Which power tubes for WA6?
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
I just got my WA6 from jack last week, and have been enjoying it.

Since then, i've searched head-fi for threads about drive tubes... but, to be honest, found only one thread which contained a list of compatible tubes.

like an idiot, i scanned the list, meaning to print it later. but, the next day when i tried to find it again, i couldn't.
frown.gif

aside from that one thread, which was only a list with no qualities of the tubes, there seems to be very scant information on drive tubes for the WA6.

there are plenty - trust me - plenty about the Sophia and EML 274b. I've found thread after thread about rectifiers. But close to nothing about drive tubes.
tongue_smile.gif

if anyone out there knows which tubes sound nice and can provide a note on their sound, i would be very grateful.

by the way, my WA6 was built in february of this year. is not maxxed, but does have the now-stock PDPS.
i don't know squat about tubes, or if any of that information affects which tubes i can use.

also, i received 6FD7 tubes from jack. no label on the tube other than 6FD7. lots of discoloration inside the glass. one of the tubes' posts are crooked, so it sits at an angle, which annoys me to no end. they sound alright, i guess.

i'm sorry for the long inquiry. there's so much more i want to ask, but i'll just wait to see what responses come in... thank you guys so much!!

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 27
well. i have a k702, which i could swear was burned in pretty good. but it sounds different every time i listen. argh!
mad.gif

and i also have the 600 ohm dt990. which is not burned in at all. it still sounds "pinched" in the upper frequencies. but sounds promising...

i thought i had to have adaptors to use the 6ew7 ??
confused_face.gif

is that no longer the case?

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 27
no adapters needed for 6EW7's on WA6's made in the last 22 months

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 27
awesome! thanks, atbglenn!
i've read the 6ew7 aren't as dynamic but have wider headstage?
is this your experience? do you like the 6ew7?

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 27
I find Sylvania 6EW7's are really nice for jazz. They do have a wider soundstage than 6DE7's, but since I mostly listen to classic rock, I find RCA 6DE7's with shield sound a bit better, more dynamic and punchier to me.

DSC_1607.jpg

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 27
beerchug.gif

classic rock is what i listen to as well.
thanks for the info, atbglenn!

i read somewhere about the 6sn7 tube being compatible? can anyone verify this? it looks to be a completely different animal, as it has a solid base, and is a little larger than the 6de7, 6fd7, or 6ew7.
would also be a different animal in that it is currently in production...

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

classic rock is what i listen to as well.
thanks for the info, atbglenn!

i read somewhere about the 6sn7 tube being compatible? can anyone verify this? it looks to be a completely different animal, as it has a solid base, and is a little larger than the 6de7, 6fd7, or 6ew7.
would also be a different animal in that it is currently in production...

With adapters yes. But I have no experience with them. You can get adapters directly from Woo

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 27
okay, atbglenn. one last question and i swear i'll leave you alone.
tongue.gif

where do you find the rca 6de7 with shield?
everywhere i've looked, the 6de7 sells as "assorted brands", with no ability to tell what you'll get...

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 27
alright. thanks, guys!
i guess i can take it from here - ??? hahahaha.
bigsmile_face.gif

i'll get a pair each of the 6de7, and 6ew7, and go from there...

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 27
TheWuss, You are not bothering me at all my friend
smily_headphones1.gif

I got mine from thetubestore.com or tubedepot.com, I can't remember which one exactly. You have to call them and ask. Hopefully they have a few in stock. I was also able to get a couple off of ebay as well. You have to search ebay everyday and sometimes they show up. Best of luck in your search!

Glenn

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 27
yeah, I cant say i heard too much difference between brands. i like the way the rca 6ew7 looks the most so i use those :p

the 6de7 to me had some kind of graininess to the highs that I didn't care for. ebay is a good place to look and prices are real low, there are a few stores there that say they test them too.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 27
I don't notice any graininess with the RCA 6DE7's I'm using. It's also possible my ears aren't as good as yours.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 27
so, i called the tube store, and ordered 3 pairs of tubes.
i asked for the RCA 6de7, and the clerk chuckled. he said that since it has become the head-fi tube of choice with the WA6, that they simply have become too rare. he said all this before i even told him which amp i have. apparently, the wa6 is the virtually the only amp in the world built around this tube variation.

ha. figures.
so, i ordered these to try:

Sylvania 6de7
Raytheon fat bottle 6fd7
RCA 6ew7

hopefully my ears will like one of these sets...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back