Who LIKES there HD600s?
Oct 8, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 24
Czilla9000,

There are lots of people who want to talk trash about the HD600 for the simple fact that is the obvious 600 pound gorilla sitting on the front porch. In case you haven't noticed, there are just a few people lurking around here who are, ahem, ever so slightly equipment manic.
smily_headphones1.gif
They derive personal validation by spending obscene amounts of money on the latest/different/expensive thing. That's cool, I always enjoy hearing about the latest exploits of equipment junkies. Some of these individuals, however, feel that impuning widely accepted favorites somehow makes them superior counter-culture avant-garde elitists. Comments by these individuals are typically characterized by one liners that show little careful consideration. I would suggest you discount comments by these individuals.

There are, of course, perfectly reasonable people as well, who have valid sonic preferences that lean away from the HD600. They are usually easily identified by their specific detailed criticisms.

So anyway, I think my HD600s are great. I truly enjoy spending hours "plugged in". They are NOT however, a headphone that will meet every need. They are fairly bulky, they have an "open" design that emits audible sound into the room, and they require a fair bit of power to sound their best. If you don't have or plan to get a headphone amp, you may wish to look elsewhere. I also have a pair of KSC35's that sound amazingly good, (for how little they cost), that I use when I need portablity. There are, of course, also the etymotics. I have tried them and the sound is fantastic. The isolation and sonic imaging can not be beat, (at least in my experience). Unfortunately, I found them to be very uncomfortable in my ears and I could not imagine yanking them out of my head numerous times a day, ( I listen mostly at work and often have to remove my headphones ). In your ears, however, they might be much more comfortable.

In the end, there is no substitute for simply trying a large number of headphones. Slip them on your head, forget about how much they cost, or their reputation and just LISTEN and FEEL. Then ask yourself if these those phones will give you the optimal listening experience you are looking for.

-Z

Oct 9, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #17 of 24
I researched headphones online here and on other headphone sites. I also auditioned several model/brands of Sennheiser, Grado because they were the only ones I could locate in my area.

I decided on the HD-600s and have never regretted my decision. I use them stock, except for reversing the left/right connections because my Fisher 400, my favorite amplifier for listening to the HD-600s, has a reversed output at the headphone jack.

I agree that they need good amplification to sound their best, however, I find that that are quite acceptable sounding even when connected to the headphone jack of my CD source or Cassette deck (when taping).

With a good source, analog for me thanks, and amp the bass reproduction of the HD-600 is deeper and tighter than any other headphone I have used. They are very comfortable for extended wearing too. I wish they offered a bit more isolation from outside noise, but I am glad I picked these headphones.

Oct 9, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #19 of 24
If I could keep only one of my headphones, it would be my HD-600. With my latest amp (Cosmic Reference w/ Base Station One) I feel as though I'm finally realizing their true potential. They wrap me in a nice warm cocoon of lush sound.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 24
I'm liking them so far, although they're "unburned" really at this time.

Even if I don't like them, I can take the earpads off and use them as novelty serving tongs.
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=xx-small](let's face it, they already have the 'wannabe classy kitchen appliance' finish)[/size]

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 24
... I LOVE them! i sleep with them everynight. slightly worried about bending in the metal grills, but the soundis just so awesome.

about being boring... i don't think so at ALL. i listen to some awesome classical music and it is amazing how when you hear an instrument such as a snare drum in a song such as Sony Telarc's Experience the Music - Olympic Fanfare, how you can place the snare just to the left and behind the trumpets. maybe because I am a trumpet player in an orchestra, I can hear such depth to the music. i do not regret buying them in any way, shape, or form. esp the $225 price tag i had for brand new cans at a local autorized dealer. even went back and got my dad a pair for x-mas, a little early but I could not resist.

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 24
i absolutely adore my hd 600s - so much so that im thinking of getting 2 more - one for my desktop at home and another for my desktop in the office - unfortunately the cost of such an exercise bars me - so instead ive got a grado sr 60 on my home desktop and some real cheapie sony in ear which i hook to my pc for the office.
im using the hd600s in my main system which comprises of a cal delta transport >> monarchy dip >> msb link >> x-10d >>x-cans >>hd 600. this really blows away the spendor s3/5s that i have which is hooked up to a pair of asl 300b monoblocks and a homebrew 6sn7 preamp.
btw - has anyone got a recommendation for a low cost in ear piece that i can connect to my pc ?? i think i can do a lot better than the sony freebie that im using now but i havent the foggiest as to what
happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
With so much negative talk about being boring, who here actually likes them.

I doubt you'll find many who don't "like" their HD600s. Even when we knock them it's usually only in comparison to other models well beyond their cost. At their street price of $220 or so, I think they're among the best bargains available. I rarely use mine anymore, but I don't foresee getting rid of them any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back