Which open headphone for me ?
Jul 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hanouk

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new here, and so far I spent many hours reading interesting things on head-fi, it helped me a lot for selecting my new portable source + closed cans.

So I'm having, in a few days, a Fiio X3 with a pair of Soundmagic HP100 for home and also sometimes in the train, during flights or environments with no extreme noise (parks, etc).

I decided to buy this because I used a Ultrasone HFI-780 for ..... well .... practically 6 years, and though I like 780 for most of what I listen to, I want to change and have something with a different sound, that's why I made the choice of the HP100, from what I read I hope I'm not going wrong with this choice (as I listen a lot to smooth and lounge music, much more than a few years ago when I was an electro druggie, you understand why I liked the HFI-780, even with those pads ..). I hope I will enjoy the HP100 on ambient and instrumental musics.

But I still want to buy, on top of the HP100, an additional pairs, opened circum (what I like the most), that would be complementary and different to the HP100. Only home use .The HP100 are said to be all rounder with neutral sound, a little warm, good for smooth sounds and no peak in frequency. I still look for cans with strong soundstage, but which could be excellent for funk, rock or instrumentals. The HFI780 I have already do a good job on these genres but I search for something different. So, for the criteria :

Type : Opened over-ear 
 Price : 250/300$
 Sound : complementary to HP100, so not as much neutral, excellent soundstage and details, with a marked sound signature. Used for a lot of genres, funk, g-funk (rap), downtempo, electro, progressive rock, movies, games ... However I want a headphone that would be also different from my current HFI-780. I'm still not very familiar with some audio terms , but if both HFI-780 and HP100 are said not to have analytical signatures, then why not try to have an analytical headphone ?
 Need amp : Does'nt matter except if the headphone need considerable power. I have an Aune T1 amp my father uses with his Takstar HI-2050.
 Comfort : of course comfort is always to be considered, but I'm not as difficult as some people, I got used to HFI780's pads for 6 years, and only after several hours I have headache.
 Source : Fiio X3 or computer (with Aune T1 if needed), lossless files.

I tried to seek for some headphones, and there are so many items ... I would be pleased to discover a "classic" brand such as Sennheiser or Grado, but though I read a lot about these brands, I definitely still cannot find my best choice.

Thank for your answer, sorry for grammar (I'm French). Sorry for the wrong section, I've just checked, should a moderator move my thread or I re do it ? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 12
The only headphones that I personally want around your price range are the Focal Spirit Professional ($349, more neutral and balanced) and V-MODA Crossfade M-100 ($310, more fun and colored), and both happen to be closed-back.

The Philips Fidelio X1 and AKG K701 may be worth checking out.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Analytical - Q701, K712, K701
Sennheiser (Laidback sound) - HD598, HD600
Philips Fidelio X1

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the answers, I note the references.

Well I read a bit the glossary for sounds. What I'm seeking for would be something a bit warm, with nice frequencies in lows and midrange (low and mid mids), and delicate in highs (so Grado should not fit well, I don't like strident sounds). Overall soundstage and analytical are important.
I also took a look to the buying guide, and I've again noticed headphones I already known, like the HD650, the HE-300/400 or the Q701. The K701 was my target for months but I don't know if now it could be as pleasant as I know more about sound signatures of headphones.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 12
  Thanks for the answers, I note the references.

Well I read a bit the glossary for sounds. What I'm seeking for would be something a bit warm, with nice frequencies in lows and midrange (low and mid mids), and delicate in highs (so Grado should not fit well, I don't like strident sounds). Overall soundstage and analytical are important.
I also took a look to the buying guide, and I've again noticed headphones I already known, like the HD650, the HE-300/400 or the Q701. The K701 was my target for months but I don't know if now it could be as pleasant as I know more about sound signatures of headphones.

I don't think the AKG series would be a good if you want something with delicate highs. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 12
So after selection, I still have :

Fidelio X1
Sennheiser HD598/600/650.

Based on my ideal sound signature wanted " something a bit warm, with nice frequencies in lows and midrange (low and mid mids), and delicate in highs (so Grado should not fit well, I don't like strident sounds). Overall soundstage and analytical are important. "

The Focal and VModa are closed, I would want an opened headphone (my first one).

If 'm not wrong, I think that the HD650 would be more good for me than the HD600. 

I'm still opened to any other suggestion 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 12
  So after selection, I still have :

Fidelio X1
Sennheiser HD598/600/650.

Based on my ideal sound signature wanted " something a bit warm, with nice frequencies in lows and midrange (low and mid mids), and delicate in highs (so Grado should not fit well, I don't like strident sounds). Overall soundstage and analytical are important. "

The Focal and VModa are closed, I would want an opened headphone (my first one).

If 'm not wrong, I think that the HD650 would be more good for me than the HD600. 

I'm still opened to any other suggestion 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, most of the headphones I want are open, but significantly more expensive. I haven't done as much research on open mid-fi headphones.

If you're willing to go a little higher, the beyerdynamic DT 990 has been described as warm, clear, crisp, full, and natural.

There are varying opinions on the HD 600, which is more neutral, and the HD 650, which you might find to be more enjoyable to listen to. I suggest perusing reviews to get a feel for what is best suited for you. If you can find specific comparisons between the ones that fit your criteria, it'll make it easier. Or you could try visiting a shop that has them in stock and allows auditions.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 12
Go for the 650's. I thought DT 990's were V shaped.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 12
If I may, I would suggest either the Audio-Technica AD900's or the AKG Q701's. now, either one has its own separate variance. The Q701's have an extremely airy, and sometimes harsh treble. However, this can be controlled with equalization fairly easily. The Audio-Technicas on the other hand lack in deeper bass emphasis, which is a bit tougher to fix. I found that while the Q's can have their bass adjusted all around with a FiiO E11, the AT's still struggle near the low end; it helps, but not 100%. Still, these headphones are my top 2 right now. Q's come first, I believe they are simply gorgeous when it comes to electronic and EDM in general, while the AT's come in slightly behind, but excel in the classical/ acoustics genre leagues above anything else that I own.

Just my $.02 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back