Which SR-009 amp sounds the most realistic to you?
Oct 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Music Alchemist

Pokémon trainer of headphones
Which electrostatic headphone amplifier sounds the most realistic to you with the STAX SR-009?

(To clarify, the most realistic sound would be transparent and neutral, sounding like real life, as opposed to warm, lush, colored, fun, bright, dark, etc.)

Please share any relevant details, such as a list of other amps you heard (including versions, tubes, upgrades, modifications, etc.), descriptions of what sounded more realistic to you in comparison, how long you heard them, and so on.

If you feel that one amp sounds more realistic with certain genres and another excels with others, or that other components in the chain made a difference, feel free to elaborate.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 82
Hello, 

The only way to know is to do a direct comparison, for example, a trio Piano, Violin, Cello recorded on a digital tape recorder and listened with the headphone system of your choice, in direct comparison with the instruments in true. 

This type of confrontation am particularly interested in to decide the Abyss Vs 009 is best on veracity of timbre (tone) reproduced (for these musical instruments). 

Then we can have fun experimenting with different amps (with the same headphones). 
Very clever one who can say in advance which combinations headphones - amps the sound is the fairest and most realistic. 
Surprises in the end? 

We must make these comparison, and then judge.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 82
  ive heard the 009 at meets through BHSE, aristaeus, and Cavalli liquid lightning.
I cant give the best impressions, as it was meet environments, but the BHSE always seemed so clear and pure, as if the BHSE had no influence on the sound coming through it.  It didn't color the sound, or hide any area of the sounds.

The 009/BHSE combo is the only pair that ive heard that puts it in a class of its own, compared to other flagship headphones with high end amps.

That's the gist of what I've heard about the BHSE and why I want it more than the other amps.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 82

That's the gist of what I've heard about the BHSE and why I want it more than the other amps.

Please stop, you're going to get Eric angry and you know what happens then! (3 pages about verto)

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 82
Always teasing, Arnaud 
ph34r.gif

Ali

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 82
  Please stop, you're going to get Eric angry and you know what happens then! (3 pages about verto)

Always teasing, Arnaud 
ph34r.gif

hehe. Although I'm not really interested in using a normal headphone amp with electrostatic headphones, I heard a rumor that the best sound you can get out of them is by using the "right" speaker amp and converter. Until proven otherwise, I'll just consider it to be a rumor, even though that's what a STAX dealer told someone I know.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 82

You are late, Arnaud
wink.gif
. I no longer involved for some time in the Verto thread on Head-Fi (wrongly, the subject does not interest many people), but I keep on the thread Verto on HCFR (we're already at 18 pages of discussion, and 10,700 consultations, only two months after it started of this thread).. http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178275698.html#p178275698

After that, if people want to spend 6500 dollars for a BHSE (without listening first?) Then realize that this is perhaps not the best association with headphones Stax SR-009 (at least with the original tubes), up to you see. 

At the moment I am very happy with my combination (amp - headphone) that works very well. 

Why bother spending more ? why want to wait 2 1/2 years an amplifier ? (I could pay me), especially if the results are mixed when hearing 009 (headphone not without faults) (you know the opinion of Superfred 21 on the question: TotalDac D1 + BHSE (tubes original ) + SR-009 : are not optimal).

Eric

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 82
Verto is moar better than anything. So best moar realistic. Verto is cheaper moar than anything. Verto moare betterly drives all phones. (just trying to shill my way to a great discount!)

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 82
After that, if people want to spend 6500 dollars for a BHSE (without listening first?) Then realize that this is perhaps not the best assiciation with headphones Stax SR-009 (at least with the original tubes), up to you see.

That's a valid consideration about the tubes. Many BHSE owners say that it sounds best with the Psvane EL34PH tubes.

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 82
David1961 is often praising about Psvane on BHSE, but I haven't read so much other member's statement.
BTW, Justin's statement about them is kinda rough : http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/6075#post_10944752
Even David acknowledges they are not-so-flawlessly operating : http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/3300#post_10893336

Other well-known options are Shuguang treasure 6ca7-z (proposed by Justin) or NOS Mullards (when you find them at a reasonable price).

Ali

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 82
  Some thoughts about it : http://www.head-fi.org/t/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/2895#post_9076522

Ali

Thanks. That's such a huge thread I never bothered reading through it all. Guess it would be helpful for me to go through it and take notes. Tube rolling should be fun, once I have the opportunity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back