Which software based eq should I use?
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jo-JS

Head-Fier
Hello,
My stack is as follows:

PC windows 10>topping e30 DAC>schiit magnius headphone amp>Beyer dynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm modded to balanced (and several other full sized headphones that are all balanced)

I was thinking of adding a vacuum tube preamp with bass and treble shelf's, or a balanced equalizer I happen to have but have been advised against it and was suggested to use software based eq.

I've heard about Equalizer APO, Bongiovi DPS and Boom 3D.

I'd love to hear opinions and other suggestions. I mainly hear music through this setup, and 99% rock and metal. Most of my files are flac ripped by myself from CDs at the highest quality preset

Thanks

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 11
EqualizerAPO is super feature complete and easy to use so it's what I'd recommend, but having not used those other two I can't really compare it to them.

I'm using it now. At first I started off with just playing around with the countless presets by Oratory1990 or those that simply tune your headphones to Harman. Then I played around with using autoEQ to tune my headphones from the FR of one headphone to another (can explain how if anyone is curious), and finally I've started playing around with manually creating my own EQ presets. Currently listening to $15 IEMs and with the custom EQ I made I'm enjoying them as much as my favourite pair of headphones I own (K702).

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I use stereotool that is a plugin compatible with winamp, musicbee, and older versions of mediamonkey. Like you, I use a win 10 tower that I built for multimedia purposes. My library is ripped FLAC.

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 11
I've started using FXSound. Notice a big difference in sound. It's a free software.
1702504300293.png

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 11
For those who want to use Equalizer APO (Windows), just take a look at Peace Equalizer. It's an interface software for Equalizer APO.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 11
I used DMG Audio Equilibrium and have to say was one of the best in business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back