Which Sennheisers?
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

akong

Head-Fier
Hey guys. So I've been looking to buy some better headphones, and have heard some good things about Sennheisers. I was just wondering, which of their cans would you recommend, cause I'm having some trouble deciding. I've looked through their products, and I'm leaning towards the HD 438s or HD 448s. I listen to rock music (at maximum volume, mind you.), and I love me some loud bass. My audio instrument of choice is my iPhone, and iPad when I'm at home. I prefer closed ear headphones. My price range is $150 max. Which headphones should I get? Thanks so much!

-Alex

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 19
gonna say the HD25's. Theyre easily driven out of an iphone, fun sounding, and the bass response is decent from what I heard. They should be around 100-150 dollars used. There was a deal a few days ago where they were 40 dollars, but it was US exclusive
confused_face.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 19
Alex $150 US or ? The HD448 should cost a lot less in USD, they cost about 50 SGD. 
Anyway, for bass, I say go for Sennheiser HD438, if you really want Sennheiser.
I've used it for a few months and I'm quite happy with it.

Only downside is that I can't get the bass to extend all the way down to 20-30Hz, it's only
audible for me at about 45-48Hz max volume. Maybe it's just my laptop's horrible sound
card, I don't know.

Quote:
X2 on HD 438. The bass is fuller while the HD 448 will offer a more balanced and detailed sound. 

You work at Sennheiser Singapore branch?

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 19
Yes, I'm with Sennheiser Consumer Electronics, the business unit responsible for the product life management of our headphones. We're located just next door to our sales subsidiary - Sennheiser Asia - in Alexandra Technopark.

Quote:

You work at Sennheiser Singapore branch?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Hey guys. So I've been looking to buy some better headphones, and have heard some good things about Sennheisers. I was just wondering, which of their cans would you recommend, cause I'm having some trouble deciding. I've looked through their products, and I'm leaning towards the HD 438s or HD 448s. I listen to rock music (at maximum volume, mind you.), and I love me some loud bass. My audio instrument of choice is my iPhone, and iPad when I'm at home. I prefer closed ear headphones. My price range is $150 max. Which headphones should I get? Thanks so much!

-Alex

Heya,

Bypass those HD4xx headphones. They've got good sound but their construction is of the wimpiest I've ever held in my hands with dinky string cords that go on forever for a Sennheiser.

Look at the following in your budget range:

Shure 840
Ultrasone HFI 580 (or Pro 550)
Sony ZX700
BeyerDynamic DT770 (used)
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Yeah, the senns are probably best only if you really want a pair of Sennheisers. There are many more viable options out there that are better suited to your preferences, I would recommend the Shure 840s as well, that or a pair of ultrasone HFI- 580s as well. You probably want to lean more toward DJ style headphones, as they're usually the bass predominant ones.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Heya,

Bypass those HD4xx headphones. They've got good sound but their construction is of the wimpiest I've ever held in my hands with dinky string cords that go on forever for a Sennheiser.

Look at the following in your budget range:

Shure 840
Ultrasone HFI 580 (or Pro 550)
Sony ZX700
BeyerDynamic DT770 (used)
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Very best,

I sometimes wonder why I bother jumping into junior head-fier advice threads. By the time I get here, Malveaux has already given good advice.
I'll say +1 to all of these, especially the 280 pro if you want to come in significantly under $150.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 19
I'm not sure if Sennheisers in general are all that good for bass-heavy listening.

I would go with the DT 770s. The cheapest version possible which is the pro version.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I ended up getting the Grado 225is, after reading around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back