which xlr (pre)-amp
Feb 25, 2008 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

19lexicon78

500+ Head-Fier
hi,

i'm looking for an (pre)-amp to connect xlr components; cd,tape,minidisc,TT etc

which ones are recommended, or perhaps someone knows a link to pro-gear website which discusses xlr-amps.

greets,
stan

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

i'm looking for an (pre)-amp to connect xlr components; cd,tape,minidisc,TT etc

which ones are recommended, or perhaps someone knows a link to pro-gear website which discusses xlr-amps.

greets,
stan

Does it need to be fully balanced?

SS or Tube?

Price range?

New or used?

At present I use a Sonic Frontiers Line 3, this is a fully balanced tube phono that was made up until 2003 +/-, used for $2000 +/-.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 13
confused.gif

What sort of turntable has XLR outputs?

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

What sort of turntable has XLR outputs?

VPI does.
But it really doesnt matter which turntable. Its the outputs on the phonostage that go into the preamp. Which there are a ton of them that have balanced outputs.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 13
For balanced gear, the best bets are the DIY designs. The beta 22, the m-3, and the dynamight. You can commission one of the resident builders to make one that meets your needs and get a significantly better amp than anything from a commercial builder, imho.

I had a m3 built with 4 inputs, 4 gain options, and cinemag transformers for impedance matching and balancing unbalanced inputs for significantly less than anything I've seen that comes close on the commercial market. The tradeoff on a build like this is time.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't know anything about studer amps.

As to which is best, that's all personal preference isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif
I know thrice (rockhopperaudio.com) has been known to build balanced amps for hire. sft (google sft audio) has built balanced m3s and dynamights. Justin Wilson (headamp) has a great balanced amp/preamp called the GS-X. I'd bet that jbloudg20 would build you a beta22 or a balanced m3.

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Or you could have one XLR input and have someone build you a XLR line router like shown on the Mapletree web site or like the line router I had built but with RCA by Art Taylor at this web link: page6 which is a very high quality unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back