White Van Speakers at a thrift shop
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sambones

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of speakers from a thrift shop for $2, and judging by the frequency graph, I wasn't expecting much. Not at all linear in the bass, but I figured that my room would probably mess with the sound more than that. However, when I got around to actually checking to see what they were, lo and behold, they're White Van speakers. I guess I got them for what they're worth, eh?

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 15
I've read the wikipedia entry on "White van speaker scam", wow, i didn't think those kind of scams existed, at least they're not popular in my country.

What brand are yours "Kirsch" , or "DiVinci" ? :D 

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 15
How about Bjorn and Wielder? 
dt880smile.png
 Maybe Volk or Audio Resource? Paradyme?

These guys are pretty creative in their naming.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 15
few years ago I was in a car accident with the white van scammers, actually i was coming back from picking up a headphone amp and the white trailblazer hit me in the back. the two kids were pretty cool and we talked while we were in the police station, all in all it was a fun experience picking up the money (for the damage to my vehicle) at their headquarters. out of everyone on the road the two people who crash into each other are an Audiophile and those guys..jeezz

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 15
Just look at this website, even from the online photos it's evident it's utter crap, i wonder how can people agree to spend hundreds of dollars for these...it's funny that the real DaVinci Audio is one of the most exclusive and luxurious brands in the industry.

http://www.divincisound.com/tower2.htm

Their top tower speakers adopt "Dippemid-Range Cones" , really impressive stuff :D

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 15
I especially love that they proclaim that they have innovative sound AND bass.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 15

HAHAHA
Quote:
I especially love that they proclaim that they have innovative sound AND bass.

But, yeah, they're "Acoustic Monitor Db IV"'s. They weren't listed on the Wiki page, but some quick googling told me what they were. There's also a "pair" of Technics 3-ways there, a 2565 and a 2665, but those were $20 as opposed to $2, and Google has also informed me that those aren't anything either.

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Don't sell them. Take them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army and donate them. Find out the MSRP the scammers say they're worth and claim that number on your donation form. Attach to your 1040 and enjoy a tax reduction.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 15
As much as I usually agree with your posts Erik, I think that's a bit unethical. Claiming the MSRP from a scam organization is not something I usually like doing.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 15
My brother was scammed by the white van 20+ years ago so it's been going on for a long time. I haven't been approached for several years but last time was fun...a few words to them until they get pissed and drive away.  Years later I opened those scam speakers and the magnet on the woofer was soooo small lol

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I was approached a year or so back while in a bank drive through! They drove up in the lane next to me, rolled down their window and started in on the pitch.  It'd be like me soliciting baby sitters by lurking around the junior high after school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back