Which top end headphone's sound is the most realistic and closest to real life sound?
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
My preferred "real" sound is the rich warm sound I get from a good seat at Massey Hall in Toronto, it's a nice ~100 year old concert hall. For that the Grado RS-1 with a tube amp is the closest thing I've heard.

Mhmm, Massey Hall is a spectacular spot. RS-1's + tubes surely do express this type of venue with the right stuff to make me smile.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
The R10, with the right tube amp and tubes.

R10 all the way!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #34 of 92
Let me further ask, then, if every one of the top headphones is exerted to the limit with the best synergy for oneself, which one's sound is the most realistic?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #37 of 92
Best synergy is a matter of opinion not a fact so even if you threw a lot of money into each system, it still depends.

If you got a lot of $, just get speakers and build yourself a room
tongue.gif
Or just own all the top headphone systems.
wink.gif

Oh yeah and reality sometimes sucks.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Let me further ask, then, if every one of the top headphones is exerted to the limit with the best synergy for oneself, which one's sound is the most realistic?
smily_headphones1.gif

Omega II.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #39 of 92
Omega II + Egmont Reference !!!

Best!
Nicola

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hi Doug, what I'm saying is, we chose our headphones of choice specifically because they sound best to us, hence most "realistic and life-like" in comparison to other cans. All there are are subjective opinions on this, no universally agreed gold standard. No one's going to say "well I own the RS-1 even though its completely colored and fake to me with a repulsive sound, and I agree with everyone the HD650 is better and more natural". Or are they?
confused.gif
So it just ends up being a poll of what people own.

i don't agree with you on that one. i don't prefer one phone over another just by owning it.

if i audition a phone that is better then one i own now, i will replace it. that is, if i can afford it.
600smile.gif

for me at the moment the top stax headphones are the best sounding and the hd650; neutral and very detailed sound. hence, they do not add anything to the sound. the stax being a bit better of course then the hd650.

there are two different things however; the best phone that let you hear the best neutral and detailed sound of a recording and there is something like live(-like) sound. in that respect, nothing beats my ears listening to someone who plays an instrument "live".
and one can argue if the recordings are live-like, because the equipment will add something to the recording and the preference of the recording engineer. so, who can really tell if the recording is even close to the live performance? alot of recordings are altered in a studio for some sound effects or to balance the total sound of a recording.

don't forget that even live instruments do sound different in different surroundings!
wink.gif

so, if you ask me again wich phone is the best for reproducing the best recorded sound it would for me be the top end stax and the hd650. if you ask me again about the most live-like headphone, i am not so sure yet! maybe we still could do a little better on that one. maybe a mix of all headphones together?

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #44 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Shang-Ti Chen
But Omega II's bass is not powerful enough to qualify it to be realistic enough.

It does on my system. I don't know about these cans powered by a Stax amp, but these things will rock your noggin' with bass. My wife had to take them off with a Bass Mekanik CD it was so much.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #45 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
It does on my system. I don't know about these cans powered by a Stax amp, but these things will rock your noggin' with bass. My wife had to take them off with a Bass Mekanik CD it was so much.

Is it as slaming and impacting as the best dynamic headphones' like RS-1's or R10's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back