Which would you choose?
May 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
I agree that the other Sennheiser headphones aren't even remotely as fun.  Personally the most "fun" headphone or at least my personal favorite is the Audeze LCD2.  I would recommend it over the HE500 personally.  But again just my opinion.  
biggrin.gif

Btw, Zashoomin, do you have the 500? I am leaning toward just that - going from 500 to LCD2.  What impress you most besides the bottom end of the LCD's as compared to the 500? Are the midrange also more lush and fuller? From reading the endless posts of LCD2.2's, it seems that these two cans are on par with the exception of superior low end and upper end.  500 < LCD for sub bass, bass and tightness ; LCD < 500 for upper end ; 500 = LCD for midrange; 500 = LCD for soundstage/depth?  Do you agree with these statements?

May 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #17 of 29
What is the purpose of the microphonic cable on the 500s? If there's noise everytime it moves then that sounds like it would ruin ur listening experience?

Iam also getting the impression the majority of people would prefer the 500s over the hd700 but are they that good that you could over look the weight and discomfort? Or maybe comfort wasn't an issue for you personally if you owned the he 500s??

May 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 29
What is the purpose of the microphonic cable on the 500s? If there's noise everytime it moves then that sounds like it would ruin ur listening experience?

Iam also getting the impression the majority of people would prefer the 500s over the hd700 but are they that good that you could over look the weight and discomfort? Or maybe comfort wasn't an issue for you personally if you owned the he 500s??

May 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

It really depends. Do you have a relatively strong neck?

May 24, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 29
It really depends. Do you have a relatively strong neck?

Well i don't know but id say me neck/head is slightly bigger then average so ill assume it's a little stronger ha Iam confused about some comparisons btw, I've read alot of reviews where people think the he 500 is a great headphone for the money, I haven't read one review that said it was over priced yet ive recently come across a guy who did a review and thought the hd 600s were equally as good and they're half the price and ironically there was some who agreed

May 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Btw, Zashoomin, do you have the 500? I am leaning toward just that - going from 500 to LCD2.  What impress you most besides the bottom end of the LCD's as compared to the 500? Are the midrange also more lush and fuller? From reading the endless posts of LCD2.2's, it seems that these two cans are on par with the exception of superior low end and upper end.  500 < LCD for sub bass, bass and tightness ; LCD < 500 for upper end ; 500 = LCD for midrange; 500 = LCD for soundstage/depth?  Do you agree with these statements?

I don't own a pair of HE500s but I have heard them before, and there isn't much difference when you get into that price range but especially the superior bottom end.  I am not a base head but that base was euphoric.  It was very precise and tight with great extension but at the same time never seemed like it was out of control.  Also everything seemed smoother in my opinion also a bit more natural.  The midrange and soundstage I prefer the HE500s a tad but they are pretty much on par with each other.  Overall though I do think the LCD2 have a slightly upper edge on the HE500s.  So yes overall I do agree with what you are saying. 

to get back on topic I thought that the HE500s where a bit heavy but overall very confterable. so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.  

May 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #24 of 29
If you're considering spending that much and don't mind heavy hp's, you should throw the lcd2 bamboo into the mix. 
size]

May 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #25 of 29
Well ive never had a heavy headphone so ive no idea wether i can bare them or not ha Some people dont seem to mind the weight of the he500s all that much and some reviews have even described them as a comfortable headphone , I havent read any reviews on the lcd2 and iam not sure i like the look they have gone with nor can i actually find a price for them online other then on used pairs

May 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 29
Curb weight:

he500=502 grams 

lcd2 bamboo=514 grams

For me, the he400 (440 grams) is about as much weight as I like for a regular use hp. But we are all different. Some people have no problems with the heavier hp's. Most of the flagships will be heavier though. The he-4 weighs considerably less and would compete well with the heavy hitter (pun intended). But only if you could find one as they are out of production and require a beefy amp to reach their potential. Great hp though!!

May 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 29
I am using a HE500 myself and don't really feel it's anywhere near uncomfortable, the weight might be there when you hold it by hand, but once put on your head, the headband actually distribute it quite well and feels like nothing at all just like my senn HD650. one thing though is the clamping pressure and t he stiff pads might get a bit hot (I live in the tropics though)

May 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
Well ive never had a heavy headphone so ive no idea wether i can bare them or not ha Some people dont seem to mind the weight of the he500s all that much and some reviews have even described them as a comfortable headphone , I havent read any reviews on the lcd2 and iam not sure i like the look they have gone with nor can i actually find a price for them online other then on used pairs

If you have a larger-than-avg neck, then you'd quickly get used to the HE500/LCD2 weight of ~500g. But also there is the factor of clamp, so depending on how wide/narrow your head shape is, you would favour one headphone or the other (LCD2 is better for a narrower head because of its thicker pads, vise versa for HFMs). Of course there's also some leeway of clamp adjustment by flexing the headband spring steel cores.

May 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 29
Can someone explain the microphonic cable that comes with the he50 ? I hear it creates alot of noise when the cable moves which seems like it would be a huge problem, I imagine it must be ok if it passed inspection ?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back