Which version of Nessun Dorma?
May 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sgt_Strider

100+ Head-Fier
So I heard this song for the first time and the version that I heard was sung by Paul Potts. I know that Pavarotti sings a pretty nice version as well. Does anyone here have any recommendations on which version I should get? I want to buy a CD in the next couple of days.

May 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 24
Just had a thread about this a couple months ago here.......

Best way to explore is go to youtube.com and search for versions of Nessun Dorma, they have quite a few by the great ones:

-Corelli
-Del Monaco
-Di Stefano
-Bjorling
-Pavarotti

To go further you can then buy song collections for any individual singer that has Nessun Dorma like a cheap used early Pavarotti collection, or go all the way and purchase entire Puccini opera Turandot as CD or DVD

41PGR3HH0QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
412NV58v9%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
51VwVdvrCSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

May 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 24
^ Welcome to 2007.
tongue.gif

Paul Potts or Pavarotti for me.

May 11, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 24
May 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm waiting for the new crop of tenors to get to it. Out with the old and in with the new.

May 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paul Potts just because he is such a likable fellow. Not technically better then Pavarotti but like his voice better
smily_headphones1.gif

however this is the best version of the song I ever heard
YouTube - Britain's Got Talent 2009 Greg Pritchard..NESSUN DORMA.. COMPLETE AUDITION

What in the world was that, absolutely horrid, the worst version of Nessun Dorma ever......even Yoko Ono would sound good by that standard, high notes were like fingernails scraping a chalkboard

I thought it was all a big joke on Simon.......except the punch line was never delivered

May 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Best way to explore is go to youtube.com and search for versions of Nessun Dorma, they have quite a few by the great ones:

-Corelli
-Del Monaco
-Di Stefano
-Bjorling
-Pavarotti

To go further you can then buy song collections for any individual singer that has Nessun Dorma like a cheap used early Pavarotti collection, or go all the way and purchase entire Puccini opera Turandot

41PGR3HH0QL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
412NV58v9%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I haven't heard this version but how could you go wrong with Montserrat Caballe, Sutherland, Krause and Pavarotti? I am impresssed. By the way, I grew up with Pavaroti's version of Nesum Dorma. Even if others may perhaps be better, Pavarotti's version wins with me.

May 12, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

What in the world was that, absolutely horrid, the worst version of Nessun Dorma ever......even Yoko Ono would sound good by that standard, high notes were like fingernails scraping a chalkboard

I thought it was all a big joke on Simon.......except the punch line was never delivered

Of course he is not serious. If you hear what he say after his a tenor really or something
smily_headphones1.gif
. But really impressive he can get it up there.

May 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 24
Knocking Paul Potts' highs seems to be the hip thing to do. You'll see hundreds of comments in his youtube videos about it - and when you (excitedly) wonder why there are so many opera enthusiasts on youtube, you click on these commenters' usernames only to discover they are 15 your old kids who's favorites include music videos from emo band of the month.

The very fact that the man can sustain notes that high is incredible. Anyone expecting Juan Diego Florez should slap themselves in the face, as all of the great names are professionals, and Paul Potts is an amateur. No one would bash late-career Pavarotti nearly as much as Potts, but his highs were shrill and his voice was even known to break in the highest registers.

As for Paul Potts' CD, however... it doesnt sound like opera. He is singing almost quietly, without gusto, close to the mic in what feels like a very small room. On top of that, the recording is DROWNED in reverb. I'm not being a snob here, it is REALLY REALLY horrid the way they thought his voice should be corrected in the mastering phase.

May 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard this version but how could you go wrong with Montserrat Caballe, Sutherland, Krause and Pavarotti? I am impresssed. By the way, I grew up with Pavaroti's version of Nesum Dorma. Even if others may perhaps be better, Pavarotti's version wins with me.

That is probably the most widely recommended CD version of Turandot, features a younger Pavarotti @1980 with an allstar cast and great sound.

May 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knocking Paul Potts' highs seems to be the hip thing to do. You'll see hundreds of comments in his youtube videos about it - and when you (excitedly) wonder why there are so many opera enthusiasts on youtube, you click on these commenters' usernames only to discover they are 15 your old kids who's favorites include music videos from emo band of the month.

BTW I was not complaining about Paul Potts who sounds divine compared to the painful noise generated by Greg Pritchard........check that link out above from UK's got Talent show, Simon says Pritchard sounds like a dog that meows like a cat then gives him a pass
confused_face_2.gif

Sounds to me like a "chipmunk's" version of Nessun Dorma

May 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 24
The difference is Paul Potts was in no way an amateur when he stood there... Sure he didn´t get payed any sums so he could live on it but he got professional training for what was it 20000$ if not more
wink.gif

Prichard is more Paul Potts that way it feels if it´s true he has never been on a stage before (potts of course had) and have no professional training. Which I have no hard time believing from his performance
biggrin.gif

As for youtube comments I never read them. There was a funny sketch about the haters at youtube I need to find it. But it´s a sure way to loose brain cells reading them.

May 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Franco Corelli owned the role of Calaf. He was the real thing, a true operatic, dramatic/spinto tenor with movie star looks, charisma, and a voice of incredible power.

That being said, don't overlook Mario Lanza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back