While in Japan... visit Akihabara (looking for suggestiions)
Jun 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

labmat

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently in Tskuba, Japan on Business and will be making a day trip to Tokyo with co-workers.  we will be taking a train to akihabara and I'm just looking for suggestions on phones that I should keep my eyes out for.  I'm looking to spend around $300 or 24000 jpy

Anyone have any suggestions?

I like Mids, moderate amount of bass & I like Wood.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 8
"crickets"

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 8
If you are going to Akihabara, I suppose you'll go to the big Yodobashi store? There you can try out different headphones.

Going by your description, my tip is the Audio Technica ESW9. They look very nice:

You could always check them out. I think that you can find them for around 25.000 yen.

There is a really good headphone store in Akihabara. It might be a bit difficult to find, though.

I copy and paste my comment from another thread:
Quote:
I suppose you have found your way to E-earphone in Akihabara? Of course Yodobashi is great, but they have even more headphones in the E-earphone store. http://gigaplus.makeshop.jp/gcom1420/ShopInfo/ShopInfoAkiba.html

I just love that place! They've got used headphones as well that you can get for a lower price. It is difficult to find the first time you go there. If you haven't been there before, exit the Chuo line station towards Electrictown and then cross the big road (Chuo dori). Follow it down away from the station until you pass a tall black building on your left side. Turn left and right into the first parallel street to Chuo dori and the E-earphone shop is opposite to a Sofmap store. The building is called Rock 2 building and E earphone is on the 5th floor.

Anyway, if you have already been there, the description is not necessary. 
tongue_smile.gif

You should check the Audio Technica ES10 out as well, however they are a bit more expensive and do not isolate as well as the HD25. I bought mine at a Yodobashi store in Shinjuku October when I went to Japan. They cost 30.000 yen at Yodobashi. You can try out all three and compare.

Anyway, spend some time in the store comparing different headphones. And remember to get a Japanese brand. European and American brands are more expensive in Japan.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
If you are going to Akihabara, I suppose you'll go to the big Yodobashi store? There you can try out different headphones.

Going by your description, my tip is the Audio Technica ESW9. They look very nice:

Anyway, spend some time in the store comparing different headphones. And remember to get a Japanese brand. European and American brands are more expensive in Japan.

Hey Danneq,

That is a very good suggestion, so good in fact that I bought them a few years ago and actually brought them with me to Tokyo.

I definately want to try and stick with a japanese brand.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Definitely go to the audio floor of Yodobashi Akiba. You will be able to listen to just about every headphone imaginable. I'm sure you will find something to empty your wallet on :wink:

I love Akihabara, and I love going into Yodobashi, but I also love visiting the little shops/booth vendors, especially the guy who sells NOS vacuum tubes :D

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hey Danneq,

That is a very good suggestion, so good in fact that I bought them a few years ago and actually brought them with me to Tokyo.

I definately want to try and stick with a japanese brand.

Haha! Well, that's all I could come up with based on your preferences and budget.

Do try to find your way to E-earphone. They sell used headphones for decent prices.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 8
We ended up going through every floor of Yodobashi Camera, I tried on about 30 different pairs of headphones and ended up picking up a pair of Ultrasone HFI-680s. I was taking "too much time" so my coworkers continued on and checked out the other floors before we met on the top floor to eat some fried pork. I know the phone I picked up are german but all of the other Japanese phones I checked out and liked were way outside my price range. Although if I was give more time at the Dennon section I think I could have convinced myself to splurge.

We walked all around Akihabara and I could not find E-earphone or Dynamic Audio, I assume they both were down some street we completely missed.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 8
We ended up going through every floor of Yodobashi Camera, I tried on about 30 different pairs of headphones and ended up picking up a pair of Ultrasone HFI-680s. I was taking "too much time" so my coworkers continued on and checked out the other floors before we met on the top floor to eat some fried pork. I know the phone I picked up are german but all of the other Japanese phones I checked out and liked were way outside my price range. Although if I was give more time at the Dennon section I think I could have convinced myself to splurge.

We walked all around Akihabara and I could not find E-earphone or Dynamic Audio, I assume they both were down some street we completely missed.

This is an old thread, but for those looking: E-earphones is not easy to find... It's down an alley and up an elevator 5 floors. I think it's a great shop though... As evidenced by it being jammed today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back