Who streams their music collection?
Dec 15, 2007 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone here streams their music collection over the WWW? I used to have this little program that would do just that and it allows me to have my 100's of gigs of music anywhere I have a internet connection. But this was 8 years ago before portable MP3 became affordable and mainstream.

Anyone do anything similar to that anymore?

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 15
I tried to, but most of my music is in lossless, and unfortunately even the good DSL in these parts is limited to 500kbps upstream, which means it isn't fast enough to stream lossless. (You'd need about three times that bandwidth.)

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 15
Slimserver should work... thrown in some kind of dynamic DNS and I think you'd be able to just type in the web address and take it from there..

having said that.. I think google or someone else here would be better qualified to explain it all.. I'm aware it can be done, but the specifics elude me.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Orb will do it, although I am not sure that it works with lossless. It will also stream photos and video (including television if your computer has a tuner).

I should also add that a PSP will connect to a PS3 and stream any files that your network is sharing with the PS3 via Remote Play. You can actually use Tversity to transcode the files on the fly, so you can use a lot of different formats for music and video. I am not sure that the PSP is the best audio player even when streaming wav files.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 15
I just set up a VPN and accessed my music files directly over the VPN. A VPN is nice to have anyway so you can get at all sorts of files on your home computer when you're away from home, not just music. Hamachi is pretty easy to set up, but I use OpenVPN.

Slimserver would be better if it's just for music though.

Still, before spending time messing with things, run a simple speed test to make sure you have the consistent upstream bandwidth to stream the files you want.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 15
Sadly I am not able to.
Cause my upstream connection are not fast enough to allow streaming of lossless encoded audio. Or else...

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 15
I have plenty of speed wherever I tend to be so that's not a problem. I also used to VPN it but it's less than ideal. Slimserver is an option but I'd rather avoid shelling out another not insignificant chunk of change on even more hardware.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 15
Pepsione1, same time frame for me. Used to use mp3.com (remember validate you have CD in drive, files would instantly appear in your 'folder' - before the lawsuits). DAPs, and just as importantly laptops, made that all less necessary. Now if I stream it's at home over Slimserver or away using stations on Pandora or Sirius. That way I get to hear new music occasionally. Good mixup of sources of music.

I did see just yesterday a posting on using your Gmail account to store and playback music. Plus the forthcoming Slacker player is interesting.

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 15
I use Edna for that. Turnkey streaming server, just point it at a directory full of media. Runs anywhere that has python.

Oh, and i DO have enough upstream bandwidth to stream lossless. I actually have enough bandwidth to stream 720p video, turns out. But i have a 100gb-per-floating-30-day-period quota to stay under.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 15
if you have dynamic ip at home, use dyndns.org to set up a static domain name that will get updated to your home ip...

With that set up I simply use apache for windows and access my music & data from anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back