Which Pink Floyd to get?
Dec 24, 2002 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
I found an outstanding deal on the Shine On box set that makes it about the same price as buying the albums individually. The indecision comes in that the box set is 1992 remasters and there are new 2000 remasters of most of the CDs. Should I buy the CDs individually or get the Shine On box? Thanks for any advice.

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Are the new issues actually new remasters or simply reissues? Sometimes the copyright date doesn't tell the whole story.

I have the box set myself and the sound is not bad. I'd be interested to hear from anyone if the new versions are even better.

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 17
I dunno, there's also some talk about new DVD-A remasters, or at least for DSOTM. I'm hoping they will be hybrids. There's also the old MFSL releases, anyone know how they compare to the newest CD releases?

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 17
I have some MoFi Pink Floyd cds and they sound much better that the <commercial> cds much more <analogue> like
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 17
the 92 remasters are excellent. (yes, I did get to hear them on a high quality set, not my own...)

Dec 26, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 17
I ended up with the Pink Floyd Shine on box, the old master of meddle, and a MoFi ultradisc of meddle*, so I will hold a three-way remastering shoot-out or something of the sort. Surprising that all that only cost $150...

*long, uninteresting story how I ended up with all three versions.

Dec 27, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 17
OK. The Pink Floyd albums in stores have a remaster copyright of 1992 and a productin copyright of 2000. Sounds like they're just unboxed Shine On remasters to me. So, the Shine On box is really cool but a little expensive and you're not missing out on anything audio-wise by buying the CDs separately.

Dec 27, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 17
yeah, I think they just did another run of 92 remasters in 2000.

I'm just getting them one by one. as much as I love PF, dropping all that cash at once for the Shine On box is just a bit too much. box sets do look great on the shelve tho!

Dec 28, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Yeah, the book is good stuff. I'm glad I got the boxed set because it only cost me $135. For people paying upwards of $170 it's a bit pricey, IMO.

Hmmm... DSOTM on SACD on March 3... hooray! Hopefully they'll get a few more PF SACDs out in the future.

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
Hmmm... DSOTM on SACD on March 3... hooray! Hopefully they'll get a few more PF SACDs out in the future.

Ooh. Where was this news? Is it dual layer? Any other big title announcements?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the other thread.

Dec 29, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 17
Just an aside, but does anyone know the real scoop on the "Shine On" box set? So many people have told me it is out of print but I have seen so many on ebay and every once in awhile they have it on amazon. Are they re releasing it or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back