Which Stax amp: SRM-313 or SRM-717 (...or SRM-007t)?
Nov 7, 2005 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Although I'm still faltering back and forth, I think my electrostats are good enough to deserve a better amp at last. My trusty old SRM-T1 still sounds good, but the SRM-313 I had with me for a few days sounded clearly better -- better extension and better dynamics. So my aspirations were growing even higher, thinking of one of the top Staxes.

Now the recent Swiss high-end show offerend the opportunity to compare my two pairs with the Omega II and to get an impression of the differences between the new Stax amps. So I thought. But unfortunately the SRM-717 was missing, and both the SRM-007t amp and the Omega II earspeaker were new and out-of-the-box units. Well, not surprisingly the Omega II sounded clearly inferior to my own electrostats (pale and lame), and the SRM-007t sounded even less dynamic and had even softer attacks compared to the SRM-313 than my own SRM-T1 at home. So actually I had no real clue about what was best for me and was as wise as before, more or less.

Therefore my questions: Is the SRM-717 worth the higher price compared to the SRM-313? Actually I thought I could live with the former, although I believed to detect a slight tinny coloration as the only obvious flaw. I would like a slightly darker, fuller sound, though. The only thing I liked about the SRM-007t I heard at the show was the colorful, well-textured midrange. Can anybody confirm that it actually sounds much more dynamic and lively when burned in and on a similar level as the SRM-313 in this regard? Or is the SRM-717 the only solution for the sound I have in mind?

peacesign.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi Jazz,

I am using the stax 007t at the moment. I think it is dynamic for my needs. A lot of bad things get said about the 007t although this is using the omega 2's with it. But I find more than capable with senn electrostat. It seems more at home.

strangely enough stax headphones usually work better with non stax amps. Maybe it's a synergy thing.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 18
I like the 007t a lot. However, if your SRM-T1 is sounding out of sorts compared to other amps, have you changed the tubes recently? Worn out tubes are cheaper to replace than an amp (in most cases). The amp may still sound good, but it could also have a lot in reserve you will not hear without a fresh set of tubes.

IMO the SRM-007t was clearly a better amp than the SRM-313 the couple of times I was able to compare them. But I'd still check the tubes on your T1.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 18
Well you could get a bit more out of you’re T1 if you replace the horrible input wires and rca jacks with something nicer. I installed WBT Nextgen silver jacks and 28 gauge solid silver wire and it really opened up. New tubes also help a lot and make sure they are properly biased.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks! The tubes must be rather old. A tube replacement looks like a good idea -- and be it for a temporary solution. So which 6CG7/6FQ7 would you recommend for the SRM-T1? From my EMP experiences I'm biased towards EH tubes, as I'm after accurate and neutral instead of euphonic/tubey sound, so I guess NOS tubes wouldn't optimally suit my taste. And how can I adjust the bias?

Replacing the input wires is something to consider, too. The current ones look like solid-core (copper?) wires. Yes, the RCA jacks are of the cheap kind and maybe worth a replacement as well -- but do you really think they affect the sound?

Apart from the SRM-T1 restoration: Nobody to vote for the SRM-717?

peacesign.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 18
I wouldn't say I vote for it, but it is my next upgrade, 717+O2 instead of the sr-404/srm-313 combo I currently have. Maybe I'll get another electrostats amp, dont know yet, upgrading my MPX3 may be possible, I'll have to talk to Mikhail about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 18
Here is a little more info guaranteed to make your decision harder
biggrin.gif

Your srm-t1 is virtually identical to today's srm-006t. Same tube and
one tube per channel. Better parts, but basically the same.

The srm-007t is also almost the same as the srm-006 and srm-t1 except
that it is 2 tubes per channel and about twice the power. Which gives
an extended frequency response.

The srm-313 and the srm-717 are very similar. The srm-717 has a
higher voltage swing and about 1.5 times the power.

So if you like the sound of the srm-313 you are likely to like the sound
of the srm-717.

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Here is a little more info guaranteed to make your decision harder
biggrin.gif

Your srm-t1 is virtually identical to today's srm-006t. Same tube and
one tube per channel. Better parts, but basically the same.

The srm-007t is also almost the same as the srm-006 and srm-t1 except
that it is 2 tubes per channel and about twice the power. Which gives
an extended frequency response.

The srm-313 and the srm-717 are very similar. The srm-717 has a
higher voltage swing and about 1.5 times the power.

So if you like the sound of the srm-313 you are likely to like the sound
of the srm-717.

This is interesting, I'll definately go for a non Stax amp now that you've said this, but I'll keep my SRM-313 for awhile to make sure I prefer an upgraded MPX3, or a Blue Hawaii, or whatever else there is that could synergize well with O2s.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 18
Some time ago I had the opportunity to compare directly a 313,a 717, a 007T and a Rudistor Egmont.
For reasons I can't explain precisely I liked the Rudistor best by far, let's just say it managed to make all music except totally crappy recordings more enjoyable without sacrifycing the strengths of electrostats.
Plus a very good staging/imaging, superior to the Stax amps.
I didn't expect this since Kevin IIRC once mentioned that the Rudistor amps are based on an inferior or even kind of flawed design.
Technically I'm absolutely clueless, all what I have are my ears and the sound.
Somehow Rudi magically managed to squeeze better musicality and better precision out of a maybe simple design.
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to listen to one of the Gilmore designs, maybe they are even better or different or who knows.
And, hmmm, the Egmonts are expensive, at least compared to my disposable income.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 18
Here are instuctions on how to bias the T1. I found them here on Head-fi in some old thread:

Quote:

There are 2 pots per channel.

One of them is the differential pot, and you
put a voltmeter between The two output pins
and adjust for zero. I believe this pot is labeled TVR1
For left channel voltmeter goes between yellow and green
for right channel it is white and red

The other is the dc offset pot, you put a voltmeter
on either output pin and ground and adjust for zero.
I believe this pot is labeled TVR2. For left channel voltmeter
goes between yellow and ground, for right channel it is
white and ground.

You have to do this a number of times, and new tubes
drift like crazy.

The input wires are some cheap stranded copper and the stock rca sockets are a joke and mine were a bit corroded. The main difference was increased clarity and bass impact with the O2's. The 90$ a pair rca sockets might have bean a bit over the top but you should install some better ones. The amp is no Blue Hawaii but it is good enough for some casual listening.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks a lot, Spritzer!

Any tube recommendations? Anybody? Or should I stick with my EH idea?

peacesign.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Thanks a lot, Spritzer!

I like Toshiba 6FQ7's in the 007t. Japanese-made tube with a short box plate. Nothing really special about them, and they're cheap as can be. I almost hesitate to post this...when a tube gets "discovered" prices go up. In the Stax amps, they come alive (a friend of mine uses them in an 006t also). They are sold under a variety of brands. Japanese-made Raytheons are the same tube. I think I've seen them branded Magnavox as well. I had been rolling tubes in and out of the 007t, and stopped completely when I found these. A better-sounding tube than the Mazda-Brimar 6CG7, RCA cleartop, or any of the others I tried (IMO, YMMV etc etc).

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 18
To be honest, I'd say unless you are unhappy with what you've got, just stick with it. I believe that with Stax, spending huge amounts more only brings about marginal improvement - diminishing returns of course.

I'm just relaying advice I received in the last month or so here. I'd been happily using my Stax Lambda Pro Sigs and SRDX Pro energiser for about 12 years, then thought I'd dabble with the idea of an upgrade for the sake of it! I bought the little known SRM-3 from Howard the "Stax Guru" at Simply Stax (what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing!). He tells me that this is better than the SRM 313 and only bettered by the 717, which is rediculously more expensive (the SRM3 cost me about £120, the 717 is about 10 times that). Interestingly, he also told me that the SRDX Pro - a relative budget model in its day - is really only bettered by the 717 too. Since I still have both the SRM3 and SRDX Pro energizers, I can A/B them and I'm not sure under blind conditions I could tell them apart. He also tells me the Lambda Sig Pros give the Omegas a run for their money, and are in fact better than any current variants on that design.

I guess my point is, if you're happy with what you've got just stick with it. "Newer" and "more expensive" doesn't equate to "better", in fact sometimes it's quite the reverse. Whatever you do, you're going to have to spend a lot of money to get even a marginal improvement!

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 18
At the moment I have both SRM-717 and SRM-313 with SR-404 and Lambda Signature.

I would also say that SRM-717 is quite similar when compared to the lower model but seems to offer 'fuller' sound, better bass control - especially with SR-404 - and smoother (or at least less harsh) highs. Also instrument separation is improved.

I was quite impressed when I started using a balanced connection to my source - a marked increase in soundstage width and positioning precision.

SRM-313 may potentially appear to be 'sharper' to some (faster attack?), but in my view its artificially harsh.

As to the original question, if the aim is better extension and dynamics, SRM-007t certainly won't offer it. I felt the same way Jazz did when comparing it to SRM-313. SRM-717 on the other hand is an improvement over SRM-313 in most respects and also more natural sounding.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ

I would go ahead and buy NOS tubes because they are so cheap and will probably last longer then the current production ones. I replaced the (stock?) Philips ECG tubes with some Westinghouse and that was a big improvement in all areas. I recently installed some Sylvanias and there is definitely a bit more detail and the highs are a bit more extended but I have to put in some more listening hours to finalize my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back