded at creating memorable album concepts far away that of even Led Z. Not taking anything from LZ, they are better for my hears than any mentioned here for sheer superiority in rock music, however, it is not always with these kings that we relate and listen to as much..it is the Pink Floyds, Steve Miller Bands and Beatles that have the more memorable masterpieces..bearing more cohesion and creative intuition to the layout, etc.

May 4, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #84 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since your previous statements have done wonders for your objective credibility, you really have no leg to stand on, considering you offered nobody who is better.

Computerpro3 and Relayer71: Never did I say PF were virtuosos, which by the way, are mostly people who noodle around and play frantic heartless wankerfests (i.e. Dream Theater even though I am still a fan). I still believe that PF functioned, for the relatively brief time that they really hit their stride, as a band from lyrics to actual music, better than any band ever, IMO.

May 5, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #86 of 141
Timbaland. BY FAR. I'm not much a fan of him (his last album is the only one I own, and it's not really owned, it was DL'd off iTunes), but damn, his last album is badass.

Many other producers are saying that album is as prolific/revolutionary as Pink Floyd's "The Wall"...he breaks and crosses so many boundries and any anybody that's into producing music or listening to tracks...would agree.

May 5, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #87 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your previous statements have done wonders for your objective credibility, you really have no leg to stand on, considering you offered nobody who is better.

Computerpro3 and Relayer71: Never did I say PF were virtuosos, which by the way, are mostly people who noodle around and play frantic heartless wankerfests (i.e. Dream Theater even though I am still a fan). I still believe that PF functioned, for the relatively brief time that they really hit their stride, as a band from lyrics to actual music, better than any band ever, IMO.

Would you like to see my CV?

May 5, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #88 of 141
PF was a psycho designed band whos early fans were trippers. When DSoTM came out, the potheads fell in love (headphone hippy anthem) and the band caught commercial attention. I think the sound caught a bit of a jazz feel with Shine On. The Wall put the group to it's highest exposure with it's criticisms on society & classic guitarwork. Another Brick 2 replaced "school's out" for the rebellious youth. Once groups saw what Roger got away with, anger driven music flourished.

PF caught the right sound (often invented instruments) for a drug era, connected with the mood of the youth, gave legendary sensory shows and well built CDs that were meant to be listened to in one setting. Commercial bands today have a different market, environment and demands for what is musical product. Long songs won't let the advertiser money come in. Keep it to 3 min. I don't think PFs old business plan would be successful today. How popular are they now?

Its a different world today. The typical listener is way too uptight to begin to appreciate what that type of music provides. Only thoses who can disconnect (trance state) from multi-tasking long enough to get PFs full impact. Perhaps that's why PF doesn't have the same impact on younger head-fiers.

May 5, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #89 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-TOOL???!???! I'm a fan of the band myself but they haven't reached that level of greatness PF have achieved

But Tool? Lol. Tool fans need some grounding, methinks.
Next comparison: Which is better for humanity, Tool or World Peace?
k1000smile.gif

I think youre the one that needs some grounding, Danny Carey is arguably the most godly drummer to ever walk this earth.
wink.gif
.. Maynard himself has been guest / main vocalist for more top echelon bands you couldnt count them on both hands.. all with virtually no self promotion. Im exaggerating a bit but you get the idea.

After listening to only the first track of Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, I'd say they sound like a less powerful version of Tool..
first impression only, lol, dont take offense. The second track isnt at all like the first.

PT is really good though, I like them a lot thanks for the tip.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #90 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think youre the one that needs some grounding, Danny Carey is arguably the most godly drummer to ever walk this earth.
wink.gif
.. Maynard himself has been guest / main vocalist for more top echelon bands you couldnt count them on both hands.. all with virtually no self promotion

Tool's fanbase is infamous for being rather over-zealous. They are a good band, but they're hardly the pinnacle of artistic and spiritual expression that their fans make them out to be. If I recall certain interviews correctly, the very notion amuses Maynard to no end.

Either way, I would whole-heartedly agree with the notion that Tool fans, generally speaking, could use some grounding.

As for Danny Carey - he is an undeniably great drummer, but he owes a lot to (and borrows a lot from) Meshuggah's Tomas Haake and Neurosis's Jason Roeder... and regarding Maynard, I fail to see how his participation in side projects has anything to do with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back