Who Makes The Best Solid State Amps
Oct 27, 2003 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
The thread regarding Hafler amps made me think that a poll was in order. Who in your opinion makes the best solid state amps? In order to vote for a manufacter you should be able to explain your reasoning and have had heard an amp from that brand. Please feel free to add companies that I overlook.

P.S. Yes I know that there are some wide price variations here, but performance/cost ratios may outweigh shear perfection for some individuals.

Oct 27, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 21
I have casted my vote in favor of bryston because of their excellant build quality, reliability, and drive. Plus the 20 year warranty is an extra special bonus
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 21
there are some brands in there I don't care much, even for their TOTL, like NAD or Rotel. Some missing too, like Pass Labs, Sphynx, Spectral.

But I've not heard enough amps on different speakers (is it a fair game to hear spectral on Avalon Ascendant or Sphynx on Dynaudio Evidence Master and then compare to lower end stuff ?) First reason to not vote. Second is I prefer tube amps

Oct 27, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 21
You didn't have my first choice listed: Creek. The Creek 5350SE is a beautiful sounding integrated, simple and elegant.

Second choice would be NAD. They may not be in the same class as the others listed, but their BEE products come dangerously close to the best solid state out there for about 1/4 the price.

--Chris

Oct 27, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 21
I voted Krell.

However, for a price / performance ratio, I believe that Rotel are the best. My £250 Rotel amp sounded better than a £500 NAD amp to my ears (and I was prepared to spend the extra on the NAD).

Oct 27, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 21
As I stated above, I knew that I had left a few out. Classe` and Creek are definitely good additions. I also forgot to mention McCormack, Jeff Rowland, SimAudio, Naim, Musical Fidelity, and perhaps the ridiculously overpriced Boulder.

Oct 27, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 21
Musical Fidelity, bar none.

Oct 28, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 21
I do like MF amplifers also, particuraly their integrates.

Oct 28, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

It's impossible to vote here. Like asking who makes the best headphones?

The poll is for personal preference.

Oct 28, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 21
This is like asking what my favorite food is--depends on my mood.

The Pass Labs Aleph amplifiers would probably go at number one but not without some fierce competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back