Which pair is better for first Headphones?
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Plantain990

New Head-Fier
I want a good open style headphone for under 200 dollars. the 2 I am looking at are the Sennheiser HD558 and the Grado Sr80i. I listen to Rock ( Alt-Rock and classic Rock), Top 40 popish songs, and Electronic songs while I am gaming. I plan on buying a good amp later, but I want one that my Ipod classic can run and it still sounds good. I would want it to have a decent soundstage.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 5
  What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?  This choice comes down to that.

The HD 598 is the safer choice and is generally considered to be more comfortable.

The Grado is a bit easier to drive.

I'm going to agree with the HD598. It's usually $250 but sometimes drops to the $180 for holidays and other promotions. Even at $250 it's worth every penny.

I'll also say that aside from the sound quality being amazing, the HD598/HD600/HD650 are amongst the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn and have a nice wide soundstage. I can easily wear each for several hours with 0 fatigue.

If you plan on buying an amp later, I would recommend the Schiit Magni (AMP) and Modi (DAC). Get both the AMP and the DAC, you won't regret it. There are lots of other options out there, but this is one I have personal experience with and the price-to-performance is really, really hard to beat.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I started with the HD380 Pro and since have also had the HD555 , 595 and 598. The 598 was the best of the open ones. I've only used it stock and with Fiio e11. With the e11 it was excellent for classic rock and hard rock/metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back