Who remembers the Sennheiser PX100?
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #16 of 37
That sounds interesting. Yeah, this category is like a portable, good-sounding headphone, for under $80. The Koss KPH30i can be had for much less than that. I like the design and the size. (Don't know how it sounds though). Looking on Amazon at the Koss KPH30i, it seems that the plastic headband, may be a weakpoint. Hopefully Koss is not cheaping out on consumers, because I have seen complaints about Porta Pros, where the newer models were not as solid as the older ones.
i have those koss phones also,headband appears ok to me,tried the yaxi foanpad mod but nearly broke the phones.decided to leave well alone

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 37
Thanks for chiming in! I actually am going to try out the Koss KPH30i, which apparently has related drivers (if not the same?) to the KSC PortaPro series.
It was $30 so if it brings back memories of the PX100 then it's done its job :)

I'll update on my impressions soon!

Hey! I haven't opened Head-Fi in years haha. I hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I just happened to have the KPH30i (borrowed from a friend), as well as a Sennheiser PX 80 (supposedly the OG PX 100 but with a different name) and the PX 100-II. The KPH30i sounds quite different from the other two.

The PX models have a more organic sound to 'em, with the 100-IIs being the darker of the two. In terms of the PX 80 vs the KPH30i, I honestly prefer the PX 80. Clarity goes to the KPH30i, but the PX 80 is just more fun to listen to. The PX 80s are also less fatiguing compared to the Koss which can get bright.

I can only hope that the PX 80s last me years. An absolute keeper.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #19 of 37
Hey! I haven't opened Head-Fi in years haha. I hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I just happened to have the KPH30i (borrowed from a friend), as well as a Sennheiser PX 80 (supposedly the OG PX 100 but with a different name) and the PX 100-II. The KPH30i sounds quite different from the other two.

The PX models have a more organic sound to 'em, with the 100-IIs being the darker of the two. In terms of the PX 80 vs the KPH30i, I honestly prefer the PX 80. Clarity goes to the KPH30i, but the PX 80 is just more fun to listen to. The PX 80s are also less fatiguing compared to the Koss which can get bright.

I can only hope that the PX 80s last me years. An absolute keeper.
hello have used the px100 since they were invented,also have the mark 2 model . i think they are excellent,would never sell them . look after them like they are gold dust. have lots of earbuds but always come back to my sennheisers.

May 24, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #20 of 37
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I am very careful with mine too, keep it in a plastic container, (with desiccant, to prevent the pads and foam headpads, from deteriorating). If those yaxi pads can improve the comfort, I am all for it. (The PX-100 were comfortable right out of the box for me).
Hi, they are very comfortable with yaxi pads
image.jpg

May 25, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 37
Funny, I just threw away my last pair of these today. They were in my gym bag and too much exposure to dampness (read sweat) caused them to just look awful. Could not put them on my head as it was gross.

I had two other pairs that deteriorated beforehand.

In their day, I just loved these. Similar sound profile to some of my Sony's; rolled off but pleasant treble. Some bass but not overpowering. Polite and lovable.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #23 of 37
Funny, I just threw away my last pair of these today. They were in my gym bag and too much exposure to dampness (read sweat) caused them to just look awful. Could not put them on my head as it was gross.

I had two other pairs that deteriorated beforehand.

In their day, I just loved these. Similar sound profile to some of my Sony's; rolled off but pleasant treble. Some bass but not overpowering. Polite and lovable.

Interesting, I was debating whether I should exercise with mine. Like jogging around the neighborhood or something. But after reading some threads about the Koss Porta-Pro, some people were claiming that their headphones would suffer from a shorter lifespan. Deterioration, or sweat getting into the drivers, etc.

I'm gonna keep mine for indoor use, walking, or commuting purposes only. These headphones are old, about 20 years old, and they are still working. Furthermore, it's not like they are one of those old-school, robust headphones, like the Denon D5000, or something. Don't want to ruin a good thing, and mess them up. I wager it would be difficult to find a New Old Stock pair, or some good used ones, for sale somewhere.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #25 of 37
I think if own them you should use them.

If you are really into exercise its hard to beat true wireless such as the Apple Airpod Pro.

Right, I use my PX-100's. At home mostly, what can I say. They are great headphones, and I enjoy them. They have a useful application, for my listening.

Actually, I don't listen to music, when exercising. It was a curiosity, maybe jogging outside, for around one mile. Would've done that maybe a couple times, who knows. The PX-100 could be used for such a task, although like you said, there are much more effective options, for listening while exercising.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #26 of 37
somewhat disappointed - they sounded much darker and bass heavy compared to the orgiinal model. But I used a pair of those until they broke and I finally switched to wireless bluetooth

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I just happened to stumble upon oratory1990's recent measurement of the PX 100-IIs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omxy5zzko3cdcs6/Sennheiser PX 100-II.pdf?dl=0

which seems to verify for me that these had a prominent mid-bass boost and a very under emphasized treble. If you still have an original PX-100 pair then take very good care of them since they were a once in a lifetime light portable on ear find. :)

cheers,

--tom

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 37
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I just happened to stumble upon oratory1990's recent measurement of the PX 100-IIs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omxy5zzko3cdcs6/Sennheiser PX 100-II.pdf?dl=0

which seems to verify for me that these had a prominent mid-bass boost and a very under emphasized treble. If you still have an original PX-100 pair then take very good care of them since they were a once in a lifetime light portable on ear find. :)

cheers,

--tom
Hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting this thread as well. These gems are mad underappreciated. I hope Sennheiser brings them back. I'm now enjoying their HD58X on a more regular basis but I still go back to the darkness of these portables for when I crave that fun boost.

May 5, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #29 of 37
Listening to Jaylib on my old pair of these right now 😎. Also fell in love with them probably fifteen years ago now, as commuting headphones. They bleed sound like crazy but sound so good for such light and comfortable headphones. I've replaced the pads a couple of times and the headband foam is in pretty bad shape, but they still work great. I soldered a new plug on a long time ago after the original wore out, and it's probably time for another one soon.

I also just remembered I have a white pair of them somewhere that's much more lightly used.

I appreciate this thread! These headphones were probably the only reason I started to care at all about MP3 bitrates and decent sounding speakers/headphones.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #30 of 37
hello have used the px100 since they were invented,also have the mark 2 model . i think they are excellent,would never sell them . look after them like they are gold dust. have lots of earbuds but always come back to my sennheisers.

Hey, well the cheap pads, that I replaced on my PX100's, crumbled away, when I attempted to use them, earlier this week. Went on Amazon, and was looking for some new pads. There were many obscure, "off-brand", foam pads, on Amazon. I did find the Yaxi pads, which were $12, in all kinds of cool colors. (Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Black, etc). However, $12 was a bit much, for just one pair of replacement pads, (to me at least). Also, I read that the colors fade quickly, on the colored Yaxi pads, and they develop a dull, yellow-gray tinge. Hence, I would've bought black, (kinda boring, and took some of the appeal away from me).

Did some research, and it turns out, that the OEM Koss Porta Pro pads, have a good fit, for the Sennheiser PX-100. I found the listing on Amazon, and it was only $5, for a pack of 6. (Are the Yaxi pads worth it? $12 for one pair of Yaxi's, or $5 for 6 Koss pads). The Koss pads arrived a couple days ago. Great fit. They are also more plush, than the Sennheiser OEM pads. I do not hear any difference in sound. They are slightly more comfortable though.

Koss Porta Pro OEM pads

I think the Koss pads, are a great option, for the Sennheiser PX-100, when looking for pad replacements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back